All mountain board to compliment an evo 154 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default All mountain board to compliment an evo 154

Love the evo but I found with most of the riding I do something more all mountain would be better suited. I feel like slightly longer would be better. I'll be keeping the Evo though.

What I want is a board that will be mostly used on groomers. I like bombing, buttering and spinning off every side hit I see. Mostly 180s at the moment, I have almost no preference to riding regular or switch and carve happily in either direction. So switch is important to me but I'm not too worried about the board riding exactly the same hopefully I'll cope with any slight directional differences.

I also will be heading off piste whenever the conditions allow. So I need this board need to be versatile. While I know any board has to compromise between these, I've ridden thigh deep pow on a 154 proto (and nearly as deep on the evo) without issue. Although I'm sure other boards would be even better, I'm thinking i don't need to go too much longer or stiffer.

my thoughts are:
proto 157
SL 158
cobra
yes greats 156 or 158 - like what I've seen of this board.

Have 2012 390 boss bindings and intend to keep these though I might be tempted with some cartels or the like down the road.

My default choice would be the SL but wonder if the cobra would be a better choice. Go with the pro to that I've already tried? Take a punt on the Yes? Choices!! I'm open to other brands but the NS seems like the least risk.

There are a couple of reasons that make it difficult to try before I buy and it works out way cheaper for me to buy ahead getting to a resort and take the risk.

Thanks for any insights you can give me. I'm starting to get excited about the start of the season, it's feeling close!
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

If you are keeping the Evo, maybe go with something more different from most of the boards you listed in order to start building the quiver.
Evo is the most free-style of these boards, so maybe go more freeride - that would be the Cobra. Only issue with that is the switch riding and landing, especially in pow.
Also consider the Heritage. You will sacrifice playfulness and butter-ability but you will gain stability and big-mountain capability for your off-piste riding.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say a Flow Drifter or Rush, Machete GT, YES Greats, or a Nitro Team Gullwing. You have an NS, branch out.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

The reason I'm not rushing to something lots stiffer is that i'm not keen to sacrifice the playfulness unless I really need to. Obv there will always be a compromise. I think the conditions I've had so far have been good enough to get away with with a less than ideal board and I'm open to the benefits a stiffer one would bring. I guess I'll only really know by trying some stiffer boards out. No way around that. I will have the chance to do this in january. But I have a trip in dec and I want something to cover that. If I buy ahead it will cost me 25-35% less which is a factor.

Will definitely check out this other boards, have no problem with branching out although I pretty much know what I'm going to get with an SL which is again a factor.

What's your thoughts a size, should I be thinking stiffer and longer only change one variable. Example would you suggest a 156 or 158 in the yes based on what I've said?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

what's you weighs?

Also, buy my things?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah damn soz I missed that in the original post.

165lb, size 7.5(us) boot
Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

155-157. 58 at the very biggest I'd say.

Also, buy my things?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sweet. thanks.