Powder Board - Jones, K2, or ?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 613
Default Powder Board - Jones, K2, or ??

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new powder board and I can't seem to figure out which board would suit my style of riding.

I currently have a 2010 K2 gyrator and it does very well for me. It is a light board, twin-ish IIRc and basically unsinkable. It does very well in the trees and hasn't given me any problems off cliffs up to ~20ft.

Think of my riding style as freestyle influenced freeriding. I love to jump and spin off of natural features as well bomb through the trees. So the board has to be quick edge to edge. A lot of big mountain boards wont work for me because of this.

My stats:
5'9"
155lbs
9.5 boot


The list:

Jones Flagship 158
Jones Mountain Twin 157 or 160
K2 Ultra Dream 158
K2 Peace Keeper 159

I'm also open to other ideas.

Thanks for your help!
~ BP
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

The Ultra Dream is great. Also check out the YES Pick your Line. Amazing pow board with plenty of freestyle possibilities.

Jones boards are made at the Nidecker factory which sometimes have quality issues. YES used to be built there as well but (according to a rep) for this season they moved to the Elan factory which is a big step up. I own a Pick your Line and it's my favorite.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,678
Default

I'd probably say the Ultra Dream.
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new powder board and I can't seem to figure out which board would suit my style of riding.

I currently have a 2010 K2 gyrator and it does very well for me. It is a light board, twin-ish IIRc and basically unsinkable. It does very well in the trees and hasn't given me any problems off cliffs up to ~20ft.

Think of my riding style as freestyle influenced freeriding. I love to jump and spin off of natural features as well bomb through the trees. So the board has to be quick edge to edge. A lot of big mountain boards wont work for me because of this.

My stats:
5'9"
155lbs
9.5 boot


The list:

Jones Flagship 158
Jones Mountain Twin 157 or 160
K2 Ultra Dream 158
K2 Peace Keeper 159

I'm also open to other ideas.

Thanks for your help!
~ BP

May I suggest.....
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
May I suggest.....
I've thought about that but that means no riding switch.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,519
Default

Well, you said powder board... Any board can land landings switch or take 20-30ft of run-in switch.... Do a lot of switch powder riding do you?
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
Well, you said powder board... Any board can land landings switch or take 20-30ft of run-in switch.... Do a lot of switch powder riding do you?
It isn't like I do an entire run switch... which would put me forward of center. I think that would be a very little fun.


More so I can feel confident that I can land or approach switch where required and not feel trapped if I'm on the wrong edge.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I've thought about that but that means no riding switch.
Hovercrafters swear they can ride switch too. Of course a tail like that is not ideal. You ride Kirkwood...I'm addicted to that place. See you in line for 6!
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Hovercrafters swear they can ride switch too. Of course a tail like that is not ideal. You ride Kirkwood...I'm addicted to that place. See you in line for 6!
I'll be a brighter version of last year and the year before.

green pants blue jacket.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I'll be a brighter version of last year and the year before.

green pants blue jacket.

Unless I renew mine...still black on black. Probably new helmet. You got your pass already? man I'm Jonesing to Jones that Jones board.
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums