NS Proto Question RE Size (154/57) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto Question RE Size (154/57)

I know its been asked before folks but Im findin it hard to get an answer specific to my own needs, so appologies if this pisses anyone off!

Weight: 165lbs (75 kilos)
Height: 5"11
Boot size: US 10

Basically I've decided on the new Proto CT. I work the slopes here in NZ (our season is over but the board will be for next year). What I ride depends on the snow. This season we've had terrible snow so I spend 5 days a week on groomers hitting all sorts of features and 2 days a week in the park. But if we do get good snow next year i'll spend alot of my time off piste and probably quite a few powder runs in the back country in between the park and piste.

Its unlikely we'll get that much powder next season and I want the 154, but if we get lucky and have some big dumps will the 154 hold up ok in the pow or will I regret not opting for the 157? And vice versa if I go for the 157 and we have yet another shit season will I regret the 157 when i'll be in the park quite a bit?

Whats the best compromise here? Bearing in mind I want the 154 Limited Edition
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

The 57 is only going to perform very marginally different in powder. Its still the EXACT same board. Its not like you are comparing a 57 cobra to a 54 proto. Fwiw I weigh about 10lbs more than you and am very happy with my 54 off cliffs in pow whatever.

Also its not a bad powder deck unless you are talking about 4 feet of pacific (Japan/PNW) poo poo, which if you are in, you should obviously get a dedicated pow stick for.

I'd get the 54', don't compromise.

I also want that black one in a 54', fucking sexy board, trying to lay hands on one of this years evos, which will tide me over if I can pull it.

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-17-2012 at 03:56 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The 57 is only going to perform very marginally different in powder. Its still the EXACT same board. Its not like you are comparing a 57 cobra to a 54 proto. Fwiw I weigh about 10lbs more than you and am very happy with my 54 off cliffs in pow whatever.

Also its not a bad powder deck unless you are talking about 4 feet of pacific (Japan/PNW) poo poo, which if you are in, you should obviously get a dedicated pow stick for.

I also want that black one in a 54', fucking sexy board, trying to lay hands on one of this years evos, which will tide me over if I can pull it.
I'll be importin this to the UK and with added tax and all that bullshit I just wanted to be certain before spendin so much dosh. Just what I was hoping, and kinda expected to hear. Cheers mate!
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post

I'm 150-155 lbs and I'm on the Proto 154 myself... it's ok in powder... but I agree 3 more cm is not going to really give you a huge boost in float (I have a dedicated powder board) and not worth getting just for the powder riding.

Matching the board stiffness/length is more important - at 165 lbs, the Proto 154 should be a nice flexy park board that you can press the crap out of it.

Last edited by lonerider; 10-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm 155lb 5'9" and have about 60 days on my 154 proto CT.

For tahoe it is a shitty powder board.

For every day it isn't snowing it is a ton of fun!

As far as the 3cm.. At speed I wouldn't mind a little longer board but I bought it as my all-mtn freestyle deck so shorter was more "fun".

Either way you can't really go wrong.... as long as you aren't trying to ride it in deep snow.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote