New board short list: Help a brother out - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board short list: Help a brother out

A little background info: I'm 6'2", weigh about 205 lbs, and wear size 12 boots. I ride in the Midwest so I'm mostly concerned with park and groomer performance. Consider myself an intermediate park rider and looking to improve.

I've done a lot of research on boards for the upcoming season and have decided that I definitely want something with an alternative camber profile and more freestyle focused. These are the boards I've narrowed it down to; NS Revolver 158, Arbor Blacklist 157, Rome Mod Rocker Wide 158, NS Proto CTX 158, and the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro 157.

It's important to me that whichever board I get is playful enough to progress with in the park but isn't too soft to take on the big features. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and additional suggestions are more than welcome.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Blacklist I'd say. Could go longer at your weight if the option was there - for groomer performance. Pretty sure you'd still be on a very fun and easy manipulatable board at 160cm, but then stay 157 if you will be in the park a LOT. I have the Proto 157 (size 8 feet) 175lbs and love the absolute shit out of it but I hear the CTX is a little slow edge to edge and I've not heard that about the blacklist. I don't think the Travis Rice would be a great deal of fun in the park....
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
Blacklist I'd say. Could go longer at your weight if the option was there - for groomer performance. Pretty sure you'd still be on a very fun and easy manipulatable board at 160cm, but then stay 157 if you will be in the park a LOT. I have the Proto 157 (size 8 feet) 175lbs and love the absolute shit out of it but I hear the CTX is a little slow edge to edge and I've not heard that about the blacklist. I don't think the Travis Rice would be a great deal of fun in the park....
Thanks for the input. How do you like your proto for handling rails and smaller features? I know it'll slay the big stuff, I'm just a little worried it'll be too much board for the smaller terrain parks more typical of the Midwest.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear42 View Post
Thanks for the input. How do you like your proto for handling rails and smaller features? I know it'll slay the big stuff, I'm just a little worried it'll be too much board for the smaller terrain parks more typical of the Midwest.

I think it should be fine.

Don't forget the Arbor Coda

Last edited by jdang307; 10-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I think it should be fine.

Don't forget the Arbor Coda
Sweet vids. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. For a second there I was leaning towards the Blacklist but I'm still undecided, I think it would be a good flex for me but I prefer the camber profile of the NS. The only reason I say that is because I've talked to a lot of riders who experienced too much washout with pure reverse cambers and a little more difficulty stomping bigger landings. If I got a 160 Revolver instead of a 158 Proto CTX would the added board of the 160 take away some of the noodle in the Revolver and give them comparable flexes?
I looked into the Coda and saw it's a directional board whereas I'm more interseted in more of a true twin.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Blacklist, but get the 160. You won't get enough meat out of it in the 57 to be comfortable on any jumps bigger than 25ft. It will still be plenty playful and jibbable.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

What difference would the directional twin make on the coda?
D1CKER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1CKER1 View Post
What difference would the directional twin make on the coda?
Softer nose / stiffer tail = a little less performance riding switch. Not too dramatic but for a park focussed person I'd also recommend the Blacklist.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

So, I just found an Arbor Blacklist 2012 available in both 157 and 160 for about $100 less than the 2013 model that is pretty much the same board but with a slightly downgraded base. (Sintered vs extruded). I have to buy it right? In 160 that is. Have a little somethin left over for some new bindings...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear42 View Post
So, I just found an Arbor Blacklist 2012 available in both 157 and 160 for about $100 less than the 2013 model that is pretty much the same board but with a slightly downgraded base. (Sintered vs extruded). I have to buy it right? In 160 that is. Have a little somethin left over for some new bindings...
Definitely. Get the 160. You'll love it.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacklist, evo, never summer, proto