Cracked base is this Fixable - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cracked base is this Fixable

HI my first Post

I got this big nasty crack on my back foot toe side and wonder if it's possible to fix it.

Last year was kind of Warm in my Region so the board took a lot of beating.

The crack started at the Patern which on this board is made from separate pieces. So I guess that's kind of a weak point.

When I put pressure on the sides the crack actually opens up a bit and I could actually feel the board flexing while riding on that side.

Like you can see in the picture the wood is allready showing.

I have P-Tex candles since I have to fix my girlfriend's board as well but would consider buying some epoxy to fill up the gauge.

I would really like to fix this board.

Last edited by masamoto; 09-26-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Pic
masamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

That looks down to the core. No way in hell I'd try to fix that, even if possible. Thats my opinion though...
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's what i feared. I played with the idea a bit that i will fill the crack with epoxy and close the base with p-tex. But when i start this i have to fill out all the other stuff trough the board since it took quite a beating last year.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh god that's nothing slap some ptex in it and call it good enough.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Oh god that's nothing slap some ptex in it and call it good enough.
? Really... Is there a special way i should put it in.
I saw a lot of People say that they use soldering irons what seems kind of good since you can actually melt the original base as well. And you don't get the soot i guess since it's not burning.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lot of how to's out there on the internet for ptex repairs. Trim loose material, clean out area. melt in some ptex, scrape it smooth.

shops have ptex irons and can do a nicer/cleaner repair, people have been filling in there own with ptex candles for years.

is it just me or are a lot of people on this forum bitches about board damage. Seem like everytime some makes a post about board damage half the responses are "its totaled, dont even try to fix it, let alone ride it...time for a new board." All my boards are beat up, cracked core, missing edge section, puckered edges, delams, ect...seal the damage so it doesnt let water into the core and ride the thing. I've rode a splitboard with one ski snapped in half, guess what it was fine and i made it down the hill without bursting into flames. whats the worst that can happen.

funny thing, when i lived in washinton were you actually get real base all my boards were cherry, move to montana and its core shot city.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks man i'm going to attempt a fix and post the results.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
lot of how to's out there on the internet for ptex repairs. Trim loose material, clean out area. melt in some ptex, scrape it smooth.

shops have ptex irons and can do a nicer/cleaner repair, people have been filling in there own with ptex candles for years.

is it just me or are a lot of people on this forum bitches about board damage. Seem like everytime some makes a post about board damage half the responses are "its totaled, dont even try to fix it, let alone ride it...time for a new board." All my boards are beat up, cracked core, missing edge section, puckered edges, delams, ect...seal the damage so it doesnt let water into the core and ride the thing. I've rode a splitboard with one ski snapped in half, guess what it was fine and i made it down the hill without bursting into flames. whats the worst that can happen.

funny thing, when i lived in washinton were you actually get real base all my boards were cherry, move to montana and its core shot city.
Its just difference of opinion about damage. Not trying to brag, but I make money and if my board gets core damage, I'm going to buy a new one. I've repaired gouges, but none as deep as OP's look. Everyone has their own way to deal. Mine is fuck it and buy a new one.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well i make money as well but i'm kind of trying not to spend it all on stuff that doesn't have to be replaced. As long as i can't kill myself or someone else with it it's fine with me.
Cause there are some other things to spend money on instead of a Board that i use less than a dozen times a year.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masamoto View Post
Well i make money as well but i'm kind of trying not to spend it all on stuff that doesn't have to be replaced. As long as i can't kill myself or someone else with it it's fine with me.
Cause there are some other things to spend money on instead of a Board that i use less than a dozen times a year.
I guess you need to start using the board more than a dozen times a season then

Last edited by sleev-les; 09-26-2012 at 06:39 PM.