Custom 156 or 158, or custom X? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom 156 or 158, or custom X?

I want to get a burton custom or custom X. I am not sure which to choose. I also am unsure of the size I should get. I am 6 foot and weigh 180 lbs. I am torn between the 156 or the 158. I ride mostly groomed runs, a bit of freestyle, hit some jumps, and a small amount of rails. I am an intermediate rider. I currently have a 157 nitro, and the size seems right, but it was a bit short for powder runs. Is the 158 going to be too big to spin on? Is the custom X to stiff? I really don't know what to do. I like the look of the 156's alot better. The X is lighter, but has more of a setback than the custom, making switch more difficult. Also will Rome 390's with the converter plate bolt up to these boards okay? Does anyone know how these boards will compare flex wise to a MFM team nitro 157? Any help is appreciated.
mesomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
neosuke

I hear that if you hit up terrains and parks custom would be better overall. Seems that the custom X is more of a freeride board than anything. Go with the 156 if you want something easier to spin on - plus you didn't list that you ride much powder, more of a reason to get the custom.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I go on one or two powder trips a year. I just don't want to sink into the stuff. Also I don't want the board to wash out on the groomed runs, so I worry about getting the 156 and it being too short. Any other opinions welcomed.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i dont think that the length of teh board makes much of a difference if you are worried about washing out. i would go with the 156
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the rome 390's will bolt up correctly to a custom using the converter plates?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

im pretty sure anybinding will work with a burton board if you get the 3 hole plates from burton.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

So you think that the burton plates will be the same outside diameter and tooth count as the rome 390's base plate?
I thought that they would probably not fit and I would need to get the converter plates for the romes.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i always thought that all base plates had a universal size. so they should work. maybe somebody could clafify this?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was thinking that the custom 156 would be a little soft for me since I weigh 180 and its max is 170. Should I get a custom x 156, its max weight is 175 and it has a bit longer running length. Would the x be too stiff? Would the 156 be too soft? Also the set back for the x is more than the custom, is this going to affect riding switch alot? I really like the x and how it is light, but I am worried about the stiffness.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, 390s work fine with the Custom. I have 390s on my Custom 162. I'm 200# for reference. Why not look at the Custom 158? it seems about right for your size.

As for the X, it's a much stiffer freeride board. If you are doing any rails at all, you're better off with the Custom. The X would be find for big jumps and the pipe, but much else in the park, and you'd probably be happier on a softer board.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote