Picking new NS board- need advice please! - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

Ok I guess the fundamental question is: is the evo/proto gonna feel stiffer to me than they would for a 5'8" 160 lb guy? if so, why? Im not doubting that it could be true it just doesn't make sense to me. The only reason why I am looking at mens boards in the first place is because NS doesn't make a women's freestyle board for someone my size, so why would the mens park boards all of a sudden feel like planks to me? I have been riding a mens circuit 148 and i can assure you it is a wet noodle after 3 seasons...

If the evo would actually feel stiffer than it is described by a lot of guys it seems perfect, but I just don't want to end up with another wet noodle since I am looking for the happy medium
snowsam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Wrong.
First, I have already addressed the issue that there is no perfect match for what she is looking for in the Men's line-up. Evo is by far the closest to what she wants, even if it has some trade-offs.

Second not all NS boards are light - some are actually quite heavy. So it is you who knows shit what he is talking about. In any case, my comment was not about weight of the board but about thetorsional flex (especially with small feet).
All the NS boards we are talking about are light, I have a 155 SL and I have let a couple girls I ride with try it out and even though it was too big it was easier than their own boards. AND these girls are smaller than the OP.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned!

Like I said in my original reply, the Evo is going to be perfect for you, EXCEPT when maching. You say you like doing alot of park, AND going fast, so there will be a tradeoff.

At 152 either board will work very well, you just have to understand the limitations. I have a '54 proto at 175lbs and am adding a '54 Evo to my quiver (going super fast is less and less important to me). The Evo is going to be easier to manipulate for you in EVERY way, but it WILL flap if ur bombing. The proto is basically an advanced version, it will be harder for you to ride in the park, more work to manipulate in general, but it won't flap on you at speed.

Go slower and get the Evo or ... not.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Like I said in my original reply, the Evo is going to be perfect for you, EXCEPT when maching. You say you like doing alot of park, AND going fast, so there will be a tradeoff.

At 152 either board will work very well, you just have to understand the limitations. I have a '54 proto at 175lbs and am adding a '54 Evo to my quiver (going super fast is less and less important to me). The Evo is going to be easier to manipulate for you in EVERY way, but it WILL flap if ur bombing. The proto is basically an advanced version, it will be harder for you to ride in the park, more work to manipulate in general, but it won't flap on you at speed.

Go slower and get the Evo or ... not.
Perfect, thank you. I think I would rather have a slightly "funner" board at the sacrifice of a bit of sketchyness at speed, so it sounds like the evo is my best bet. Hopefully it will be a bit sturdier than the circuit without losing the fun feel that I love!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Rooster King

the evo is a soft park board. the proto is still way more of a park board than all-mt. and would never be "too much board" for anyone #150+. period.

stiffer boards are better on ice.

you ride 100+ days and live in Hong Kong huh? lets analyze that a little... how many days did you get this summer? do you just leave for the whole winter? how many days a week do you work?

just doesn't really seem possible to me. you do know there are only 365 days in a year, right?
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
the evo is a soft park board. the proto is still way more of a park board than all-mt. and would never be "too much board" for anyone #150+. period.

stiffer boards are better on ice.

you ride 100+ days and live in Hong Kong huh? lets analyze that a little... how many days did you get this summer? do you just leave for the whole winter? how many days a week do you work?

just doesn't really seem possible to me. you do know there are only 365 days in a year, right?

Your best bet is if you can get to a demo and try one or even both. If not( I didnt see where you were from) just find a local shop and rent one or both. Ya its $50 or so you could be spending on the board but if your gonna drop $500+ on the board its better to make sure you made the right decision.

But these 2 guys are right on.
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #47 (permalink)

Ugh if I could just find a NS demo all of my problems would be solved... but im from the east coast and go to school in upstate NY so demos (esp. NS) are pretty much non-existent. Im def gonna look into renting, I didn't really know that was an option, but im kinda skeptical east coast places will rent never summer so if I cant try it out i guess it will be a bit of a coin toss.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Rooster King

if you can find a place that sells both boards tell them you want a rental/demo day on each one, and if they deduct the rental price from your final price on the board you will buy it from them.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
Ok I guess the fundamental question is: is the evo/proto gonna feel stiffer to me than they would for a 5'8" 160 lb guy? if so, why? Im not doubting that it could be true it just doesn't make sense to me. The only reason why I am looking at mens boards in the first place is because NS doesn't make a women's freestyle board for someone my size, so why would the mens park boards all of a sudden feel like planks to me? I have been riding a mens circuit 148 and i can assure you it is a wet noodle after 3 seasons...

If the evo would actually feel stiffer than it is described by a lot of guys it seems perfect, but I just don't want to end up with another wet noodle since I am looking for the happy medium
It's not just your weight it's also your strength. The weight will affect the flex a bit and some handling. Your skill and strength will affect your ability to turn a board.

The SL and Proto are not that stiff. Some freeriders will call them outright soft. In your original post you said you wanted something that can go fast, not get squirrely, and can take in the park. That's what the Proto is.

If you want to sacrifice speed for flex than that's a different story. My own opinion. You can learn how to press a stiffer board, you can't learn how to stop a board from flapping.

But it's your call. If you want something slightly stiffer than the Circuit and don't mind sacrificing top end speed, go for the Evo.

To throw another wrench into all of this, why not the Infinity? It is a directional twin. From what I recall, the flex and shape is twin, the bindings are set back but you can twin it up by adjusting where you mount the bindings. Check on that, but if so, perhaps you just need to stick with the girls Infinity board
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #50 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Why is the SL not being suggested here? I'm no expert, but I believe the setback is only a half inch so its basically a twin. It has stability at speed and you can take it in the park. I'm just curious why nobody thinks this is a good option for OP...?
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote