right size for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
mangokiller

Default right size for me?

i just got my first board but having second thoughts if it's the ideal size for me. i'm 5'6, 155-160lbs. and bought a 156. is that a bit too big? would a 153 better suit me? i don't want it too short because i like to go fast but i don't want it too long cause i don't want to lose any manuverability.

crap. i just measured how tall i am and i'm 5'5 not 5'6...i'm shorter than i thought i was...argggg!!

Last edited by mangokiller; 04-03-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
rewind

Sounds to me like 156 would be just right for your weight/height ratio, and your desire to want some speed, but without sacrificing too much control.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

If you like speed it should be fine for you, but you loose a little control in the board. I am 5'9 and 144lbs and I have a 154, but I am more into sharp turns and glades. I like to have a lot of control in my board, my previous board was a 155 and I felt it was a tad to big for me.

Have you rode on a 156 before? if not try one and see if it fits you well.

It is all about what you like, a good friend of mine with similar stats to mine has a 157 and he loves the board, he claims that anything shorter than that would not do it for him. Personally i rode his board and it feels like a huge Cadillac, but if he likes it the more power to him.

If you feel the 156 is right for you go for it, 156 does fall withing your range, but it is at the upper half of it.

Since you like speed I think a 153 is to small for you.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
mangokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
If you like speed it should be fine for you, but you loose a little control in the board. I am 5'9 and 144lbs and I have a 154, but I am more into sharp turns and glades. I like to have a lot of control in my board, my previous board was a 155 and I felt it was a tad to big for me.

Have you rode on a 156 before? if not try one and see if it fits you well.

It is all about what you like, a good friend of mine with similar stats to mine has a 157 and he loves the board, he claims that anything shorter than that would not do it for him. Personally i rode his board and it feels like a huge Cadillac, but if he likes it the more power to him.

If you feel the 156 is right for you go for it, 156 does fall withing your range, but it is at the upper half of it.

Since you like speed I think a 153 is to small for you.

i haven't ridden a 156 before but when i was renting i was riding a 155 which isn't that much of a difference. the 155 was just fine for me..could control it well..anything i wanted to do it did..I was just thinking if i should've tried a 153 to see if i'd like it more.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Well to be honest with you, it is good to try boards just to see what you prefer. I used to think that the larger boards were better for me, and now I ride boards at my lower end of choices. Personally I think the 156 is fine for you, the only one thing is that you have a little less control than a smaller board. On the other hand if there is a powder day, the odds are that this larger board is going to help stay at float better (as long as it's a decent board). If you have the option to try another board go for it and if you like another boards and you can return this (if it's still new) do it. If not don't worry and use that one see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
livelyjay

Depends on the board too as weight specs are all over the place from board to board and company to company. Also depends on what you want to do with the board. If you want freeride you might want to stay in the middle of the weight range of the board. If you want freestyle then aim for just below the maximum of the weight range so you can manipulate the board easier. If you're a speed demon buy the stiffest, longest board you can afford

Example: I just fit into a Rome Agent 158 since I'm 190 pounds (max is 200lbs). I could go as low as a 152 in the K2 Darkstar (max weight of 190).
Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
mangokiller

thanks everyone for their advice...i'm taking everything into consideration. i'm hitting up windham this weekend so i'll see if my friend will let me test out his board. he's got a K2 zeppelin 153. then i'll make a final decision

Last edited by mangokiller; 04-03-2008 at 03:26 PM.