New Gear! - Page 7 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #61 (permalink)

Before you buy a Skate banana you should really have a second look at the narrower YES boards I had already mentioned. I own two of their boards and I couldn't be happier. Their camrock profile is much more versatile and stable than the Banana's rocker. The banana was a great board a few years ago when rocker was still new but not only in my opinion is it kind of outdated by now.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Before you buy a Skate banana you should really have a second look at the narrower YES boards I had already mentioned. I own two of their boards and I couldn't be happier. Their camrock profile is much more versatile and stable than the Banana's rocker. The banana was a great board a few years ago when rocker was still new but not only in my opinion is it kind of outdated by now.
Had a second look at their boards too, and it seems like an awesome board. Which models do you own, and would you care to give a small review on them? And what's your view on the Asym sidecut? I don't really understand what it does and how it makes the board "better", so it would be great if you could explain it!
Neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Bump
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #64 (permalink)
Veteran Member

asym sidecuts are supposed to compensate for the different amounts of pressure you can generate between your heel and toe edges.

I have never ridden a board with that type of sidecut but snowolf seemed to endorse it earlier in the thread and other people say it works.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
asym sidecuts are supposed to compensate for the different amounts of pressure you can generate between your heel and toe edges.

I have never ridden a board with that type of sidecut but snowolf seemed to endorse it earlier in the thread and other people say it works.
While I think the theory for different sidecuts for toe and heel side (Note: this does not necessarily mean asymmetrical sidecuts, just different ones) has some merit, it really made no difference to me in practice. Tried it on the Riders Choice and actually preferred riding the board the 'wrong' way around. Maybe I have grown so used to (over-)compensating for the same sidecut on both toe and heel edge that I need to 'unlearn' first...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neliz View Post
Had a second look at their boards too, and it seems like an awesome board. Which models do you own, and would you care to give a small review on them? And what's your view on the Asym sidecut? I don't really understand what it does and how it makes the board "better", so it would be great if you could explain it!
Asym sidecut means that the heel edge has a deeper sidecut than the toe edge. It is supposed to help with heelside turns because your pressure points (meaning your heels) are closer together than your toes because of the stance you have on your board. Some people say you can't really feel that but what matters is that it doesn't make your ride worse.

I own a Pick your Line and a Great Boobs of History and I love them both. As I said, for your small feet I believe YES is the best way to go. Super solid boards, playful and a forgiving camber profile. If I were you I'd try to get a Trouble or maybe a TDF if you want it a bit more aggressive (super narrow camber board). If you need more in-depth reviews, please check thegoodride.com or similar review sites.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Asym sidecut means that the heel edge has a deeper sidecut than the toe edge. It is supposed to help with heelside turns because your pressure points (meaning your heels) are closer together than your toes because of the stance you have on your board. Some people say you can't really feel that but what matters is that it doesn't make your ride worse.

I own a Pick your Line and a Great Boobs of History and I love them both. As I said, for your small feet I believe YES is the best way to go. Super solid boards, playful and a forgiving camber profile. If I were you I'd try to get a Trouble or maybe a TDF if you want it a bit more aggressive (super narrow camber board). If you need more in-depth reviews, please check thegoodride.com or similar review sites.
Okay, I think I've got it know.
Do you think that the trouble/tdf would be a better choice than the greats/basic?
Reading the specs/info it seems to me that the latter would suit me better?Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Text
Bump. Feels like this thread got a little long, just going to see what you think and then I'm probably going to decide on a board!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #69 (permalink)

They're all good boards for you. The TDF is a bit special because of the positive camber. If you like that, go for it. Other than that, pick the narrowest one of the choices you mentioned and you will be fine. The Trouble is a tad softer than the Greats but not too much of a difference.

Tags
bataleon, lobster, new board, new gear