Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13
Default Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160

I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?
NorskRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 6,631
Default

Where do you ride? I mean, if you're seeing lots of 3'+ days, I'd go 160. If not, the 156 would probably do just fine.
__________________
"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?

Waist is huge... the A-Frame is a 158, the Hovy 156. Can't wait to float.



__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 910
Default

I am going to buy one of these puppies. What is the verdict. I am the same size as the original poster approx 6 feet and 175 pounds. which size hovercraft should I go for fellas?????
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Mordor
Posts: 6,543
Default

156. No tail and wide as shit. Get nimble wid it
__________________
Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
Right on guys/gals! Cheers to you!!
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
shralp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
The board has some taper (10-15 mm IIRC), that is going to help it feel faster edge to edge, plus you'll be riding poder on it. I don't care for wide boards on groomers (I have a size 9 boot), but they are great in poder.
__________________
Lounge Easy my friend
shralp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,067
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.
__________________
15 LibTech TRS HP . 15 Gnu Billy Goat . 15 NS Snowtrooper . 15 NS Ripsaw . 13 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite


Official Gear List: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/blo...gear-list.html
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
shralp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.
The difference between a 56 and 60 is pretty minimal really.
__________________
Lounge Easy my friend
shralp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums