Lib Tech/Gnu VS. Burton VS. ? ? ? ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
full circle

Default Lib Tech/Gnu VS. Burton VS. ? ? ? ?

I am looking for people's thoughts and opinions on these two companies and any others. Which board do you like to use and for what part of the mountain. What are your likes and dislikes about these companies. Why you like to ride these companies boards. Magna-traction or no magna-traction ?, Banana Tech, Ye or Nay ?, I know burton will be releasing their version or the "Rocker" Technology etc... Just wondering what peoples views are on all this new technology. If you don't like either company, tell why not, and which company you like and why. Thanks to everyone for any insight. "May the blue skies be above you and snow under your board"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i ride a libtech trs w/mtx and is amazing. i would definantley suggest it to anyone. about burton i htink they have good stuff, but it tends to be overpriced. i would highl recommend magnetraction if you live on teh east coast or have to deal with icy conditions. i have heard only good things about the banana camber, but havent had the opportunity to try it out firsthand.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

dont get me wrong, i love lib tech and ive been in love with
them for a really long time(before the banana FYI) but one
thing i really really dont like about their boards is that
they're not fully wrapped. meaning the metal edges dont go all
the way around the board, they go down on both sides but stop
around the contact points. its easy to damamge the bare base
near the tip and tail area because of this, but i guess its
easy to repair as well. and you dont really ride on your tip
and tail that much, but i just wish their boards were fully
wrapped.
landonk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib/GNU because Mervin is from the Pacific NW!! Plus Mervin has pretty good customer service. I had some questions about two Lib and GNU boards and emailed a Mervin guy and heard back that day. I emailed back and forth with him a few times and he was super helpful. Even gave some tips on demoing some boards from local shops.

I do kind of wish my board had metal edges all around. It just looks like it will wear out quick...we'll see.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!

I have a Gnu Stupid Cap dating back to 1997 that I rode hard up until two seasons ago. Still had serious pop and a lot of snap to it...now it's retired to my wall. I was so impressed with it that I bought a Gnu Rider's Choice without Magnetraction (I'm still not sold on the tech but I'm an old bastard). Very solid boards but you'll need to work them in a bit beforehand. I ride big mountain primarily so I need a board that holds it's edge and won't buckle under hard carves. One stiff enough to hold high speeds. This board gives me all that and one wicked snap on ollies. Like a fucking springboard. I was impressed enough with it that it allowed me to narrow down my quiver signif.

I'm dyed and true Gnu but some things are odd, and it could have to do with Rossignol purchasing Mervin, though I could be wrong. It seems harder to find their new boards WITHOUT their new tech. They all seem to be Magne and Banana tech. Maybe I've just got to adjust and move along with the times but damn....I never had a problem riding various conditions that these techs are supposed to alleviate before. In fact, I think having to battle conditions like sheer ice slopes using traditional edges is part of the fun...you know...character building, lol (none to mention an AWESOME reason to drink!).
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
HotKnifeNpoW

Default GNU is the shiznitz

I have a Burton Custom and Ride Prophet and havent touched them since i bought the GNU Carbon High Beam 2 years ago. The Magne-Traction is sick. I'm from Colorado but live in PA and ride everywhere from the ice to the pow. The GNU is sick in all condistions. When i'm ready for another board, it will be a GNU too. Why spend the extra money for a brand name when you can spend it on season passes!! As far as not having a full wrap, I was concerned too, but the board has held up great. I see people go down all the time when they hit an unexpected icey spot, the only reason i know i hit ice is the sound, the edge hold is unreal.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughterhouse View Post

I'm dyed and true Gnu but some things are odd, and it could have to do with Rossignol purchasing Mervin, though I could be wrong. It seems harder to find their new boards WITHOUT their new tech. They all seem to be Magne and Banana tech.
quiksilver bought mervin and rossignol and now has sold rossignol. They make the jamie lynn pro in camber, for your old school lib feel. And they are still making big boards skunk ape 180 and 190, thats for a diehard customer base. Everything has mangne traction but i like it better then a normal edge. More hold when you need it, no difference when you don't.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Power Bottom

Once you go magna you never wanna go back... I love it... I would spoon my edges if they weren't so sharp and cold.
PaulyMolitor is offline   Reply With Quote