Stupid(?) Board length question - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
So why don't you answer it for him then? It seems to me like he already answered his own questions in the original post.
Because A) OP didn't give height/weight/etc., which come in really handy when trying to ballpark size someone and B) when you're already riding a 54 and a 57 and considering a 161, nobody other than you yourself can answer whether a 151 is going to be rideable.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
So the consensus goes with what I said then? Does 151 for street and 161 for pow sound like it could be right for a 180lber?
160 sounds about right 151 you can proabbly make it work as long as you're not doing any actual snowboarding and simply just jibbing & street stuff.

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know this has nothing to do with the OP question, but its related to the calc. I just ran my stats in there and it said that for me a 160 is what I would want for a freeride board..... and guess what I bought NS 160 Heritage.
atr3yu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

It seems that I caused a long dialog regarding the calculator. It gives just a ruff result, which everybody can used as orienteer and narrow the choices. Nevertheless, I would like to know what guys will you recommend for me?

I am 6' 5" (195cm) and 240lbs (107kg).
ralch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralch View Post
It seems that I caused a long dialog regarding the calculator. It gives just a ruff result, which everybody can used as orienteer and narrow the choices. Nevertheless, I would like to know what guys will you recommend for me?

Here you go!

Quote:
You can calculate the board size simply by using this calculator.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
So, assuming that all boards I look at buying have blunted tips, I have an Evo 154 for park/domes, and a Proto 157 for riding the mountains. I really like these lengths and they feel as stable as they 'should' when I'm doing respective things on them. Say, I want a more freeride oriented board, would I then size up again to say 160 on a e.g Heritage? (not that I would get a 3rd NS board.... I don't think....)

And again if I wanted a stick for absolute pressing the absolute shit out of and buttering and jibbing and urban malarkey - would I go down to a e.g. 151 Arbor Draft?

Hope this isn't too stupid a question
Based on the fact that you are 180 lbs - I would say a 151 for a noodle jib board is fine and a 160 Heritage for a more freeride-oriented (although not quite pure freeride) would work as well as you are moving up in length AND stiffness. Boards get stiffer as you move up in length within the same model board (i.e. a 160 Heritage is a bit stiffer than a 155 Heritage)... but it isn't just length - materials, construction and sidecut matter as well (a "157" Heritage would be stiffer and damper than a 157 Proto already).

I agree with trying something else than Never Summer. I love the brand... but it's not like it's the only company out there making quality stuff.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Here you go!
hahah I know what the calculator produces. I just want to see recommendations from real experienced guys
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Because A) OP didn't give height/weight/etc., which come in really handy when trying to ballpark size someone and B) when you're already riding a 54 and a 57 and considering a 161, nobody other than you yourself can answer whether a 151 is going to be rideable.
Fair enough... Yeah I'd hesitate to ride a 151 at 180 pounds. My 135 lb girlfriend rides a 149. So there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
I know this has nothing to do with the OP question, but its related to the calc. I just ran my stats in there and it said that for me a 160 is what I would want for a freeride board..... and guess what I bought NS 160 Heritage.
Lol yeah the calculator seems to key in well with most of the manufacturers recommendations that I've seen. Although now I'm considering a Kessler ride 163.

Quote:

Use the calc! Lol... But like david_z said we need details to make a more accurate suggestion. Experience, riding style, what type of snow you'll usually ride in, etc. For a 240 pound guy you'll likely need a big board. Probably 164 or a 164 wide. Even then I don't want to sound like a prick but leaning out a little wouldn't hurt! Depending on what you want to do with the board you'll want to buy on the stiff side for it to be able to be responsive for your size.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Based on the fact that you are 180 lbs - I would say a 151 for a noodle jib board is fine
yeah but based on the fact that he's 6'5" a 151 might be too short thing's only going to come up to his dick if he's lucky.

What sort of stance does he need at that height and will a 151 Draft allow for that? IDK.

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Use the calc! Lol... But like david_z said we need details to make a more accurate suggestion. Experience, riding style, what type of snow you'll usually ride in, etc. For a 240 pound guy you'll likely need a big board. Probably 164 or a 164 wide. Even then I don't want to sound like a prick but leaning out a little wouldn't hurt! Depending on what you want to do with the board you'll want to buy on the stiff side for it to be able to be responsive for your size.
This is the exactly what I expected to read. I am thinking to get something around 164-165cm (probably skunk ape). Presently, I have 170cm and it is not my board. It's to heavy and difficult to manoeuvre.