Another Board Question Thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another Board Question Thread

Hey guys,

So I'm a long time lurker, first time poster after finally signing up yesterday and just getting activated. I currently live in Toronto and have been boarding in and around the area here for the past 10 or so years. I'd say I'm pretty advanced for the area and actually just got a job out in Whistler for the season and figure I might as well get a new board since I've been running with what I have for the past few years.

So, my "current" board is a 2006ish Sims Chaos series board. Old, I know, but I've loved the thing for years but I'd like to possibly start building a quiver of sorts. So I know the conditions out in Whistler are completely different than here in eastern Canada so what I was wondering is what kind of board should I be looking to get to really take advantage of the Whistler terrain? I'm more a carver and downhill kind of rider. I've never been big on the park. I'll hit some jumps here and there but could care less about rails and boxes and the sort. So I'd figure something around an all-mountain board.

I've been looking around recently and have been feeling the Burton boards based on what I've seen and read. The boards that have really caught my eye are the Custom X, Custom Flying V and the Sherlock has really piqued my interest because I love riding powder and it sounds like an amazing powder board.

What I am looking for would be some recommendations based on what I've posted above and what you guys know. Just so you know, I'm 6 feet about 180 lbs and size 10 boot. I'm pretty much set on bindings (I am buying a set of Cartels, regardless of board) and might buy new boots (my current ones felt a little tight around the toes last year), but the board is what I'm really looking for.

I'm hoping to hit the Snowboard show here in Toronto later today and see if I can find any good deals, but some board recommendations beforehand would be greatly appreciated.
Dysantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I'd buy the Custom X but I like stiff cambered boards for the knarly stuff! But seriously though if you don't find any good deals, buy one after you move. I don't know how often they visit Whistler (probably all the time) but Burton demo days are your friend.

BTW, I moved from Hamilton to Calgary. Love it.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

I'd kind of say wait, til you get there and on the hill. Conditions are highly variable top to bottom and day to day. But start thinking about a quiver and this time of year a fair amt of trading happens if you don't mind used...there are animals that trash stuff and there is gaper stuff that is barely ridden.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
I'd kind of say wait, til you get there and on the hill. Conditions are highly variable top to bottom and day to day. But start thinking about a quiver and this time of year a fair amt of trading happens if you don't mind used...there are animals that trash stuff and there is gaper stuff that is barely ridden.
I don't trash my stuff!!! lol
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Flow Drifter, Arbor Coda, YES Greats asym, Flow Rush, Nitro Team Gullwing, Endeavor Live Reverse, or a Bataleon Goliath.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical about any used stuff. It can look fine, but for all I know they cracked it at one point and just repaired it really well. I'd rather stick to buying new. At least for what will be my main board. But waiting until I get there is probably what I'm going to do unless I find some absolutely ridiculous deal I can't pass up today. lol

Thanks for the recommendations Nivek, I looked up some info on the ones you posted and the Flow Drifter, Arbor Coda and Endeavor Live Reverse look like promising options to add to the list.

So many nice boards, I wish I had more money to buy a bunch of them. lol
Old 10-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely wait and do a demo if you can. I live in Toronto and try to do 2 trips per year to whistler, where I ride my 163 Sherlock and really like it for those conditions. I'm same size as you, and I also have a cambered board that I ride most of the time in Ontario. However, my buddy who lives out there rides a 166 burton malolo. I have the Sherlock b/c I live in Ontario so a true powder boRd woukd be wasted. If I was you and was lucky enough to live there I'd probably get a dedicated powder board like burton fish or barracudas, and keep the other board you have for non powder days.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

The only problem with a true powder board is that I am not moving to Whistler as my permanent residence. At least I don't know if I will be. The job I got is for the winter season. It's still up in the air if I will stay after the season is over or move on to somewhere else or back to Toronto. Although, if I do move somewhere else, I could always just sell the board.

Either way, I went to the snowboard show and didn't find anything that seemed like a good enough deal for me to buy. So I guess I'm waiting until I get to Whistler and pestering Burton to have a demo day asap. lol