Powder Board - Jones, K2, or ?? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
ah, I'm too late to add my 2 cents.
I think you might be surprised by the jones, in not such a good way. You'll prob want to keep your gyrator for the deep days. The Jones floats ok in pow but it's really stiff and you won't be having the same fun as on the gy.
The Jones excels at going fast and handling gnarly terrain.

I would have suggested the Burton Sherlock since it's a twin and floats like mad in the powder
Supra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
ah, I'm too late to add my 2 cents.
I think you might be surprised by the jones, in not such a good way. You'll prob want to keep your gyrator for the deep days. The Jones floats ok in pow but it's really stiff and you won't be having the same fun as on the gy.
The Jones excels at going fast and handling gnarly terrain.

I would have suggested the Burton Sherlock since it's a twin and floats like mad in the powder
We'll see

The best part is that backcountry.com will let me return it if I don't like it.

I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline  
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ultra VS Peace

I'm having the same dilema (which you seemed to pull the trigger on, and think you'll be stoked regardless), but I I've narrowed it down to the Ultra and Peacekeeper. The Peacekeeper is 1 inch set back and a smaller tail profile, Ultra being 3/4 inch with almost identical tail profile to the nose. The one big difference that is holding me back on snagging an Ultra, is that they didn't put an ollie-bar in it, but they DID in the Peacekeeper... which I think is counter-intuitive due to the fact the Ultra is more freestyle-pow oriented- hence more creating your own air, popping, eccetera. You'd think they're more "freestyle oriented pow deck" would include the ollie bar. I've just heard such amazing reviews from friends about the ollie bar in the Fastplant, it's hard for me to steer towards the board without it. BUT, what do I know. haven't tried either.

Other than that, I think they'll both be great boards. As a person who rides pow mostly via lift access and gates, with some shorter hikes to side country, which would YOU (whoever) recommend? Lets be honest hear, when it comes to riding switch, I'm not doing it a ton in pow... with the hopes of a buttery pow 180 here and there, or maybe a cliff drop 1. But that's not all that important to me as I could always take out my all-mtn board when im feelin more 'freestyley." I've been recomended the Ultra, but do I really need a true twin? Will it ride that much better on piste as well..?
iNeedPow is offline  
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I'll tell you by November hopefully. Deeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
The Jones excels at going fast and handling gnarly terrain.

2015/16 -3- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 1
Take a look at the 157 Burton Barracuda, I'm looking for a 161, I currently ride a full camber Malolo 161 and can say without a doubt, it is the best freeride/powder board I've ever ridden, since the Barracuda is cambered from the front binding back and rocker from the front binding forward, I think it will ride even better then the Malolo ?
Clayton Bigsby is offline  
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
 
walove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bozeman/Seattle
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedPow View Post
I'm having the same dilema (which you seemed to pull the trigger on, and think you'll be stoked regardless), but I I've narrowed it down to the Ultra and Peacekeeper. The Peacekeeper is 1 inch set back and a smaller tail profile, Ultra being 3/4 inch with almost identical tail profile to the nose. The one big difference that is holding me back on snagging an Ultra, is that they didn't put an ollie-bar in it, but they DID in the Peacekeeper... which I think is counter-intuitive due to the fact the Ultra is more freestyle-pow oriented- hence more creating your own air, popping, eccetera. You'd think they're more "freestyle oriented pow deck" would include the ollie bar. I've just heard such amazing reviews from friends about the ollie bar in the Fastplant, it's hard for me to steer towards the board without it. BUT, what do I know. haven't tried either.

Other than that, I think they'll both be great boards. As a person who rides pow mostly via lift access and gates, with some shorter hikes to side country, which would YOU (whoever) recommend? Lets be honest hear, when it comes to riding switch, I'm not doing it a ton in pow... with the hopes of a buttery pow 180 here and there, or maybe a cliff drop 1. But that's not all that important to me as I could always take out my all-mtn board when im feelin more 'freestyley." I've been recomended the Ultra, but do I really need a true twin? Will it ride that much better on piste as well..?

Sounds like you should get the peace keeper, it will be fine switch, and great for 180 pow butters since the nose shape is the same.

As for the carbon flagship with now bindings, doesn't make sense to me to combind the most responsive board, with a binding that is made to delay response. Money no object get some union mc's

SHRED HAPPENS
walove is offline  
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
Sounds like you should get the peace keeper, it will be fine switch, and great for 180 pow butters since the nose shape is the same.

As for the carbon flagship with now bindings, doesn't make sense to me to combind the most responsive board, with a binding that is made to delay response. Money no object get some union mc's
I really don't think the now bindings are designed to delay response from the reviews I've heard.

However, the Burton Diodes or Union Chargers are the replacement options.

I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline  
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
agreed. They are actually designed to give you more effective/powerful response and leverage over your board. I'm going to rock the IPO's on my machete gt and whatever pow board I end up with this season... I've talked to many people who have ridden (pre-production) them and wanted to hate on them but then fell in love and are also rocking them this season.
iNeedPow is offline  
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
NOWs increase your board response. JF spent quite a long time on them and they work. They were BA's favorite binding he rode last year.

Just a note, the Peacekeeper is basically the replacement for the Gyrator where the Ultra is a back country intended tweak of a Turbo.

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline  
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
NOWs increase your board response. JF spent quite a long time on them and they work. They were BA's favorite binding he rode last year.

Just a note, the Peacekeeper is basically the replacement for the Gyrator where the Ultra is a back country intended tweak of a Turbo.
Good reference point. Still don't know which to pull the trigger on... What should I do, Nivek? 58 twinish set back pow/freestyle more versatile slayer with all mtn-capabilities, or 59 directional pow raper slightly less versatile pow-specific board with minimal but still decent all-mtn aspects
iNeedPow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome