Just bought an SL... worried that I should have bought a Proto? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
I'm not a complete beginner, but currently I'm just learning to perfect basics like dynamic linked turns and carving. After I'm super solid in those areas I want to try both pipe and park, and eventually set my mind to really learn one or the other (whichever I like more).

I recently purchased a NS SL as my first board due to multiple recommendations and things I've read. But now I'm starting to read about the Proto. From what I understand its basically a less damp, more freestyle-oriented version of the SL. Should I have bought the Proto instead?

Really though, what are the advantages of the SL to someone in my position? I don't think I would be riding much powder here in Socal, and dampening sounds kind of unnecessary IMO (correct me if I'm wrong). Also the setback of the SL worries me since I may be landing switch a lot once I progress..
Stick with the SL. It's more damp which will improve your confidence while you're still learning. You just learned to link turns? You're way off from even benefiting from the difference between the two boards.

Seriously, it's not the arrow, it's the indian.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
Do you notice a big difference when your hauling ass between both boards?

How about jumps? I think my SL is pretty damn poppy but I imagine a decent more on the Proto?
Yes, there is a huge difference between the SL and Proto at high speeds. If you are just flatboarding, you can get away with it the Proto, but if you want to do carved turns at speed (i.e. actually snow-board) the dampness is going to help a lot.

Proto is a little bit snappier on jumps - but proper technique slays any fancy tech. Pretty much anyone who complains that their board is too heavy doesn't know how to ollie properly.

lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Both boards will be just fine. Especially at your skill level.

You aren't likely to notice the shape, setback or sidecut differences unless you spend all day thinking you are noticing them.

Both boards are very freestyle oriented will do everything you ask them to do.

If you get any sort of real snowfall you'll actually be glad to have the SL as it is a better board than the proto for deeper snow.

Just be happy and enjoy your awesome snowboard.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote