New-ish Boarder, buying board.. Skate Banana? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New-ish Boarder, buying board.. Skate Banana?

I learned last year, and picked it up rather quickly. By the end of the season I was hitting jumps and boxes and had no problem staying up the whole day. I tried a friends Skate Banana, 152 (i'm 5'8", 160 lbs) and loved it, I was flying all over the mountain and had ridiculous control. I'd like to buy one for the upcoming season, but I'm not sure if I loved it because I was riding a 157 Burton a friend gave me for free from 2003 when he started. Any suggestions on boards? I'm not into park too much but I'll hit the jumps occasionally, is the skate banana for me?
BoarDom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are a lot of more better options for the price if u are considering the banana. A shorter board is usually gonna be more maneuvareble than the longer one.
sxdaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi BoarD,

Please let us know your foot size as well. Rider height is not a factor in board sizing but shoe size is a big one.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Northern MI (the snow is continually sucking up here)

Congrats on learning to snowboard! It sounds like you would want to ride an all-mountain or freestyle snowboard. While the skate banana is an awesome snowboard, like sxdaca said, you can do better for the price and still meet your needs as a newish boarder. And, as Wiredsport said, your height does not have that much to do with the size of board that you will be riding. Weight, shoe size, and riding style are what to consider when choosing a board size. You might want to look into some of Ride's boards, or maybe a Rome. Don't dismiss getting a used board, as long as it's in good shape. There are many gems out there still worth riding! A brand you might want to check out is NeverSummer. The company is based out of Colorado, and that's where the boards are made. I have been riding a 2011 Neversummer Evo, and it's been a blast! There are lots of little technicalities that go into choosing a board, as well as semantics. People will tell you that "Burton sucks," or "nobody likes that brand." Don't follow the crowd just because they're "cool." If you want to ride a certain board, and you like the feel of it, go with it! Have fun shredding!
huckit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarDom13 View Post
I learned last year, and picked it up rather quickly. By the end of the season I was hitting jumps and boxes and had no problem staying up the whole day. I tried a friends Skate Banana, 152 (i'm 5'8", 160 lbs) and loved it, I was flying all over the mountain and had ridiculous control. I'd like to buy one for the upcoming season, but I'm not sure if I loved it because I was riding a 157 Burton a friend gave me for free from 2003 when he started. Any suggestions on boards? I'm not into park too much but I'll hit the jumps occasionally, is the skate banana for me?
No, I don't think a skate banana is the right board for you since you said you are "not into park too much" and only "hit jumps occasionally".

I can believe it was fun and playful to ride for you as a beginner as it is super easy to flex and pivot without catching your edges) but unless you are dedicating at least half you day in the park (all morning, or all afternoon) then there are other boards out there that are better. There are other board in Lib tech's lineup that are probably better for you.

Last edited by lonerider; 10-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I have an 159 Attack Banana. Perhaps that would be a better choice. Just my 2 cents which is worth about 1 cent
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!

Don't get a skate banana
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarDom13 View Post
Welcome!

One piece of advice. If you're staying up the whole day, you're not trying hard enough! I've been boarding 20 years and fall several times a day.

Another thing that I strongly suggest to new riders looking at a new board: Demo as many as you can. Now is not the time to buy a board, they're in demand and prices are high. If you can ride your current board for this season, and get to any demo days there are in your area, then buy a board mid-late in the season.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Welcome!

One piece of advice. If you're staying up the whole day, you're not trying hard enough! I've been boarding 20 years and fall several times a day.

Another thing that I strongly suggest to new riders looking at a new board: Demo as many as you can. Now is not the time to buy a board, they're in demand and prices are high. If you can ride your current board for this season, and get to any demo days there are in your area, then buy a board mid-late in the season.
Mostly agree with that. Although I think that at his stage demo-ing a lot of more boards is overkill. Instead, he should try a few decks from friends or that are floating around used and go with whatever matches his requirements and feels comfortable/fun.
Totally agree with the bit of when to buy.

Also, Skate Banana is a great board (if a little expensive), but at 152 seems too small for the OP for anything but pure park riding.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've heard of NeverSummer, and i saw a lot of good reviews on them. I've been looking for a used board in good shape, I don't want to commit yet to a brand new board without really knowing the sport as well as I should, along with what type of boarder I am. Is the 152 too small? My shoe size is a 9 but I was wearing a size 10 boot last season.
BoarDom13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new board, new jersey, skate banana