New Board advice please as its been a few years - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board advice please as its been a few years

Hi

New here and hope you experts can help. I NEED (current board is destroyed) a new snowboard and I want/need your advice.

A little about me:
Im 5'8, 68 kg's and have been snowboarding a fair while. Ive probably clocked about 300-350 days on the hill over the space of 4 seasons living in resorts and a bunch of holidays in between.
I currently ride a GNU Riders Choice 2007/08 154.5 which Im fairly sure was the first season Magne Traction was released.
I ride all over the hill, including the booters in the park but I do NOT ride rails at all anymore. If its snowed I will search for pow. As such Im not after a Jib board
I ride switch a lot so has to be true twin. I also ride fairly fast when I can so dont want a noodle

Where Im looking for advice is since I last bought a board in early 2008, Im aware that there are LOADS of new manufacturers, all sorts of Cambers, different Base types, varied sidecuts etc etc etc

For me, the greatest thing I have experienced on a snowboard on the pistes is Magne Traction, so Im keen to get something with either that, or a similar extra contact point type invention.

I guess I could play safe and simply get the 2013 Riders Choice but I feel Im ignoring lots of other decent options ......Please help

Last edited by Darrenj1471; 10-17-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Darrenj1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow zero replies, was it something I said?

Ok, to make this more to the point - I want a board with Magnetraction, or something like it. Which other manufacturers (or boards) have magnetraction or something like it (and how good a copy is it?)

Thanks
Darrenj1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Brands with very good edge tech are Arbor (Grip Tech) and Never Summer (Vario sidecut). Many prefer them over Magnetraction because magne can actually grip too much and has a few too many contact points for some people. If you want to go true twin, check out the Arbor Westmark (rocker) or the Never Summer Proto CT.

Both of these can handle jumps easily and do well in pow. You can't go wrong with either. Just personal preference.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
Brands with very good edge tech are Arbor (Grip Tech) and Never Summer (Vario sidecut). Many prefer them over Magnetraction because magne can actually grip too much and has a few too many contact points for some people. If you want to go true twin, check out the Arbor Westmark (rocker) or the Never Summer Proto CT.

Both of these can handle jumps easily and do well in pow. You can't go wrong with either. Just personal preference.
This and there are like 6 posts a day exactly like it where every person gets answered, so if you go do a little research you can find a mind numbing amount of information on just about any worthwhile snowboard product without requiring so much personal attention

GL

makes me think we should make some kinda sticky in the boards section, maybe even list the top 50 or so boards that are discussed on the forum..ideas...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I reckon it sounds like the SL would be better than the Proto CT if you look at Never Summer - which you definitely should! The Proto is definitely no noodle but it does get a bit hairy when you start hitting speeds 50 mph and up. I got 70 on it and it scared the absolute bejesus out of me!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphabiscuit View Post
I reckon it sounds like the SL would be better than the Proto CT if you look at Never Summer - which you definitely should! The Proto is definitely no noodle but it does get a bit hairy when you start hitting speeds 50 mph and up. I got 70 on it and it scared the absolute bejesus out of me!
I'm 5'9 150 lbs (68 kg), I own both the Proto 154 (true twin) and SL 155 (directional twin) and I agree the SL if better for freeriding and doing jumps/pipe in the park.

If you really do know how to ride switch... then the SL will be fine, people who "need/prefer" a true twin to ride switch... really need to learn how to ride switch first. I have recently been forcing myself to ride switch more 50% of the time whenever I need to let my friends catch up with me.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM View Post
Darren

If youre feeling adventurous and want to try something new try Dual. Opens the door to more possibilities for tricks and you can walk on them.

They'll be setting up demos and events all through the winter so you can try them out. For $265.00 theyre a great value as well.
Omfg, ban this retard already.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you want a little more bang for your buck, you should check out the Flow Quantum. Not a bad board at all. Its true twin and its fairly cheap for all the technology in it.
NickShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
Omfg, ban this retard already.
But they only cost $265 and you can walk with them

Seriously, who in their right mind think these things are a good idea?

To the OP, almost all major companies offer some sort of edge tech I personally am a fan of Arbor's grip tech take a look at the coda or blacklist/westmark.
lacklusterskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi dude,

The best advice I can give is to go down to a local board shop and get some one on one help. It will take some time, but at least you can look and feel the product in your hands, and get some advice from someone who (hopefully) knows what they are talking about.

Read some reviews about the stores to see if the staff is reliable and go from there.
stupidmop is offline   Reply With Quote