New board short list: Help a brother out - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default New board short list: Help a brother out

A little background info: I'm 6'2", weigh about 205 lbs, and wear size 12 boots. I ride in the Midwest so I'm mostly concerned with park and groomer performance. Consider myself an intermediate park rider and looking to improve.

I've done a lot of research on boards for the upcoming season and have decided that I definitely want something with an alternative camber profile and more freestyle focused. These are the boards I've narrowed it down to; NS Revolver 158, Arbor Blacklist 157, Rome Mod Rocker Wide 158, NS Proto CTX 158, and the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro 157.

It's important to me that whichever board I get is playful enough to progress with in the park but isn't too soft to take on the big features. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and additional suggestions are more than welcome.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
syphabiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reading
Posts: 191
Default

Blacklist I'd say. Could go longer at your weight if the option was there - for groomer performance. Pretty sure you'd still be on a very fun and easy manipulatable board at 160cm, but then stay 157 if you will be in the park a LOT. I have the Proto 157 (size 8 feet) 175lbs and love the absolute shit out of it but I hear the CTX is a little slow edge to edge and I've not heard that about the blacklist. I don't think the Travis Rice would be a great deal of fun in the park....
__________________
If it's a real goose, is it propaganda?
syphabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
Blacklist I'd say. Could go longer at your weight if the option was there - for groomer performance. Pretty sure you'd still be on a very fun and easy manipulatable board at 160cm, but then stay 157 if you will be in the park a LOT. I have the Proto 157 (size 8 feet) 175lbs and love the absolute shit out of it but I hear the CTX is a little slow edge to edge and I've not heard that about the blacklist. I don't think the Travis Rice would be a great deal of fun in the park....
Thanks for the input. How do you like your proto for handling rails and smaller features? I know it'll slay the big stuff, I'm just a little worried it'll be too much board for the smaller terrain parks more typical of the Midwest.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear42 View Post
Thanks for the input. How do you like your proto for handling rails and smaller features? I know it'll slay the big stuff, I'm just a little worried it'll be too much board for the smaller terrain parks more typical of the Midwest.




I think it should be fine.

Don't forget the Arbor Coda

Last edited by jdang307; 10-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I think it should be fine.

Don't forget the Arbor Coda
Sweet vids. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. For a second there I was leaning towards the Blacklist but I'm still undecided, I think it would be a good flex for me but I prefer the camber profile of the NS. The only reason I say that is because I've talked to a lot of riders who experienced too much washout with pure reverse cambers and a little more difficulty stomping bigger landings. If I got a 160 Revolver instead of a 158 Proto CTX would the added board of the 160 take away some of the noodle in the Revolver and give them comparable flexes?
I looked into the Coda and saw it's a directional board whereas I'm more interseted in more of a true twin.
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,539
Default

Blacklist, but get the 160. You won't get enough meat out of it in the 57 to be comfortable on any jumps bigger than 25ft. It will still be plenty playful and jibbable.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
D1CKER1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newport beach CA
Posts: 81
Default

What difference would the directional twin make on the coda?
D1CKER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1CKER1 View Post
What difference would the directional twin make on the coda?
Softer nose / stiffer tail = a little less performance riding switch. Not too dramatic but for a park focussed person I'd also recommend the Blacklist.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default

So, I just found an Arbor Blacklist 2012 available in both 157 and 160 for about $100 less than the 2013 model that is pretty much the same board but with a slightly downgraded base. (Sintered vs extruded). I have to buy it right? In 160 that is. Have a little somethin left over for some new bindings...
Bear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear42 View Post
So, I just found an Arbor Blacklist 2012 available in both 157 and 160 for about $100 less than the 2013 model that is pretty much the same board but with a slightly downgraded base. (Sintered vs extruded). I have to buy it right? In 160 that is. Have a little somethin left over for some new bindings...
Definitely. Get the 160. You'll love it.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blacklist, evo, never summer, proto

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums