Questions regarding a new board+bindings+boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions regarding a new board+bindings+boots

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding a planned purchase of a new snowboard+bindings+boots and was hoping you guys would be able to help me.

First off, my measurements: I am 185cm (about 6'05) and weigh about 80kg (175 pounds) with normal shoe size of 44.5/45 (an 11-11.5 i think). I dont do tricks and dont race down the piste either - i generally enjoy simply cruising down the hill.

So, I admit I am not very experienced when it comes to buying a board. Actually, I've only ever bought one, and that was an entry level Nitro board when I was 15 - that was 13 years ago and since then I've gone boarding many times but usually rent stuff. Now I am planning on getting me a new set, and I am really lost - with just about everything!

My old board was a 159, and I've rented multiple boards between 158 and 165 and feel that the shorter ones are better for me. I feel them to be more maneuvarable and since I am not that much into pure speed the "slowness" that is attributed to a shorter board doesnt bother me. So I am planning to get something in the 158 area. Does that make sense given my size? I hear that I should be taking 162++ boards, but those felt awkward for me. Also, due to my large feet, I think I should be getting a mid-wide at least, right?

Regarding boots and bindings i admit - i have not the slightest clue whats good.

I am sorry if my post is so "unprofessional", and I've tried doing research but I am totally lost and would really appreciate a bit of assistance.

Thanks,
Ebselarius
Ebselarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This depends a lot on the specific board but if you like cruising and easy turns and aren't into charging hard I'd consider even down to 155. With your shoe size you are on the edge of needing a wide board, and most boards in the 155 wide size should work with your weight, especially since you don't mind being at the top end of the weight range.

Do some demos if you can first, that is the best way. If you really are keen on a little short board that is fun and easy to turn, (but not great for charging fast lines down the hill) consider burton Nug. I tried one and it was really fun and easy to turn because of its small size.

For boots and bindings it sounds like you should avoid really stiff boots and bindings and get some thing medium stiffness or even a bit on the soft side. For this kind of riding I don' think you need to spend big, there's lots of good intermediate level stuff out there that would be very good for cruising along.

Last edited by Lamps; 10-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks alot, Lamps!

That really helped me out alot. I felt like I was getting awkward looks the last times I asked for such a "short" board. But it seems that these considerations are probably abit above my skill level and preferences. I also read alot about the hardness of the actual board, and that just confused me more

I will definitely take a look at the Nug. Regarding boots and bindings - is there a "minimum" standard so to speak that I shouldnt go under. I see that boots and bindings can be rather cheap, on the other hand you can also spend alot on those. I just want to make sure that what I buy will suit my needs, not bringing me to overspend or be substantially above and beyond what is sensible for my skill level, while also not being stuck with something I would need to replace in 1-2seasons.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I can see from the other posts that this is not really the level of discussion this forum is used to!

Ebselarius
Ebselarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are planning on sticking with the sport I would definitely invest on a good pair of bindings, higher on the end of the range if not the top.
As you are starting out, avoid flexy park bindings and go for more responsive all mountain bindings. Most companies will have a mention of the intention of each binding on their website. Otherwise if you like the look or sound of a binding but aren't sure of the info..then just type all mountain or park after it and you should be able to work it out from there.
Full EVA footbeds feel great and a canted base, personally I feel sets you up for a better ride. Most companies include this on at least some of their range.

Boots are pretty personal. Make sure they are tight (usually a size down from your regular size) there is no heel lift, and while firm in the toe box, that your toes aren't completely mashed together. Test out different lacing systems. Everyone is different. I went from a quick lock lacing which i didn't mind but made the top joint of little finger sore when I had to adjust them a few times (i have trouble getting boots to fit/heel lift small Achilles gals thing) to a regular lace system. I love the regular lace. Boa is not for me though.

There is lots to explore so try as much as you can out, you can ask about to get some ideas to research but just remember everyone's preference is different due to their body, style of riding and just what they like to have for their set up :-)
Soggysnow is offline   Reply With Quote