Machete GT or K2 Fastplant... or...? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Machete GT or K2 Fastplant... or...?

Soo.. I've literally read every review, comment, or concern about both of these boards, and have only flexed and had my hands on the GT- also know everything there is to know, tech-wise, about these boards.

GT concerns: a bit stiff, not going to be as playful at lower speeds. lack of float due to micro-cam.
Fastplant concerns: too soft? I don't care for jibbing really, but I've been told this thing charges pretty well, given it is catered towards jibbing.

I am 5'11'' 152lbs
size 9.5-10 boot

I ride all-mtn/ freestyle: I like to ride fast, carve hard, pop of anything and everything, throw 1's and 3's when possible, but also want to have the ability to mess around going a bit slower while playing around with buddies that are not so agressive. I currently have a Proto CT 154 and am just not as stoked on the camber profile (cam-rock-cam). Also have an Arbor Coda 57 from 2 years ago (good board, little chattery at high speeds), Ride Society 57 reg cam (big fan of boards with rocker profiles, but this board ripped). I rode my brothers Machete 55 last season for a day and the rock-flat(or slight cam)-rock profile just makes more sense to me and gives me the stability and play I am looking for. With everything said and done, I also want my next board to have some float, as I live and Utah and get lots of pow (minus last season).

I also cannot make my mind up between a 54-55 and a 57ish.

Any input or insight would be greatly appreciated! I'm also open to other suggestions with similar tech.

Shred on.

Last edited by iNeedPow; 10-23-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: more board background info.
iNeedPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

so why not buy a machete? if you don't want the same as your bro how about a rome mod rocker? same profile as the machete.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get the 54 GT. It sounds built for you. Only other board I would have suggested would have been the Flow Rush but it's the same camber style as the Proto.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 10-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
so why not buy a machete? if you don't want the same as your bro how about a rome mod rocker? same profile as the machete.
The regular machete is a bit narrow for my preference and foot size. They widened the GT just a tad and also bumped it up the tip and tail stiffness to carbon array 5 instead of 3 which I was/am stoked on- a little extra stiffness seemed to be needed after riding the regular machete.

I've actually seriously considered buying the Mod Rocker... I honestly just have been steered away from Rome (for reasons I'm not exactly clear on...), but I like the tech in the Mod Rocker and the 56 blunted seems like a good shape/size/waist width (53). I also just kinda like Ride boards... slight bias.

Any input on the Mod Rocker? Experience Riding it? How does the stiffness compare to the GT? *real feel, not what "they say" on the specs online.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its a bit softer than the GT but a really solid ride. Definitely an awesome board. Another really great option is the 2013 YES Great Dudes. Camrock like the GT but full asym.

Also, buy my things?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Its a bit softer than the GT but a really solid ride. Definitely an awesome board. Another really great option is the 2013 YES Great Dudes. Camrock like the GT but full asym.
Wow, you got me researching that YES board for the last couple hours, ha. Thanks for the further confusion! Looks like a great deck with well thought out tech. Since you have ridden all of these boards (from what it sounds like, correct me if I'm wrong), what is your honest opinion about which one to get, given my riding style. I want equal amounts of float, speed, pop, stability.

My thoughts:
Mod Rocker - great shape with solid grip, I like the 253 waist width and flat with rocker just 5mm outside binding bolts to tip/tail, poplar core (lightest of all probably by a touch), great pop
Machete GT - FASTEST option, most stable/agressive, "teched" out, slightly heavier but not "heavy", probably most pop, least float of them all (minimal rocker) (if it wasn't for this, I'd probably already have one on the way..), graphics=sick
YES - light, ASYM, different then the norm, best float (longest rocker of all with minimal camber between bindings), biggest price tag (*for me)
Fastplant - meh, whatever... seems too park oriented for me, even though comes highly recommended by friends

Last edited by iNeedPow; 10-31-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Get the Machete GT! I have 2012 Machete and has been my best board ever, hands down. I like you love Ride boards also. Git it.
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

THINKING about the Machete GT 54 for charging around, going bigger days, and the Mod Rocker 56 for all around fun on those powder days and harder days..

thoughts? Or should I do 57 GT and 53 Mod..?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would go 54 GT for everything charger day and something completely different for your mess around days. Something in like a 152. Like a Nitro Rook 152, Signal Jake O.E., K2 Fastplant 151, Echelon Franken 152, or a Salomon Sabotage 152.

Also, buy my things?