should i buy a new board? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

To answer you, no dont buy a new board. Until you start going down blacks with proper technique you will be fine. Yes, flatter heavier boards are more stable at higher speeds but you won't be reaching those speeds for quite some time. Work this season on your technique, softer boards are easier to learn on because they give you a little more forgiveness with lack of technique. If you want to try some new boards then try to demo a few while you're on the mountain but don't waste your money on a new board you don't know how to ride. Get proficient, then spoil yourself next year.
areveruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediway View Post
Hello,

i started snowboarding last season. i bought a libtech banana experimental and used it about 5 to 6 times last season. the thing is that at high speed down the hill, the snowboard is a little bit unstable. i was wondering if the unstability come from the fact i am a beginner or because of the board which is more for freestyle riders.

should i buy a new board? if so, any suggestion. i was thinking about buying a freerider board, but all i read is that it's for powder and stiff. so i was wondering if it will be good to go the hill?

any suggestion of which board i should buy?

tks
Did you buy it brand new? If so it's worth some bucks, I would sell it & buy 2 used boards. A regular camber & a rocker board.
The Banana is a wicked board, but I don't think you really need a board that good. Get 2 boards you won't mind beating the shit out of.

Getting a seasons pass if your only planning on going 8 times would probably only just barely be worth it.
You can buy lift tickets off craigslist for usually around 1/2 price, You could go those 8 times for half the cost & save $200 bucks.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
i am not proficient yet at carving, but if it's a trail with a reasonable wide and decent slopes (generally green and blue trails), i have time to sync the coordination of my knees and i am able to do those carving.

However because i am carving i am taking too much speed, and at time if the slope gets too steep i tend to put too much pressure on my back heel which cause me to slide, but generally on green and blue i think i am doing alright.

Also when the piste is too narrow and/or too steep, i m still not proficient doing the carve because i need to switch turn too quickly and i need to push with my knees to help to make the turn. Because the rhythm is faster and i still lack coordination with the push of my knees, i end up putting too much pressure on my back leg and heel, so i tend to slide between a few carves.

But, yes you are right, i still lack techniques, that is why i usually never go straight when going down, still trying to improve those carves and trying to get a dynamic stance, but i still need to work on my knees.

But, yes you are right, i still lack techniques,
You're most likely not carving. this would be carving

and even he skids his turn a little. More likely you are just turning (skidded). Not carving. Perhaps thats why your instructor didn't really acknowledge you when you mentioned carving.

But, if you are carving then you're jumping the gun. You're not even comfortable yet on blues and blacks. Most people do not learn to properly carve after a few days
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
i am not proficient yet at carving, but if it's a trail with a reasonable wide and decent slopes (generally green and blue trails), i have time to sync the coordination of my knees and i am able to do those carving.

However because i am carving i am taking too much speed, and at time if the slope gets too steep i tend to put too much pressure on my back heel which cause me to slide, but generally on green and blue i think i am doing alright.

Also when the piste is too narrow and/or too steep, i m still not proficient doing the carve because i need to switch turn too quickly and i need to push with my knees to help to make the turn. Because the rhythm is faster and i still lack coordination with the push of my knees, i end up putting too much pressure on my back leg and heel, so i tend to slide between a few carves.

But, yes you are right, i still lack techniques, that is why i usually never go straight when going down, still trying to improve those carves and trying to get a dynamic stance, but i still need to work on my knees.

But, yes you are right, i still lack techniques,
You're not carving. this would be carving

and even he skids his turn a little. More likely you are just turning (skidded). Not carving. Perhaps thats why your instructor didn't really acknowledge you when you mentioned carving.

But, if you are carving then you're jumping the gun. You're not even comfortable yet on blues and blacks.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote