154 Lib Tech TRS vs 157 NS Proto CT - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 154 Lib Tech TRS vs 157 NS Proto CT

What up fam, have been a lurker for quite some time but have just recently registered! I was hoping to get some opinions and ideas regarding which board to go with.

Stats are 5'9 and about 165lbs/~74kg, male, boots are Nitro Anthem TLS size 8. I would consider myself to be in the early intermediate to intermediate riding level, and as for style I guess you could say I'm still trying to find it, love riding on groomers and would love to dabble a bit into the park a bit later on - just basically anywhere on the mountain.

Have done quite a bit of research on both the 157 Proto and 154 TRS and see that they both get a lot of love from these forums and are quite similar, but I'm still having a bit of a hard time trying to decide between the two.

Looking forward to hearing some recommendations and opinions!

Thanks in advance!!
sureshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Both great boards, but your size choices are off - Proto rides longer than the TRS, so you should be comparing:
154 Proto with 157 TRS; or
157 Proto with 159/162 TRS
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Both great boards, but your size choices are off - Proto rides longer than the TRS, so you should be comparing:
154 Proto with 157 TRS; or
157 Proto with 159/162 TRS
Ahh, unfortunately the choices I have between the boards in terms of availability is rather limited. Would the size difference have a massive effect on what I want to get out of either of the boards?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

If those are your only two choices, than I would go with the Proto. At your weight the 154 TRS only makes sense if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the park. For all mountain riding the 157 Proto is going to be better - much more stable at speed, much better float in powder, etc.

Only issue is that both those boards are quite wide for your size 8 foot.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
If those are your only two choices, than I would go with the Proto. At your weight the 154 TRS only makes sense if you are planning to spend a lot of time in the park. For all mountain riding the 157 Proto is going to be better - much more stable at speed, much better float in powder, etc.
While still allowing me to enjoy the park once in a while?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshock View Post
While still allowing me to enjoy the park once in a while?
Yeah, not optimal but still doable. Basically for all-around riding you are looking at a TRS that is quite a bit under-sized and a Proto that is slightly over-sized. So for all-mountain riding the Proto is going to be closer to the optimal size.
But if you are looking to spend a lot of time in the park than you would generally want to size smaller than for all-mountain riding, making the TRS potentially closer to what you want.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, not optimal but still doable. Basically for all-around riding you are looking at a TRS that is quite a bit under-sized and a Proto that is slightly over-sized. So for all-mountain riding the Proto is going to be closer to the optimal size.
But if you are looking to spend a lot of time in the park than you would generally want to size smaller than for all-mountain riding, making the TRS potentially closer to what you want.
Terrific! Thanks for the advice!