Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   a true all mounain twin... recommendations?? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/50033-true-all-mounain-twin-recommendations.html)

marcdeo 10-06-2012 12:49 PM

a true all mounain twin... recommendations??

Hey guys. I'm wondering what your recommendations are for a TRUE all mountain twin - and if possible in a hybrid profile (rocker in the middle, camber underfoot.

I "Dabble" in the park (meaning I suck balls at jibbing and anything hat looks remotely scary hahaha), but really i prefer to hit small features on the mountain, and I like a nice, somewhat playful board without being a noodle.

I'm 5'10" and about 190-200lbs all geared up.

I ride a solomon official 158 (camber), and i grabbed an arbor Coda 161 (rocker) last year (love this board). The coda is predominantly twin with regards to shape and its centered stance (zero setback or negligible if any) - but it has a directional flex.

I was looking at NS, but they don't have a true twin (all are directional flex unless I'm mistaken).
I know the TRS essentially has everything I'm looking for - true twin all the way, but my buddy has it, and I prefer NOT to rock the same gear as my crew of buddies since having different stuff allows us to try out different gear.

I'm looking at grabbing a slightly smaller board this time - either a 155-158.

so what recommendations do any of you have?

thanks!

M

hktrdr 10-06-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdeo (Post 523851)
Hey guys. I'm wondering what your recommendations are for a TRUE all mountain twin - and if possible in a hybrid profile (rocker in the middle, camber underfoot.

I "Dabble" in the park (meaning I suck balls at jibbing and anything hat looks remotely scary hahaha), but really i prefer to hit small features on the mountain, and I like a nice, somewhat playful board without being a noodle.

I ride a solomon official 158 (camber), and i grabbed an arbor Coda 161 (rocker) last year (love this board). The coda is predominantly twin with regards to shape and its centered stance (zero setback or negligible if any) - but it has a directional flex.

I was looking at NS, but they don't have a true twin (all are directional flex unless I'm mistaken).
I know the TRS essentially has everything I'm looking for - true twin all the way, but my buddy has it, and I prefer NOT to rock the same gear as my crew of buddies since having different stuff allows us to try out different gear.

thanks!

M

Too many to list all - NS Proto, some other Lib-Tech boards (Attack Banana, possibly a T. Rice), GNU Rider's Choice, Smokin' Superpark (the last two are basically upgraded versions of the TRS)...

Also, Yes The Greats is an awesome twin with hybrid camber - but without rocker between the feet and possibly not as suitable for downsizing.

sabatoa 10-06-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

M

The Proto is NS's stiffest true twin, just as stiff as the directional twin SL but without the dampness.

You can make the SL a true twin by adjusting your bindings up a notch I hear.

poutanen 10-06-2012 01:44 PM

How about a Prior All Mountain Freestyle?

All Mountain Freestyle Snowboard Model From Prior Snowboards | Buy Snowboards Online | Whistler Canada

The 156 is suitable for your *girth* lol although after going from a 153 to a 159, I don't think I'd ever go back. I'm only 160 pounds but looking at a 163 for true freeriding...

Plus prior handmakes everything so if you want increased stiffness to compensate for weight in a shorter board, they can do that.

jdang307 10-06-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

thanks!

M

You are mistaken. Evo is true twin. Proto is true twin. And Sabatoa is right, SL is direction twin which can be made twin by adjusting the setback (so I've read).

From NS the Proto sounds good. But there are a lot of options.

The Coda is pretty playful already. Do you even notice the different flex?

marcdeo 10-06-2012 06:33 PM

It appears I am mistaken. If in fact the Proto is a true twin - that is 100% my board. I was under the impression it had a directional flex.

I do find a difference in the Coda when riding tail VS tip, but yes, it is uber playful. Im sure if I had pruchased it in a 157 it would be even moreso.... hence the reason I want nmy new board in a smaller size.

For those that have ridden it, How stiff did you find the Proto?

the SL - Im asuming then that it IS a true twin with regards to construction, but the set back naturally makes the back end shorter, therefore stiffer? hence the move forward levels everything out?

marcdeo 10-06-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 523869)
How about a Prior All Mountain Freestyle?

All Mountain Freestyle Snowboard Model From Prior Snowboards | Buy Snowboards Online | Whistler Canada

The 156 is suitable for your *girth* lol although after going from a 153 to a 159, I don't think I'd ever go back. I'm only 160 pounds but looking at a 163 for true freeriding...

Plus prior handmakes everything so if you want increased stiffness to compensate for weight in a shorter board, they can do that.

8% body fat ;-)

(There's girth alright, but not in the belly. HAHAHAHA)

Nivek 10-06-2012 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah pretty much all that is available for RC has been listed.

I wouldn't count out boards like the YES Greats, Salomon Villain, Nitro Rook, or Flow Shifty though just cause they aren't center rocker/camber underfoot. They all will do what you're looking for and do it very very well.

poutanen 10-06-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdeo (Post 523941)
8% body fat ;-)

(There's girth alright, but not in the belly. HAHAHAHA)

Then why are you going for a board that short?

marcdeo 10-06-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 523955)
Then why are you going for a board that short?

explained above.