Picking new NS board- need advice please! - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Jeez, settle down people - it was just a light-hearted dig, not a personal attack.

My physical stats (5'9" and 145-155 lbs) are openly posted on this forum. As is my location (HK), from which it is easy to see that the average woman here weighs less than 110lbs, which makes 160lbs quite huge (and yes, heavier than me).

Oh, and:

Anything other than an Evo (which is plenty for all-mountain riding) is still a retarded suggestion. Even the Evo is stiffer or at least as stiff as the Infinity. Proto much stiffer.
Insult her now call me a retard? I said proto because she's looking at the 152. 160lbs on a 152 Evo is a joke for all mountain. I'm 145 and on the 152 it was flapping like a vagina down Breckenridge's blues. My 153 Coda killed it going down Squaw's blacks and blues, no flapping.

At 152, in my opinion the Proto is perfect for a 160lb person. If she bumped up the sizes that would be different. But at 152 I don't think the Evo is any good unless she never goes fast. She said she wanted to go fast and not get squirrely.

You're telling me the 152 Evo on a 160lb frame is perfect for that?

At 5'8" 160 lb is perfectly normal. And if shaped right, hella sexy (not all 160 lbs are created equal)
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Insult her now call me a retard? I said proto because she's looking at the 152. 160lbs on a 152 Evo is a joke for all mountain. I'm 145 and on the 152 it was flapping like a vagina down Breckenridge's blues. My 153 Coda killed it going down Squaw's blacks and blues, no flapping.

At 152, in my opinion the Proto is perfect for a 160lb person. If she bumped up the sizes that would be different. But at 152 I don't think the Evo is any good unless she never goes fast. She said she wanted to go fast and not get squirrely.
Where did I insult her?

Also I never called you a retard - I merely stated that your recommendation was retarded. I stand by that statement.
Proto is way too much board for a girl with her riding profile and foot size - unless she relly is muscle-packed (as I have been saying from my very first post in this thread).

Quote:
You're telling me the 152 Evo on a 160lb frame is perfect for that?
Yes, the Evo is perfect for her.

Quote:
At 5'8" 160 lb is perfectly normal. And if shaped right, hella sexy (not all 160 lbs are created equal)
I never said she was not normal - although she certainly would not be where I am from. The facts are the facts...

Last edited by hktrdr; 10-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Well this was a fun thread... for anyone interested here is a pic of my stomach Tummy (sorry boys, no naked photos today!). That should not have been necessary as this thread was about a new snowboard, but when I get accused of being fat I like to defend myself.

Moving on, the reason I don't want to go longer than 152 is because I think the waist width would get too big for my feet. Is it true that the evo has about as much flex as the infinity, or is that bullshit? Would the proto be about the same stiffness as a women's all mountain, or would it be stiffer since its a guys board? I think that is the confusion I am having, I was under the impression weight and not strength is the factor in board length, but it seems like some people think otherwise.
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
Well this was a fun thread... for anyone interested here is a pic of my stomach Tummy (sorry boys, no naked photos today!). That should not have been necessary as this thread was about a new snowboard, but when I get accused of being fat I like to defend myself.
I don't think anybody accused you of being fat - I certainly did not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
Moving on, the reason I don't want to go longer than 152 is because I think the waist width would get too big for my feet. Is it true that the evo has about as much flex as the infinity, or is that bullshit? Would the proto be about the same stiffness as a women's all mountain, or would it be stiffer since its a guys board? I think that is the confusion I am having, I was under the impression weight and not strength is the factor in board length, but it seems like some people think otherwise.
Both the Evo and the Proto are stiffer than the Infinity (the all-mountain board for girls). According to the NS chart the Evo is the same as the Lotus (the big mountain board for girls), but that is a bit misleading - it is slightly softer longitudinally and slightly stiffer torsionally.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you ever point the board straight, the 152 Evo will start flapping on you. That's all Ill say about that.

If the terrain is not perfect, same thing. It's not a noodle but it's pretty soft.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Why would anyone take snowboarding advice from someone who lives in Hong Kong? Seriously.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
If you ever point the board straight, the 152 Evo will start flapping on you. That's all Ill say about that.

If the terrain is not perfect, same thing. It's not a noodle but it's pretty soft.
It beats not being able to turn...

The fundamental issue with her going for a men's board is that that longitudinal and torsional flexes will not match - anything with the right longitudinal flex (possibly the Proto) will be way to stiff torsionally. The only thing even remotely close in terms of torsional flex is the Evo.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
Why would anyone take snowboarding advice from someone who lives in Hong Kong? Seriously.
Why should they not? What does my location have to do with the quality of my advice? How about providing specific criticisms on my suggestions rather than attacking the source (based on my choice of location of all things).

But if you really want to compare credentials:
I spend at 100+ days riding a year between the northern and southern hemisphere and have been involved in the industry (albeit on the financial side) for a long time.

Your turn.

Last edited by hktrdr; 10-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Well, I said Evo as well - unless she is a female bodybuilder Proto (let alone SL - which is also not a true twin) is just a retarded suggestion.

As for her size, she is 1.5-2 times the size if most girls around here...

And I tend to get the occasional request for nude pictures - but come to think of it, several of them were from TT
Everything you have said is a retarded suggestion. You obviously dont know shit about what your talking about...yes the evo is going to be the softest but how is that going to help her when she wants to haul ass on the ice coast?

and the other thing you have to remember is all NS boards are *light* so she would be fine on a proto or even an SL if she wanted to go that far
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
Everything you have said is a retarded suggestion. You obviously dont know shit about what your talking about...yes the evo is going to be the softest but how is that going to help her when she wants to haul ass on the ice coast?

and the other thing you have to remember is all NS boards are *light* so she would be fine on a proto or even an SL if she wanted to go that far
Wrong.
First, I have already addressed the issue that there is no perfect match for what she is looking for in the Men's line-up. Evo is by far the closest to what she wants, even if it has some trade-offs.

Second not all NS boards are light - some are actually quite heavy. So it is you who knows shit what he is talking about. In any case, my comment was not about weight of the board but about thetorsional flex (especially with small feet).