Worth Hauling My Gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
livelyjay

Default Worth Hauling My Gear?

So, trip to Colorado is two weeks away (April 12-19). There are only three resorts in the area I'll be that are open that week: Breckenridge, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin. I was told my Copper Mountain that the US Forest Service makes them close on the 13th (assuming the same for Monarch, Vail, Beaver Creek, etc). So with only three resorts servicing Colorado Springs/Denver, is it worth it for me and my wife to haul our gear with us ($25 fee for United, those fleecing bastards)? I would love to try out my brand new board, bindings, and boots, but not sure if the effort is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

I say yes it's worth it. Specially with new equipment, plus I think loveland is also still open. Conditions in A-basin should be pretty good. Go for it. I had no idea that united charges money for equipment. Delta, Frontier and Continental have never charged me before. I hope they don't charge me now.

Last edited by Simply^Ride; 04-02-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
livelyjay

United started charging $25 for your second checked bag. They might charge extra on top of that for oversized bags (golf clubs, snowboards, skis, etc).

Loveland is too far from where I am going to be. My dad has 20 acres on the back side of Pike's Peak, near Hartsel. So it's a pretty quick drive up to the three resorts that I know will be open.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
rewind

I've been to Keystone once, and I would say it's worth the $25! LOVED it there!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Just go for it men, you will regret it when you want to ride and you end up renting gear for $25 bucks or demo good gear for $40. Might as well take your own
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gustov

if it was me i would definitely take my own. having new stuff the entire offseason would eat away at me.

would it be cheaper to mail it? if it's going to your dad's it should be a safe place to have it delivered, if you could be sure it would get there on time
Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
livelyjay

Too risky to ship it. I don't trust UPS/FedEx enough to get it there on time and in one piece.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
b_to_the_c

i would absolutely bring my own gear. went to whistler back in january, and there was no way i was going up there and using equipment i was unfamiliar with. besides, what better way to break in your new gear than taking it on the road for a week? looking into shipping is definitely a good idea. i've read a lot of folks are doing stuff like that to get around those airline back-checking charges. though, the difference in cost is probably not that much.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I definitely say it's worth it. This is a picture from yesterday in the backcountry off of Berthoud pass.

It was freakin' blower. The way the weather pattern is setting up you could easily have some huge powder days or great sunshine spring riding. The base is plenty deep. The Forest service closure is bs, but the resorts do close early. Loveland and A-basin will definitely be open and are great places to ride. Unless it's an absolute blizzard, Loveland should be a fantastic place. If it's sunny, it is mostly open slopes that get lot's of sun. So you'll have perfect corn, if it's snowing, well perfect blower is usually ok with everyone. A-Basin is much the same. I haven't heard of anyone extending their season. If the numbers are there, you can bet a resort or two will stay open longer.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote