New Gear! - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Neliz,

You are getting some great advice now from a wider group of riders. I don't want to discourage your riding in any way. You obviously are already having a great time riding and our goal now is to find you the gear that is the best match possible.

The Flow Drifter 156 is one option. It is 24.9 at the waist and 25.7 at the center inserts. That is getting closer. Every little bit of width that you lose will help you.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Excuse me if I'm wrong here but isn't the whatever narrower than the Gnu Park Pickle?
And wired, A couple of pages back you said that with the other boards I would be able to get an OK fit, but not perfect. The thing is, I'm not going to devote my whole life to snowboarding and I would be ok with a board that isn't "perfect" for me. Does it matter that much or should I just let the bataleon boards go completely? Since the Whatever is narrower I don't see what's better about the Pickle than the Whatever?
Neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neliz View Post
Excuse me if I'm wrong here but isn't the whatever narrower than the Gnu Park Pickle?
And wired, A couple of pages back you said that with the other boards I would be able to get an OK fit, but not perfect. The thing is, I'm not going to devote my whole life to snowboarding and I would be ok with a board that isn't "perfect" for me. Does it matter that much or should I just let the bataleon boards go completely? Since the Whatever is narrower I don't see what's better about the Pickle than the Whatever?
I think you are still using the waist as your width mesurement. You need to focus on the width at the inserts where you will stand. The waist on the Whatever is narrower but because it has a deeper sidecut, it gains back that width at the inserts. The Magnetraction decks will give you additional bite into the hardpack that you will encounter.

We can only advise you and if you have decided that you want to try TBT I do not want to stand in your way. I suggest TBT here regularly but as mentioned I think there are better options for your specifics. I would suggest a deck with magnetraction or a narrower model like the Flow Drifter over your TBT choices.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #44 (permalink)

Well , I did have my heart set on a TBT board. But if what you're saying is right, and I'd ride easier ans have more fun on a narrower board, I'm Just going to have to give up on the TBT.
I've looked at some of the boards you've suggested, and the one's I've "found" are:
Yes boards, Lib-tech boards, the Gnu park pickle and the Flow Drifter. Am I right thinking that these boards/manufacturers are narrower than the average board? By the way, I'd also like to avoid riding a "girl board" as much as possible. Would any of these boards be a good pick for my kind of riding?

PS, I want to thank everyone that has helped me with this, a big thank you to all you guys!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
text
I sent an e-mail to the guys at the Bataleon, telling them about my problem. He said I should look at the Violenza. Looks like a pretty alright board, would you say that it would be a valid contender to the other boards I mentioned in my last post. And if so, what one of those would you pick?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it should be fine, it is a womens board though, which you said you don't want.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
it should be fine, it is a womens board though, which you said you don't want.
Yeah, that is basically the only problem with it. That's why I was wondering if any of the other boards would be as good for me as that one, since I'd rather be riding a mens board! What do you think?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Yeah, that is basically the only problem with it. That's why I was wondering if any of the other boards would be as good for me as that one, since I'd rather be riding a mens board! What do you think?
It should match perfectly with your pantyhose.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Even the 154 Distortia (largest size) is not a great choice. You can beat it's specs for you with the Flow Drifter 153 in a Mens graphic. It has a longer contact length and is narrower but both are too soft and have too little edge for your weight and area. As mentioned, the Longer Drifter would be a better choice. Burton Aftermath is worth a look as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #50 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Someone also mentioned YES snowboards, i was bored so i looked at thier specs and they seem to run narrower then other brands. a The Greats 156 has a 24.7 width. A YES basic has 155 has a 24.9 waist width.

The point is this, bataleon makes a good product. Thier tech isnt the end all be all. No matter which bataleon you get it will not be the right size for you. I have ridden 4 different bataleons, I wont be riding them anymore because I break them all

There are a lot of options out there for you, but there are a lot less options then someone of a larger footprint.

If you really really want a bataleon find a used one or see if you can demo one first. If you are happy w/ the performance then so be it. To invest in buying on that will definately not fix you is a recipe for buyers remorse. Additionally buying a different board without completely believing the advice you are being given is another recipe for buyers remorse.

So what i think is. Find a super cheap bataleon in "your size" ride it and then when it doesnt work move on to something you like that was suggested. If it works then so be it you are happy and can replace the cheap one with a newer better model. A $100 or so experiment is better then a $500 mistake.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bataleon, lobster, new board, new gear