Unsure of board - need to decide soon! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unsure of board - need to decide soon!

I started snowboarding last year with lessons and picked it up pretty quick.
Now I am trying to buy a good board that I can get better on and one that is good for all-mountain riding. Right now I am deciding between the Gnu Carbon Credit, Burton TWC standard, and K2 Bridgade.

I am 5'10.5 at 150lbs, and one problem I am having with choosing is that at my local board shop they have the brigade and twc in good sizes for me (I think) 156 and 157cm, but I have heard good things about the carbon credit and they only have that in 162cm which, from what I have read, seems too big for me. The kid at the shop said it was a fine size but I'm not sure. Should I just order a carbon credit online and what size would be best? 156 or 159?.

Also I will probably be going back to the shop at least for boots and bindings, any recommendations?
the_danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

None of those are great options. You'll progress out of the Burton and K2 by the end of the year and despite what your apparent ass hat of a shop kid told you that Carbon Credit is too big.

Be looking for something 153-156. See if they've got a K2 Raygun, Flow Era, Flow Drifter, or Salomon Drift Rocker.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ill speak from experience here. I rode a 154 Salomon Drift Rocker my first season, and absolutely loved it. I was able to jib, butter, and do 3's at the end of the season. However I was an employee of the mountain so I got 100+ days in. If you get the drift, you will have no regrets. I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs and the 154cm was perfect for my all mountain needs.

Edit ---

Only thing i did not like about the drift were the graphics lol. Kind of lame. But whatevs. I had the black topsheet (i think there is a purple also).
joelseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the input guys, i should mention also that I live in NY so I board on the east coast, im still sort of set on ordering a 156 carbon credit as I have heard good things about it and the magne traction in specific. I will check out the drift rocker too though.

also as far as online retailers has anyone heard of www.rei.com or know if they are reliable?

Last edited by the_danger; 10-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I should have mentioned that the drift didn't to to great on ice. The sidecut of the board is Salomon's "Equalizer" tech... which pretty much turns the sidecut into three straight cuts that come together where a normal board would start to curve. Living in CO, i only ran into icy patches while night riding. Probably not the best board for your conditions.
joelseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_danger View Post
also as far as online retailers has anyone heard of REI or know if they are reliable?

What's a Rei?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

The Carbon Credit has a a lot of fans and some great tech.

Based on weight you will want the 156 or 156 Wide but please post your foot size as well so we can help you get the perfect setup.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

right i should have thought of that im a 9.5 or 10 shoe/boot
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
right i should have thought of that im a 9.5 or 10 shoe/boot
Got it. The 156 will be a great all mountain choice. I would not be surprised if others suggeted the 153 for you as well. If your leanings were more towards park/freestyle then I would have suggested that size.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
thanks for the input guys, i should mention also that I live in NY so I board on the east coast, im still sort of set on ordering a 156 carbon credit as I have heard good things about it and the magne traction in specific. I will check out the drift rocker too though.

also as far as online retailers has anyone heard of REI or know if they are reliable?
REI is a top notch spot. They are a chain, but sort of a collective or something. Lifetime returns.

Why don't you check out Wiredsports' site. If you're going to order online, might as well go to a place with better selection. REI"s selection is just ok.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote