New Gear! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Yes, the Goliath 156 would also be a strong choice.
How does the Whatever do regarding the problem with the feet that you mentioned?
Neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neliz View Post
How does the Whatever do regarding the problem with the feet that you mentioned?
The Goliath and Whatever are the same width at 156 cm but the Goliath has a little extra stiffness. My suggestion between the two would be the Goliath. Both will be OK for foot size but as mentioned befor, you are not going to hit perfect with your specs.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
The Goliath and Whatever are the same width at 156 cm but the Goliath has a little extra stiffness. My suggestion between the two would be the Goliath. Both will be OK for foot size but as mentioned befor, you are not going to hit perfect with your specs.

Thanks!
Ok, but does that "almost" perfect make a big enough of a difference to be worth skipping the TBT and looking into another board?
I've kind of narrowed it down to the Lobster Parkboard, the Bataleon Airobic and the Bataleon Whatever. Probably going to go with the Flux TT30's or the SF45's. What do you think?=)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neliz View Post
Ok, but does that "almost" perfect make a big enough of a difference to be worth skipping the TBT and looking into another board?
I've kind of narrowed it down to the Lobster Parkboard, the Bataleon Airobic and the Bataleon Whatever. Probably going to go with the Flux TT30's or the SF45's. What do you think?=)
Not in your case. Lib for instance makes narrow boards in the smaller sizes which answered the question for Edge but will be too soft for what you are looking to do at 180 lbs. That basically puts you in the position where you will be riding a board that is technically too wide for you to get a board that is a good fit for your weight. Such is life, right Between your choices I would suggest the Whatever.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That is a good suggetsion, brother, and in honesty it will be as good for Neliz as the TBT boards with a possible advantage from Magnetraction and ass pickle (which tends to help get a heelside edge).

But, the big problem we have still remains. All of these boards are wider than Neliz's feet are long (by quite a bit). Snowolf, you are in a more fortunate position as size 8.5 is on the smaller side of "Normal" (yeah, I hate using that word) so you have an extra 1.5 cm to deal with. To hammer how big a difference that is, 1 cm is typically the difference between a normal and wide snowboard.

For full sized riders (170-180 lbs) that have size 7, they really fall outside of the intended rider range for all of the boards that are typically discussed here.
I applaud Mervin for doing Narrow models but they limit them to very small board sizes which helped out Edge in this thread but leaves Neliz hanging.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Ah gotcha on that. What kind of width are we needing again? I can also check my NS spec sheets to see if something in our line might be doable....

EDIT: I see you mentioned the narrow skate nana, did you mention the TRS Slims? if he wants some camber that has the C2 I believe....
Yessir, We had talked a bit about the TRS earlier in this thread. Great minds thin...nah. The only issue there is that 151 is the largest size for the TRS in Narrow (shame). That is going to be too small for this rider for anything other than pure play...and that would not be the board I would suggest for that.

Dude, it might be a really valuable resource to put together a sticky thread of best choices for guys with small feet. It might also prompt some manufacturers to step up and build (more) narrow models for this range.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

Okay, let's see if I got this straight.
So my feet are to small for the "normal" size/width of boards, but my weight is to big for me to be able to ride the smaller but narrower boards?

I haven't really looked at any other boards but the TBT ones, i.e. Lobster and Bataleon. The reason for this is because from what I have read, it sounds really awesome. I'm basically only riding in Scandinavia, in the Alps and I might be going to Japan. I don't really know anything about the snow conditions there, but would those places be a problem for the TBT?

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't be going for a Bataleon/Lobster board?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

That is basically all correct.

180 lbs is over the weight range that will work well on the narrow boards which max out at 151 cm.

I am unaware of any models in popular boards that are technically a "fit" for a good all purpose deck for your size 7 feet in the sizes that are required for 180 lbs.

The Alps will make this even harder as the conditions are often hardpack/ice. This typically favors going a bit stiffer and a bit longer in terms of effective edge.

When your feet are inside the confines of the board's edges you end up not having the leverage that is available to riders who are at, or just outside of the edges.

Personally I would suggest that you get a board with some form of Magnetraction, Grip Tech, etc. This will get you the most out of the leverage that you do have and will help you bite into the hardpack that you will often be riding.

Apologies if this sounds like bad news but these are the choices that we have to choose from.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned!

I'll probably get flamed for this, but reading Wolfie and Wired's back n forth on it....would this be a case where Nug tech is actually workable?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Resident poet

neliz...I resemble your condition....I'm 5'6", 22" 15/12 duck stance, right at 180 and size 7 boot on a good day...actually just got 32 focus boas in a women 7.5 for a bit of a snugger fit when packed out...last 2 years been using 32 focus boas in women 8. We are outside the standard deviation.

So my remedies have been stiffer pro women's boards
Option Trinity 158 (old 2005) cambered directional fr stiffy, Option Kendra Starr 155 (2005? cambered fs twin abit softer), Gnu B-nice (cambered twin with mag....?2008...it was a definitely softer flex) The problem with these boards was lack of stance width. I also have an Option 162 northshore cambered shovel nose pintail, 159 skate banana, 164 charlie slasher...these have been ridable but very cumbersome to get on edge...however my remedy wass to use riser plates...I made some diy 20mm plates and this made edge to edge response much more doable. The b-nice was very fun for goofing groomers but I snapped the tail and the skate banana was sold because it was too cumbersome and folded up too much in the pow if you got alittle too tail/nose heavy...otherwise I still have the above boards to ride depending on conditions.

Recommendations for narrower boards: Gnu B-pro 155...demo'd for a day and it is a fun board and has great response...I would have bought one except for two things...I already have enough inbounds groomer and pow boards so I bought a 159 gnu billygoat split to get into baker slack/bc...it is narrower than the trs and t-rice and rider choice. The other board I gave serious thought about was Snowolf's suggestion of a ass park pickle. Another thought is to check out venture boards and have them lay one up to your specs.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 10-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bataleon, lobster, new board, new gear