begineer...need help finding a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default begineer...need help finding a board

i just got into snowboarding this past season.....already hooked. right now i'm trying to find some good gear in the off season for cheap for next season. i'm not too knowledgable on boards brands though. the only brand i know is burton. i need a big foot riders board, but i also want a twin directional board so i can get used to riding with both feet. i'm actually goofey footed too. i was lookin at burton's park boards, but the only big foot one i see isn't twin directional, any advice?
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
NickNorth11

I was looking for a wide freestyle board up until this morning, when I finally bought one, but I made a list of what I considered good boards, boards to consider and boards that aren't good. (This is relative and subjective, obviously). Anyway, here is the list I made:

Good boards:
Rome Slash: twin
Nitro Team wide: directional
Nitro MFM wide: directional
Nitro Misfit wide: twin
Rome Machine: twin
Forum Youngblood: twin

Others to consider:
K2 Afterblack: twin
Forum Bully: slight directional
Forum Darkness: twin

Donít get:
Rome Flag
Option Franchise
Flow Diskord
Ride Fleetwood
Ride Kink
Ride Decade
Forum Lander
Burton Custom wide

I was heavily leaning toward the Rome Slash and Nitro Misfit. I ended up getting the Slash because I found a killer deal on it this morning, ($248 shipped). (check out activemailorder.com if you're interested).

You should do your own research on these to see what is best for you. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

There are plenty of post about boards, just read some threads and you learn a lot. Other brands that you get more for the money are Rome, Ride, Forum, Atomic, NeverSummer, Arbor, Gnu and Lib Tech.

Those are all good brands, I just bought Rome board and bindings and I am very happy with the quality of the product. If am correct this is a good Rome board for big feet Rome Slash Snowboard | Rome Snowboard Design Syndicate 2008. My feet are not exactly small but I have always ridden on smaller thiner boards and never had a problem, maybe in the future when I get better I will run into problems.

Look into Rome, Ride and Forum, you get much better product for your cash than Burton.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNorth11 View Post
I was looking for a wide freestyle board up until this morning, when I finally bought one, but I made a list of what I considered good boards, boards to consider and boards that aren't good. (This is relative and subjective, obviously). Anyway, here is the list I made:

Good boards:
Rome Slash: twin
Nitro Team wide: directional
Nitro MFM wide: directional
Nitro Misfit wide: twin
Rome Machine: twin
Forum Youngblood: twin

Others to consider:
K2 Afterblack: twin
Forum Bully: slight directional
Forum Darkness: twin

Donít get:
Rome Flag
Option Franchise
Flow Diskord
Ride Fleetwood
Ride Kink
Ride Decade
Forum Lander
Burton Custom wide

I was heavily leaning toward the Rome Slash and Nitro Misfit. I ended up getting the Slash because I found a killer deal on it this morning, ($248 shipped). (check out activemailorder.com if you're interested).

You should do your own research on these to see what is best for you. Good luck.
Can you provide a little insight into what criteria you used to make these lists? I'm curious why certain boards ended up on your "don't get" list.
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
NickNorth11

Waist width (some were barely wider than regular boards), aptitude in freestyle riding (taking pop0ability and flexibility into consideration and finally value. I was looking for a board to suit me specifically, so this list is not for everyone. It is basically a run-down of many of the wide boards on the market, not much else.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNorth11 View Post
Waist width (some were barely wider than regular boards), aptitude in freestyle riding (taking pop0ability and flexibility into consideration and finally value. I was looking for a board to suit me specifically, so this list is not for everyone. It is basically a run-down of many of the wide boards on the market, not much else.
Gotcha.

What specifically made you discount the Option Franchise and Custom Wide?
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
i was lookin at burton's park boards, but the only big foot one i see isn't twin directional, any advice?
So are you looking specifically for a park board? Also, you don't need a directional twin if you want to ride switch. You can ride switch on any type of freestyle, freeride, or all mountain board. The difference between true twin, directional twin, and directional is more about how you want to use it. If you plan on riding a lot of park, get a true twin or directional twin.

I just bought a wide board but not sure what you are looking for so I can't help much.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
NickNorth11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostpaint View Post
What specifically made you discount the Option Franchise and Custom Wide?
Waist width (franchise), and price (c.w.). The c.w. wasn't much more than some others as far as retail was concerned, but I couldn't find comparable deals on it relative to other brands. i.e. I ended up getting a Rome Slash (retail $470) for $249 shipped. (I'm a bargain shopper)!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

well seeing i'm a begineer, i dont think ill be at the park soon. maybe a few small jumps here and there and then work my way up. so i'm thinking maybe i should just get a directional. all the boards yall have been givin me have great rviews, but the stats are leaning towards park and jobbing and not so good on mountain. any boards yall can think of off the top of your heads? if was looking at the forum darkness tho, how do you think that would work out for me? i do eventually wanna hit up the park

Last edited by latemp; 04-09-2008 at 01:04 AM.
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
well seeing i'm a begineer, i dont think ill be at the park soon. maybe a few small jumps here and there and then work my way up. so i'm thinking maybe i should just get a directional. all the boards yall have been givin me have great rviews, but the stats are leaning towards park and jobbing and not so good on mountain. any boards yall can think of off the top of your heads? if was looking at the forum darkness tho, how do you think that would work out for me? i do eventually wanna hit up the park
You first post made it sound like you were looking for a park board which is why I think the suggestions leaned towards freestyle boards. However, there are a lot of freestyle boards that are great for all mountain riding, they are just a little more flexible and may not be as good for back country or big mointaing riding...something you won't be doing for a while. So don't feel like you have to stear away from anything called a "freestyle" board; especially if you plan to hit the park sometime soon. Just avoid the supper flexy, street/jib boards because they are really park focused.

Here are a few wide all mountian or freestyle boards (in addition to what was mentioned above) that may be good to look at, but difinately look at all your options:
GNU 11up - This is what I ride. It's freestyle but I use if for everything on the mountain (can come with MTX)
GNU CHB wide - Good allround entry level board (can come with MTX)
Burton Custom wide
Burton King - a little more flex than the custom and more entry level
Rome Flag
Rome Manual - good allround entry level board
Ride Yukon - greet all mountian board...pretty stiff though
Ride fleetwood - good allround entry level board
Nitro Magnum - really wide allmountain board

Last edited by schmitty34; 04-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote