help with next snowboard purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile help with next snowboard purchase

Im 5'8 160lbs looking for a freestyle/freeride board i generally like to bomb down the mountain and hit up the park no rails just jumps im not technical with tricks just like to get big air i ride goofy looking to spend 400-500 on a board alone i was looking at a gnu riders choice im open to any suggestions and conditions are usually hardpack with some ice to loose granular
yzryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ok so iv narrowed it down to the gnu riders choice,libtech trs, neversummer proto or sl any suggestions id love some feedback thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Id get the never summer SL if your just bombing runs but still hitting the park a little bit.
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I hit the park as much as i freeride n when im freeriding i hit all the lil kickers n stuff ppl build on the side or ill just race my buddies full throttle
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

How important is switch riding to you? I'm guessing not that important so I would go with the Sl over the proto. I'm not really a fan our lib/gnu boards...especially the ones with magnetraction
a bag of it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
How important is switch riding to you? I'm guessing not that important so I would go with the Sl over the proto. I'm not really a fan our lib/gnu boards...especially the ones with magnetraction
Good luck finding a Mervin board that does not have Magne-Traction. Well, I guess there is the Banana Hammock...

For me Magne-Traction is still the best of all the edge technologies out there. Variogrip is good, so are GripTech and QuickRip. Some of the other technologies are ok, some not so much (FrostBites). But for me personally Magne-Traction is superior to them all - it is what keeps me coming back to Mervin boards (and yes, I know that Rossignol, Smokin', Jones, etc. also have Magne-Traction).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Riding switch is not important to me the only time i do it is when i land a 180 i usually catch the mean edge n bust my a** thanks for your input keep it coming i want as many opinions as possible
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Magnetraction has more initial bite, which makes it easier to set an edge on ice and solid hard pack, but it has less overall edge hold once the edge is set. You don't see anyone racing on magnetraction and there is a reason for that, but go ahead and buy into the bs
a bag of it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Good luck finding a Mervin board that does not have Magne-Traction. Well, I guess there is the Banana Hammock...

For me Magne-Traction is still the best of all the edge technologies out there. Variogrip is good, so are GripTech and QuickRip. Some of the other technologies are ok, some not so much (FrostBites). But for me personally Magne-Traction is superior to them all - it is what keeps me coming back to Mervin boards (and yes, I know that Rossignol, Smokin', Jones, etc. also have Magne-Traction).
Im just looking for a stable board at high speed that can go into the woods n have good turning abilities and can still hit the park i dont no anything about magnetraction i currently own a burton air 157 i think any one of the boards i mentioned would be better than that
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzryder View Post
Riding switch is not important to me the only time i do it is when i land a 180 i usually catch the mean edge n bust my a** thanks for your input keep it coming i want as many opinions as possible
Like in my first post, if you don't care about riding switch get the SL.
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote