Should I upgrade or get a new board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I upgrade or get a new board?

I've been riding a 2007 burton custom x and just recently bought some new bindings that won't work with burton 1st gen channel system. I am in the market for a new board.

Should I update and get the new custom x or get something else?

If something else, what would best complement the custom x? I ride both on the east coast and west coast. I like to cruise around and want to learn how to jump and do some boxes and rails.
doctorandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorandrew View Post
I've been riding a 2007 burton custom x and just recently bought some new bindings that won't work with burton 1st gen channel system. I am in the market for a new board.

If something else, what would best complement the custom x? I ride both on the east coast and west coast. I like to cruise around and want to learn how to jump and do some boxes and rails.
A few questions before we can get into specifics.

How much do you ride on the East coast and how much do you ride on the West coast? How much do you plan on actually being in the park (few a just runs... or are you planning on spending an entire half day / full day in the park?)

BTW, what bindings did you buy? Are they compatible with the newer Burton ICS system even?
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Can't remember where but there's a website somewhere that will match the board and the bindings and spit out the right burton hardware.

I thought you could just use the old hardware with the newer bindings? Might just need some washers???

Either way, if you can demo the boards before buying I'd try that. If you go from a Custom X to a softer board it may feel weird.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't plan on staying at the park for even half a day. Maybe a quick run through once or twice. As far as east vs west, it's basically half/half.

I bought the new Flows NX2-AT bindings and they do work with the newer ICS.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't plan on staying at the park for even half a day. Maybe a quick run through once or twice.
In that case, don't worry about trying to get a board that is "good for park" since you are spend less 5% of your time there. All modern boards can do basic jumps and boxes in a pinch... I've 180s and board slides on my 160 cm powder board (it's not ideal, but it's not as bad as people think it is).

My suggestions (there are many other boards out there, don't be restricted to what I say... except don't buy a LIBTECH... they suck! j/k )
Never Summer Heritage or Premier (the Evo and Proto and maybe even the SL are too soft for what you are looking for).
Rome Anthem
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stick with Flow and look at the Maverick or Solitude. Similar, but one's camber and one's rocker. Signal OG is another if you wanna stick with camber.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Are you sure about incompatibility - I was pretty sure that you could just get different fittings to fit the new EST bindings to the old board.

If a stiff board is your key criteria the custom X is for you within the burton line. If you want to have something a little softer but still wtih lots of tech there's a new Burton board, the Antler that might be suitable. I don't think of the custom X as targeted at boxes and rails - I think it is good for jumps and pipe, and for fast lines on steep slopes.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I went to the Burton flagship store and they assured me that nothing could be done, outside of modifying the footbed of the flows for the bulging screws.

Been looking into Never Summer Heritage, Arbor Blacklist, and T. Rice HP. How do those stack up against each other and against the Custom X?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

None really compare well. Custom X is an aggressive cambered deck. Nothing but another aggressive cambered deck is going to compare. From NS you'll need the Raptor or Summit. From Mervin the Goat or I wanna say the new Lando? Which ever has C3.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Went with the Never Summer Heritage. Let's see how different it is from the Custom X.