Will upgrading make much of a difference? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will upgrading make much of a difference?

I currently use a pretty low-end setup. It was also my first and I'm wondering if I upgrade everything, will it make much of a difference? I currently use the Burton "White Collection" board. I think its the cheapest model they make. I also use the Burton Freestyle bindings and the Burton Invader boots. So pretty much the cheapest stuff Burton makes. I'm a fan of Burton gear because I believe its good quality and its a majority of what my local store carries. I'm strictly an all mountain rider. I've never been to or have any interest in going to a park. However I do like jumps. From my reading it seems that all mountain riders have the stiffest boots, bindings and boards. Thats pretty much the exact opposite of what I have. I've been looking at the Burton Driver X boots, Cartel, EST, Restricted bindings. I don't know much about the differences between them. I'm also looking at the burton Barracuda board. Apparently a stiff, supportive setup will help you go faster as well. If thats true, it would be amazing because on my board, when the hills flatten out for a bit I tend to lose speed and sometimes its so bad I come to a complete stop. I'll say I'm a pretty decent rider. I go down Black Diamonds at Mount St. Anne no problem. Le Massif hills are no biggie as long as I don't catch an edge in foot deep powder.
Spyrothedragon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

If you are well past the beginner stages, you will probably appreciate upgrading everything.

All the answers to your questions are on this website, do some browsing.

Even tho BA will disagree with me, a waxed base will help you to maintain speed in the flats.

If you aren't super confident about where your abilities meet what you think you are looking at, mellow out your consideration. For example just because you are not going park, a board like an NS Summit or Raptor is just overkill for resort riding, especially if you are inexperienced with gear.

Know what I mean? If you don't then just get yourself a monoski, a hard boot setup, and go eurocarving with the rest of the wierdos.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Update boots first, then board, then bindings (no need to completely change all your gear at once... because then you won't be able to figure out what part of the gear is working for you, and what is not).

Stiffer, supportive boots will really help your free-riding. If you have to go Burton, Burton Driver X have good stiffness... but make sure that they fit you properly (your heel doesn't lift when you bend your knees into a squat, there are NO pressure points or empty areas... the boot should feel very snug in the store, with your toes possibly even grazing the front of the boot when you are standing upright).

I like Nitro boots myself, as fit my narrow heel and wide toe flat feet very well. Backcountry.com ships Nitro boots to Canada for free and is really good about exchanges and returns (you just pay $6 shipping back). Check them out if you have feet like me.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

I went from a bottom-of-the-line Morrow to a Never Summer Heritage a couple years ago, and the difference was dramatic and immediate. I haven't made any large leaps in quality of bindings or boots so I can't comment on them, but boards do make a difference. Mind you, I was changing price range, brand, and board configuration. If you just go to a more expensive board of the same brand with the same shape it might not be quite as much an eye-opener. But def worth it.

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

A new setup would help for sure. If I were you I wouldn't just look at Burton stuff. I don't think the Barracuda would be good for our conditions. I suggest you take a trip to the Empire Store on Des Gradins in Quebec City. Large inventory and knowledgeable staff. They also have a nice selection of last year stuff on sale (40% + off).

My GF went from a Burton V-Rocker to a Never Summer last season and saw the difference immediately (she's intermediate at best) .
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Same.
I went from my basic " Ride Control" / Cartels, and MOTO boots to Arbor A-Frame, K2cinch and Driver X boots. Difference was huge.

Still the most useful piece of equipment is my season pass. How often you ride is more important then what you ride. Of course if you can improve both...even better!
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I actually live outside of Ottawa. I go to Mont St. Anne, Le Massif and Mont Tremblant about once a year. I frequent the hills that are somewhat closer to the Ottawa, Quebec border. They're not that great but what can you do? It seems that I'll be going to Tommy and Lefebvre and trying everything out, while keeping an open mind. Any products or brands that you would recommend?
Spyrothedragon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Swaped my shitty Drake bindings for a pair of 2012 Cartels. The difference was absolutely ridiculous right away.. huge improvement.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, I thought you were somewhere near Quebec. Do you only have T & L nearby? If so, I'd go there try on some boots. You NEED to try lots of boots and pick the most comfortable ones.

Hate to suggest that, but for the rest I'd look online. There is a good thread in the board section with Canadian retailers.

I personnaly dealt with Empire, Boardroom and Alter Ego. I can recommend all of them.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrothedragon9 View Post
I actually live outside of Ottawa. I go to Mont St. Anne, Le Massif and Mont Tremblant about once a year. I frequent the hills that are somewhat closer to the Ottawa, Quebec border. They're not that great but what can you do? It seems that I'll be going to Tommy and Lefebvre and trying everything out, while keeping an open mind. Any products or brands that you would recommend?
Well at least Mont. St Anne and Mont Tremblant (if Mt. Orfort still open?) actually get true powder in the winter (it's rare for that to happen in New England) and you get all the poutine you can eat!

Well if you aren't completely illiterate, you will have noticed the "Never Summer" pops up a lot (go for the SL over the Proto CT or Evo... I've owned all three). It's a great brand, but it's not the only brand out there. Check out Arbor Coda (Westmark and Blacklist are more park boards), K2 (I've been told the Raygun is a great mid-level board that can do it it), Rome Agent or Anthem (I've owned or ridden both). I used to like Salomon snowboards... but it has been over 5 years since I last rode one of their boards and all the model/names have changed.

Wait I actually discovered Tomy and Lebefvre actually has a website... hmm, the only board I would recommend is Ride Antic. I personally don't like Burton or Lib Tech myself (although a lot of my friends do).

I found this Signal Omni for 40% off sale on Department of Goods. It looks good, although unlike my previous recommendations, I've never actually ridden it so I would suggest you do some research on it.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bindings, board, boots, burton, upgrade