What is the deal with Burton? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Default What is the deal with Burton?

ok I have been reading some old threads and I noticed that a good percentage of you don't like Burton. Is there a specific reason why that is? Do you guys dislike the brand? the products? or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I cant speak for everyone, but I think Burton sometimes suffers from the Windows syndrome. Burton is the biggest, most marketed, most widely recognized brand in snowboarding so I think there is backlash by the "purist" who still wants snowboarding to be the renegade, contrarian sport. I personally love Burton. Having tried other brands of boards, boots, and bindings I found Burton to suit my preferences the best.
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
neosuke

While I sport Burton myself, I feel that after reading much of the threads in the forum - it seems that the price of a burton board is much higher than other quality brands. Example, a burton board for a X price @ Y quality - my opinion is that you can get that same Y quality on another brand's board at a lower price. With all the sponsoring and advertising, those costs have to be flowed through somehow.

Regardless, I have Burton Missions (love the capstrap), Motos, and even R.E.D. helmet. What can I say.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

where is my bat? i have a dead horse to beat!

check this one out. i think all the burton hate you can handle is in here:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...not-great.html

this battle is about as old as skiers v. boarders. and it will never end.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i was fine with burton unyil my boots and bindings broke in less than a season
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seedy J

What tboooe said. Back in the heyday of ska, everyone used to hate on the most popular band, Reel Big Fish. When I was into drifting, everyone hated whoever was winning the D1 Grand Prix. In psytrance, all the purists hate Chemical Crew (one of the most popular labels). In cycling, there's a lot of hate for Trek. Same thing here.

I'm just a n00b, but I don't mind Burton stuff (especially when it's free hand-me-downs from friends). When I get a new board next season, it's not going to be a Burton though. I'm still sore over not being able to use my new Rome 390s on my last trip of the season because of the stupid 3-hole system.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
thelowerclass

I personally don't like Burton just because they aren't what I'm looking for in terms of gear. Not that I bash them, just that they aren't my choice.

I see Burton being kind of like Nike is in skating right now. Both have been involved in the respective industries for a long time, but are just now really really pushing their involvement on to the surface, and people look at this as selling out.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

How come they use the 3 point system in their binding? any advantage on that?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

The only advantage I see to the 3 hole mounting system is generating binding sales. Out of the 4 pairs of bindings I have which will all fit a Burton, None of them have the adjustability that they would have on a normal board, with the plates they come with, or the Burton plates I bought to work with normal bindings but not made specifically for a Burton/Burton setup. If you get real Burton plates with you Burton bindings, you may have a little more adjustability, but it still doesn't fit like you want it to unless you convince yourself that Burton was worth the money (then for some reason you are dillusionally happy )

Forgive me for calling it "Burton" and "Normal" but that is the only way to describe the difference.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy J View Post
What tboooe said. Back in the heyday of ska, everyone used to hate on the most popular band, Reel Big Fish. When I was into drifting, everyone hated whoever was winning the D1 Grand Prix. In psytrance, all the purists hate Chemical Crew (one of the most popular labels). In cycling, there's a lot of hate for Trek. Same thing here.

I'm just a n00b, but I don't mind Burton stuff (especially when it's free hand-me-downs from friends). When I get a new board next season, it's not going to be a Burton though. I'm still sore over not being able to use my new Rome 390s on my last trip of the season because of the stupid 3-hole system.

I have new Rome 390s and they came with a universal disc for a four hole and the Burton 3 hole system. Even shows you in the instructions how to use them with the 3 hole system.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote