All Mountain Boards Proto CT vs. Arbor Coda vs. ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default All Mountain Boards Proto CT vs. Arbor Coda vs. ?

Time to upgrade from my old Burton Rippey. I'm 5'5 about 155 lbs. and live and ride in New England. I've been boarding forever but I don't get that many days in per season. I'd say that I'm a solid intermediate who's looking to upgrade my game a little. Most of my time has been spent in the groomers but they kinda bore me now so I've really enjoyed trees and POW runs over the past couple of seasons. I do like hitting jumps and some of the smaller park features but that's not my main focus. So I figure I'd be looking for an AM board that will help me in the trees, is a bit playful, but can also handle the icy mix crap we get in New England.

My digging has led me to either the NS Proto CT or the Arbor Coda. I've seen a couple of others but I'm trying not to go off on too many rabbit holes.

I'm also leaning towards the Burton Cartel bindings. What's up with the restricted bindings? Supposedly, they are better but you can't get them online? WTF?
woodyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
Time to upgrade from my old Burton Rippey. I'm 5'5 about 155 lbs. and live and ride in New England. I've been boarding forever but I don't get that many days in per season. I'd say that I'm a solid intermediate who's looking to upgrade my game a little. Most of my time has been spent in the groomers but they kinda bore me now so I've really enjoyed trees and POW runs over the past couple of seasons. I do like hitting jumps and some of the smaller park features but that's not my main focus. So I figure I'd be looking for an AM board that will help me in the trees, is a bit playful, but can also handle the icy mix crap we get in New England.

My digging has led me to either the NS Proto CT or the Arbor Coda. I've seen a couple of others but I'm trying not to go off on too many rabbit holes.

I'm also leaning towards the Burton Cartel bindings. What's up with the restricted bindings? Supposedly, they are better but you can't get them online? WTF?
I just bought a Proto with Restricted Malavita's. Haven't ridden it yet, but I ride groomers and park. Im amped to get on it though.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,763
Default

I like all your choices.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
Time to upgrade from my old Burton Rippey. I'm 5'5 about 155 lbs. and live and ride in New England. I've been boarding forever but I don't get that many days in per season. I'd say that I'm a solid intermediate who's looking to upgrade my game a little. Most of my time has been spent in the groomers but they kinda bore me now so I've really enjoyed trees and POW runs over the past couple of seasons. I do like hitting jumps and some of the smaller park features but that's not my main focus. So I figure I'd be looking for an AM board that will help me in the trees, is a bit playful, but can also handle the icy mix crap we get in New England.

My digging has led me to either the NS Proto CT or the Arbor Coda. I've seen a couple of others but I'm trying not to go off on too many rabbit holes.

I'm also leaning towards the Burton Cartel bindings. What's up with the restricted bindings? Supposedly, they are better but you can't get them online? WTF?
I would lean toward the NS SL or Cobra over the Proto CT. Nothing wrong with the Proto as I own a 2012 Proto CT 154 (I'm 155 lbs as well) ... but I also own/ridden the 2008, 2009 and 2012 SL 155 and the added dampening and edgehold on that board is going to be useful for you on icy, mixed snow conditions you get in New England (I went to school in Boston - used to ride Killington, Sunday River, Loon and Waterville Valley),

The Arbor Coda is actually more like the SL (again a reason for the SL over the Proto). People love to be part of the "in-crowd" and the Proto is an amazing board... but it really is a park board, not an all-mountain board (sure you could ride it all mountain, but that doesn't mean it is an ideal choice for it). It doesn't let you snowboard on water... oh wait, maybe it does.


Last edited by lonerider; 10-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,391
Blog Entries: 5
Default

might wanna consider the Signal Omni. If you're riding mostly groomers at intermediate level the Proto is probably too park-oriented for you, you'll get more mileage out of a damper board and as long as you're not doing lots of park or switch riding, may benefit also from the Omni being a directional board rather than a twin.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sangsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ/NYC
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
<snip> People love to be part of the "in-crowd" and the Proto is an amazing board... but it really is a park board, not an all-mountain board (sure you could ride it all mountain, but that doesn't mean it is an ideal choice for it).
No denying the "in-crowd" effect exists but I bought my Proto after a demo (NS was at Snow on the worst weekend of the year). I'd never heard of the board before and had never even considered Never Summer.

It was the first time I actually felt like I was feeling what snowboarding should feel like (yes, that is the worst sentence ever).
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 59
Default

I just picked up a Proto CT after looking into loads of reviews and such. Yes, it's probably overhyped a bit but I don't think you'll go wrong with it. As someone else mentioned, if you're looking for a bit more stable and damp the SL or Cobra may be up your alley.

Arbors are also very nice. My friend loves his Coda. Probably a lot easier to find on sale as well (or at all)

I HAVE ridden my Cartel re:flex bindings and they're the bomb. Solid construction, loads of adjustability, highly recommend. I found mine on sale.

Ps -- if graphics are your thing, you can't really beat the carbonium topsheet of the Proto. It's crazy up close.

Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the advice guys. The Proto SL eh? I found a 11/12 model size 153 for 10% off. Any changes from 12 to 13?

In general are NS boards consider better than Arbors?
woodyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,391
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. The Proto SL eh? I found a 11/12 model size 153 for 10% off. Any changes from 12 to 13?

In general are NS boards consider better than Arbors?
pretty sure there are no changes to the Proto this year.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
pretty sure there are no changes to the Proto this year.
qft asked and confirmed many times
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums