New Gear! - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi,

That is basically all correct.

180 lbs is over the weight range that will work well on the narrow boards which max out at 151 cm.

I am unaware of any models in popular boards that are technically a "fit" for a good all purpose deck for your size 7 feet in the sizes that are required for 180 lbs.

The Alps will make this even harder as the conditions are often hardpack/ice. This typically favors going a bit stiffer and a bit longer in terms of effective edge.

When your feet are inside the confines of the board's edges you end up not having the leverage that is available to riders who are at, or just outside of the edges.

Personally I would suggest that you get a board with some form of Magnetraction, Grip Tech, etc. This will get you the most out of the leverage that you do have and will help you bite into the hardpack that you will often be riding.

Apologies if this sounds like bad news but these are the choices that we have to choose from.
Okay, I think I understand the whole problem.
I'm just going to ask again though, and if you could give me a detailed answer I'd be a very happy Swede!
Does the gap between my feet and the edges, that OK fit as you put it, make such a big impact on my riding that going for a Bataleon board would be a really bad move. Like if I, as a newbie, got a narrower board from another manufacturer I would feel a big differrence in how it rides?

I looked at the Gnu Park Pickle and it sounds like a cool board, although it does seem like it is a little stiff. I would prefer to ride on a mid-soft board if that's a reasonable and possible choice. Not really keen on the Pickle's graphics either.
Neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you will have less ability to get on edge with a wider board. So it will impact you. You turn in snowboarding using your edges so anything that lessens the response will make turning harder.

Will it be impossible, no. Will it be much more difficult, yes.
it sounds like you have your heart set on a bataleon, i think you might want to look at the womens boards like another guy suggested, a stiff womens board will ride like soft park board at your weight, you will have to look at thinks like set back etc. but with feet as small as you have options are limited.

I have the opposite problem, I wear 12.5's which is another forgotten size and I use wide boards, my options are limited every year. I know there are companies you can call that will put their other boards graphics on a different deck (usually there is a charge)...see snowolfs NS pandora/summit for more details :P I cant recall if it is the summit or a different one, sorry for any mix up snowolf.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Neliz,

Yes, this makes a huge difference in riding. You can read here how carefully users consider whether to go wide or normal. That difference is typically 1 cm or less. You are talking about falling 2 cm short of the ideal.

I would suggest a narrow Magnetraction board over TBT.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
You bloody poufta wanker......

J/K

Seriously though, what is nug tech? Maybe I'm living under a rock but I have never heard that term.
I guess the tech is actually called RADuction or something. Its from Burton, shown in the Burton Nug, but they actually have like 3-5 boards based on this, including, all mountain boards, a split, and a swallowtail . The general idea is that these boards ride 10cm shorter than typical weight/length standards. Its generally flamed as novelty bullshit, its kind of like unwearable fashion, but I thought this would be a spot where it COULD be relevant.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How about a Yes TDF. Still not narrow enough but closer.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I guess the tech is actually called RADuction or something. Its from Burton, shown in the Burton Nug, but they actually have like 3-5 boards based on this, including, all mountain boards, a split, and a swallowtail . The general idea is that these boards ride 10cm shorter than typical weight/length standards. Its generally flamed as novelty bullshit, its kind of like unwearable fashion, but I thought this would be a spot where it COULD be relevant.
the problem with those it they are still the width of a board that is 10cm longer.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
Resident poet

I have dealt with this problem for 9 seasons and have demo'd a fair amt of women's boards, every year talk to and demo the mervin lib/gnu/roxy boards and talk to them about doing up a narrow men's board...but to no avail...however they are getting abit narrower compared to the past years. If you want performance of quick edge to edge and snappy performance (screw the graphics...i don't care...i want performance)...the best option imho is a top of the line stiffest and largest women's board you can find...because even though its rated as stiff it will be a noodle to medium flex for a guy. Btw I've demo'd ns infinity, solomon lush & gyspy, current gnu b-nice, recent arbor push, roxy envy and they were too noodlie. Another thought iirc is perhaps an old atomic hatchet and captia bsod were narrower boards. Just from my experience, I've stay away from the triple base tech is because I need great edge engagement without having to over-commit-to-get-on-edge from a body mechanics/position point of view. Another thing is with women's boards is that you don't need the rocker or even c2btx...and my preference is for a cambered (assuming ur riding groomed and packed pow)...because of your/my weight you press out any camber...however the c2btx is fun cause you can turn on a dime without having to unweight/suck-up/cross-under turns (however I like to unweight and do cross-under...thus the cambered preference) but it is not as snappy/poppy and slightly squirrely when bombing compared to a women's cambered. A women's board will be playful and easy to learn on compared to a men's board that is slightly too wide....and width does matter...my perfect waist width for my hellish small feet is 24cm on my Option trinity and with my billy goat split at 25.2 cm I'm anticipating really pushing the limit. Again, I'd highly recommend a gnu b-pro for off the rack or calling Venture for a custom specd.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 10-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #38 (permalink)

Okay, well how about the Park Pickle that was mentioned a couple of pages back? Is that to wide as well?
Neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #39 (permalink)
Resident poet

Park pickle is 25.5 for both the 156 and 159...Imho you want closer to 24 and not over 25 cm. Width becomes more noticable as you get tired or laxed...it will feel like you are driving a dump truck compared to agile sports car. If your resort is big wide groomers where you can just cruise verse a tight technical and dodging things/people, steeps or trees you want agility = narrowness. You can make anything work...my charlie slasher 164 is 26 cm and it floats like a dream in 3+ ft of pow and I can make it down any tracked and packed out double black but its not fun. Have you checked out Venture? And btw where are you riding, what snow conditions and terrain?....cause riding ice vs pow or even packed and vs wide open bowls/groomers verse tight technical coulier and trees.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 10-09-2012 at 04:04 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #40 (permalink)

Have a look at the YES range. They come fairly narrow and with 180lbs I'd say you would be fine on a trouble 154 (24.6 waist), especially if you use it for park. Or a TDF even though the latter is cambered.

It's not 100% ideal but I'd rather have a fairly short board for my weight than something that is too wide.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bataleon, lobster, new board, new gear