Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160

I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?
NorskRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where do you ride? I mean, if you're seeing lots of 3'+ days, I'd go 160. If not, the 156 would probably do just fine.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?

Waist is huge... the A-Frame is a 158, the Hovy 156. Can't wait to float.

Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I am going to buy one of these puppies. What is the verdict. I am the same size as the original poster approx 6 feet and 175 pounds. which size hovercraft should I go for fellas?????
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

156. No tail and wide as shit. Get nimble wid it

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
Anyone any ideas?
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
Right on guys/gals! Cheers to you!!
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post

The board has some taper (10-15 mm IIRC), that is going to help it feel faster edge to edge, plus you'll be riding poder on it. I don't care for wide boards on groomers (I have a size 9 boot), but they are great in poder.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.

Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.
The difference between a 56 and 60 is pretty minimal really.