Picking new NS board- need advice please! - Page 7 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
Hey guys, so I have been riding the same board for 3 years and decided it is time for an upgrade (especially cuz I found out my cousin can get me a discount!). A little background: my current stick is a NS circuit-r 148 that I originally bought as a jib-stick but it ended up replacing my very stiff 155 rome blue even for big mountain riding (the 155 felt like utter shit to me after riding the circuit, the flexy board is much more fun). I have loved the circuit, but I think it is a little small and soft for me to be riding everywhere.

I am a 5'8", 160 lb girl with size 8 women's boots. For my next board I really want to stick with NS, the construction of my NS is noticeably better than the brands my friends are riding and I love the RC profile. I also want a true twin, which means I need to find a men's board because the women's pandora only goes to size 149 and the infinity is offset and I think it would be too stiff for my liking. Right now, I am stuck between the Evo 152 and Proto-CT 152. I do a fair amount of park riding but I am not very good... still getting down the basics of jibbing and jumping. I also ride the whole mountain and like to go fast (even on my 148 jibber), but I am mostly stuck on groomers because its the east coast. On paper, the Proto-CT would probably be the better choice for the rest of the mountain but I am scared it is going to be too stiff for me progress in the park. On the other hand, the evo would be pretty flexy but likely be a little more beefy than the circuit, I am truly looking for a 1 board quiver and I want something that wont be quite so squirrely at speed. Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!
Read pages 5 and 6 of posts and this first page. I'm 5'9" 150 lbs. I ride the Proto 154. The Proto has a slightly stiffer/snappier nose/tail than the Evo, but it is not a very stiff board. I don't think you would have any problem riding it if you choose the Proto 152 over the Infinity 151 (what I would suggest although I've never actually ridden that board). I found the Evo to be soft mush - I used to ride a Evo 153 when I was 140-145 lbs and I don't recommend it outside of the park personally as it is simply not that great a board for freeriding (chatters, flaps at higher speeds, tends to over-flex and spits you out of a deep carve)... but that's just my opinion.

I rode two models of SL 155 over the years and I agree with ShredLife, that while the SL is stiffer than the Proto, it is still kind of soft for a freeride board (more of an all-mountain board). I also agree that the SL has way more dampening which makes for a better ride outside of the park.

Last edited by lonerider; 10-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsam17 View Post
Hey guys, so I have been riding the same board for 3 years and decided it is time for an upgrade (especially cuz I found out my cousin can get me a discount!). A little background: my current stick is a NS circuit-r 148 that I originally bought as a jib-stick but it ended up replacing my very stiff 155 rome blue even for big mountain riding (the 155 felt like utter shit to me after riding the circuit, the flexy board is much more fun). I have loved the circuit, but I think it is a little small and soft for me to be riding everywhere.

I am a 5'8", 160 lb girl with size 8 women's boots. For my next board I really want to stick with NS, the construction of my NS is noticeably better than the brands my friends are riding and I love the RC profile. I also want a true twin, which means I need to find a men's board because the women's pandora only goes to size 149 and the infinity is offset and I think it would be too stiff for my liking. Right now, I am stuck between the Evo 152 and Proto-CT 152. I do a fair amount of park riding but I am not very good... still getting down the basics of jibbing and jumping. I also ride the whole mountain and like to go fast (even on my 148 jibber), but I am mostly stuck on groomers because its the east coast. On paper, the Proto-CT would probably be the better choice for the rest of the mountain but I am scared it is going to be too stiff for me progress in the park. On the other hand, the evo would be pretty flexy but likely be a little more beefy than the circuit, I am truly looking for a 1 board quiver and I want something that wont be quite so squirrely at speed. Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys!

I haven't said anything for a while. And I own a 157 Proto and 154 Evo both 2012. Firstly I totally f***ing love these boards. I am 175 lbs. Proto for all mountain Evo for domes. And I honestly don't believe there is a great deal of difference between these boards!! Evo will chatter more at speeds than the Proto but the Proto is no charger either! That said I got 114kmh on it - but it scared the absolute shit out of me! It is hardly noticeably stiffer than the Evo to hand flex it.

Evo is the funnest board I've ever ridden but I think I'd vote Proto myself. If you're more about the bombing then it will surpass the Evo (if not by a long way) but it is still flexible and you can butter the hell out it. Never found it hard to initiate a turn on the CT. Look into SL too maybe. If its not rated as much stiffer tan the Proto then it it is still pretty flexible!!