Powder Board - Jones, K2, or ?? - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Yeah the ultra dream seems to be very in line with my current gyrator, burton juice wagon, or other powder twin.

The peacekeeper seems like an awesome option as well if you want more of the jones "point it and go" attitude. I do love the nose on it.
very few reviews on the peacekeeper----

This was posted yesterday on OUTSIDE magazines 2013 gear guide regarding the ultra:

BEST FOR: Laid-back powder surfers who don’t want to work too hard.

THE TEST: Beginners will love the Ultra Dream because of its stable profile (flat between the bindings and rocker at the tip and tail) and forgiving flex. Plus, a set-back stance creates a shorter tail, making turns easy to engage. The Ultra Dream surfed everything from a dusting to a one-foot dump, and it’s no slouch cruising groomers. “It held an exceptional edge, and its switch-riding ability surprised me,” one tester noted. Bummer: our most aggressive freeriders found themselves sketched out on icy steeps—its response and hold aren’t that finely tuned.

THE VERDICT: A great powder board for beginners or intermediates looking for an easy-riding, confidence-inspiring board.

Response: 4
Versatility: 3

Video Review on the Ultra at dogfunk.com = an 155lb guy calls the 158 "skatey, buttery, and playful"

K2 Ultra Dream - YouTube

Maybe that helps..Maybe it add to the confusion.
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I liked the ultra dream a lot more than the peace keeper when i tested them last season.

I find it weird that that magazine rated as only for beginners and intermediates. If their experienced riders were sketched out on icey steeps, then maybe they're not so experienced...
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
I liked the ultra dream a lot more than the peace keeper when i tested them last season.

I find it weird that that magazine rated as only for beginners and intermediates. If their experienced riders were sketched out on icey steeps, then maybe they're not so experienced...
Ultra dream = middle of the road flex= gyrator?

Peacekeeper = slightly stiffer , snappier (carbon strips) , damper ultra dream?

They have different rocker profiles right? One would assume they would ride very different .

K2s site tech wise is bare bones

It would be nice if they listed some kind of relative flex when comparing their different boards .
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #44 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I If their experienced riders were sketched out on icey steeps, then maybe they're not so experienced...
Or maybe its a perfectly legitimate observation. Flat in the middle and rocker outside is hardly what I would call an aggressive edge so I would expect it to not have the best edge hold.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:

Did you test them both in pow and/or piste? Can you emphasize why you liked the Ultra better a bit?
iNeedPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedPow View Post
Did you test them both in pow and/or piste? Can you emphasize why you liked the Ultra better a bit?
If you check/believe/trust the dogfunk video link I put up a few post up about the Ultra = Playful, skatey, buttery, forgiving flex for an 155 lb guy on a 158 = damn near noodle in my world (6'1 185) ..
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBF View Post
If you check/believe/trust the dogfunk video link I put up a few post up about the Ultra = Playful, skatey, buttery, forgiving flex for an 155 lb guy on a 158 = damn near noodle in my world (6'1 185) ..
I guarantee it wont be. Too much carbon for that. It felt soft to the Dogfunk asshat cause its flat between the feet and rocker outside and he was probably riding it super tail heavy. Which you don't do with that camber style on a board that is DESIGNED to float.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I guarantee it wont be. Too much carbon for that. It felt soft to the Dogfunk asshat cause its flat between the feet and rocker outside and he was probably riding it super tail heavy. Which you don't do with that camber style on a board that is DESIGNED to float.

Which board are you talking about?

The Peacekeeper has the carbon/kevlar "ollie" bar.

The Utra does not have any carbon strips , right? .. (at least according to the website)?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBF View Post
Which board are you talking about?

The Peacekeeper has the carbon/kevlar "ollie" bar.

The Utra does not have any carbon strips , right? .. (at least according to the website)?
Ultra specs via evo.com:

"Carbon Web™ II is designed specifically to enhance Baseline technology and brings the pop of carbon closer to your bindings for more energy in all your riding."

It does NOT have the ollie bar though... which makes me a sad man, but still seems like it has enough going on in the core to provide anyone with necessary pop.
iNeedPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedPow View Post
Ultra specs via evo.com:

"Carbon Web™ II is designed specifically to enhance Baseline technology and brings the pop of carbon closer to your bindings for more energy in all your riding."

It does NOT have the ollie bar though... which makes me a sad man, but still seems like it has enough going on in the core to provide anyone with necessary pop.
Nice!
I need pow i'm in the same boat as you..I'm on the fence between the 2 boards.

K2's website needs to throw some more details out there! Peacekeeper reviews are scarce.

Last edited by BFBF; 11-01-2012 at 04:41 PM.