New-ish Boarder, buying board.. Skate Banana? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarDom13 View Post
I've heard of NeverSummer, and i saw a lot of good reviews on them. I've been looking for a used board in good shape, I don't want to commit yet to a brand new board without really knowing the sport as well as I should, along with what type of boarder I am. Is the 152 too small? My shoe size is a 9 but I was wearing a size 10 boot last season.
Hi BoarD,

The best indicator of if you will enjoy riding a board...is if you have enjoyed riding that board. 152 is a fine size for you in this model. If you have access to a used 152 in this model at a fair price and you are progressing on it, you should buy it. Your goal is to have fun and you sound like you are having a blast!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Welcome!

One piece of advice. If you're staying up the whole day, you're not trying hard enough! I've been boarding 20 years and fall several times a day.

Another thing that I strongly suggest to new riders looking at a new board: Demo as many as you can. Now is not the time to buy a board, they're in demand and prices are high. If you can ride your current board for this season, and get to any demo days there are in your area, then buy a board mid-late in the season.
You can still find a shit load of 50% off 2012 boards... I got my 2012 Devun Walsh for like 320

One of my buddies picked up a 2012 skate banana for 350 tax in at the Toronto Snowboard Show as well so if you look hard enough and are ok with a board thats last years model its not that bad.
faridk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've heard of NeverSummer, and i saw a lot of good reviews on them. I've been looking for a used board in good shape, I don't want to commit yet to a brand new board without really knowing the sport as well as I should, along with what type of boarder I am. Is the 152 too small? My shoe size is a 9 but I was wearing a size 10 boot last season.
I agree that 152 is too small for anything but park riding for someone who is 160 lbs I'm 155 lbs and I ride a 154 for park. For all around riding, I would suggest 155-158 freeride board (seriously you should be able to do all the basic tricks on *any* type of a board.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying for the perfect board for you just yet as you said yourself you are still learning to ride and learning what type of riding you like to do. If you find a board that is a good price, post it to this thread and I'm sure people will tell you whether it is good for you or not. I personally would avoid anything the mentioned "street or jibs" in it for now.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
I agree that 152 is too small for anything but park riding for someone who is 160 lbs I'm 155 lbs and I ride a 154 for park. For all around riding, I would suggest 155-158 freeride board (seriously you should be able to do all the basic tricks on *any* type of a board.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying for the perfect board for you just yet as you said yourself you are still learning to ride and learning what type of riding you like to do. If you find a board that is a good price, post it to this thread and I'm sure people will tell you whether it is good for you or not. I personally would avoid anything the mentioned "street or jibs" in it for now.
I'm actually currently looking at a GNU CHB 2008, 153 that I can pick up for $200. It seems to be in good shape, white bindings just a little dirty.
BoarDom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm actually currently looking at a GNU CHB 2008, 153 that I can pick up for $200. It seems to be in good shape, white bindings just a little dirty.
Hi BoarD,

That is not a good deal. You will find many 2012 boards with current tech for ~ the same price brand new.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
2008 is too old (5 seasons).
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
2008 is too old (5 seasons).
While I agree that technology keeps improving, there's nothing wrong with taking care of your gear and keeping it for a long time. I've got a board from 1995 that will still haul ass...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Carbon Credit 2012 (which replaced the high beam) and many other models are available new for $248 with free shipping. A used 2008 high beam should be $80 to $100 in good condition.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
While I agree that technology keeps improving, there's nothing wrong with taking care of your gear and keeping it for a long time. I've got a board from 1995 that will still haul ass...
I am specifically referring to what to do when buying a used board where you are not sure how it was treated (can you really trust a seller who is not your friend?)

What board do you have from 1995? I can only think of one board from that era that is still worth riding today for anything except nostalgic purposes.

Last edited by lonerider; 10-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
There is a difference between owning a board for 5 years and buying a used board where you are not sure how it was treated.

What board do you have from 1995? I can only think of one board from that era that is still worth riding today for anything except nostalgic purporses.
Fair enough, I wouldn't buy a 5 year old used board either my bad.

I have a '95 Kemper Freestyle. It rails. I know what you'll all say so I'm prepared with my flamesuit, but it's actually quite narrow, stiff, and fairly damp. I've still got the thing was thinking of taking it out one day just to remind myself what I grew up on. I used to race the thing back in the late 90's! (against guys in sperm suits)
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new board, new jersey, skate banana