R there boards similar to evo? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default R there boards similar to evo?

Hi,

I am currently riding a 2011 evo, and I absolutely love it. It is great for park and it still does alright around the mtn. Just out of interest, is there any board out in the market that has similar pop and flex to the evo that is a camber (or std camber) between the bindings?

Cheers
J
jeremy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

There probably is, but I have to ask why youre looking for such a board? When you stand on the evo you press the ends down and you effectively have camber plus extra downforce between the bindings so you have as much or even more edge in the snow as a traditional camber board.
Dont get me wrong I love camber too but the flex of an evo is pretty soft, generally those who seek camber want a stiffer ride.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

The evo works great on groomed runs, but when it comes to slushy conditions it becomes a little unstable. My local mtn is usually very slushy/bumpy and I just want a board that is just as fun as my evo, but can also provide the stability I am looking for.

FYI, I have tried the DC PLY, which works much better in those condition, but it is lacking the pop from my evo.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy86 View Post
I just want a board that is just as fun as my evo, but can also provide the stability I am looking for.
I don't think you can really have both. Playful is at the expense of stability and vice versa. You can have a mix of both but the most stable board isn't as playful, etc. I've been wrong before(I think it was in '97), so let me know if you find it.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy86 View Post
The evo works great on groomed runs, but when it comes to slushy conditions it becomes a little unstable. My local mtn is usually very slushy/bumpy and I just want a board that is just as fun as my evo, but can also provide the stability I am looking for.

FYI, I have tried the DC PLY, which works much better in those condition, but it is lacking the pop from my evo.
Yeah you're most likely going to have to choose. Maybe Proto CT (and dump your evo). Supposedly it has better Pop than the Evo.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn.K View Post
I don't think you can really have both. Playful is at the expense of stability and vice versa. You can have a mix of both but the most stable board isn't as playful, etc. I've been wrong before(I think it was in '97), so let me know if you find it.
Does that mean the camber of the board has no relation to stability, but rather the stiffness of the board?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

There is an ongoing debate for camber vs rocker on stability so I wouldn't say there is none. I learned on standard many years ago but all I buy is reverse camber or rockered, now. I relate stiffness with stability but there is also damping. Manufacturers use different materials and layup to get more damping which takes the smaller vibrations and twitches in the terrain out of your ride. A park board will let you feel every bump and divot. It's a personal preference, though. You can have stiff with max damping, stiff with minimal damping, etc. As far as park boards, the EVO arguably has the best damping. My kid rides the 157. I just got a 160 Proto(which "might" be what you're looking for). I would recommend finding a mountain that has a dealer that let's you demo. Pay for a demo rental, ride it for an hour, bring it back and swap out for another one. I did that with some libs at Tahoe.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In general NS boards (even the softer Evo) are more damp than boards from other companies with similar flex. I've owned an Evo, couple SL's, couple Heritages, Raptor, and Cobra on the way for this very reason.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dampness does not equal stability.

An Evo is more damp than a Jones Flagship, but way less stable.

So you're looking for the Evo ride, but Camrock.

The Salomon Villain is pretty close,the Flow Shifty will be a bit stiffer but has the same camber profile as the Ply but way more snappy (If you're 120-150lbs I have a 150 for sale, sigged), Rossignol Trickstick, YES Jackpot maybe but I don't know if it rides well and in the past YES's have had very hard to initiate pop zones, or a Forum Kitchen Sink if you're more than 150lbs.

For full camber look at the Signal Park, Bataleon FunKink, Whatever, or GW.

3 Stage might satisfy as well, K2 Parkstar or Fastplant, Capita GM, Echelon Franken, or Rome Postermania.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote