Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jones Hovercraft -156 or 160

I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Where do you ride? I mean, if you're seeing lots of 3'+ days, I'd go 160. If not, the 156 would probably do just fine.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
I have decided I need a Hovercraft this year and see it now comes in a 160 as well as the 156. I weigh in at about 85kg (185lbs) 6' and am used to a longer board. I have been using a Nitro Team GW 162 as my all mountain board, and a Lib Tech TRS 157 for groomers.
Everything I read says that the 156 Hovercraft rides like a 170, and if this is really the case the added manoeuvrability of the smaller size makes this an awesome package. I am just slightly worried that the 156 might be a little short on thge bigger stuff. On the flipside if I go for a 160, I would lose the benefit of the 156 in the tight stuff for a bit more float. In all honesty if I was convinced that the 156 would float well enough for me it would be fairly easy.
Anyone any ideas?

Waist is huge... the A-Frame is a 158, the Hovy 156. Can't wait to float.

2015/16 -17- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06 - 181K
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am going to buy one of these puppies. What is the verdict. I am the same size as the original poster approx 6 feet and 175 pounds. which size hovercraft should I go for fellas?????
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
156. No tail and wide as shit. Get nimble wid it

Snowboarding Is...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskRider View Post
Anyone any ideas?
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
If you have read any of my post, you know I typically suggest longer boards than most people - however in this case I suggest the 156. From what I've ride the Hovercraft is wide (slower edge to edge), stiff with a super shallow sidecut at 9.3m for the 156 (doesn't like to make tight turns). All of that says a 160 is not going to be very maneuverable (again I almost never say this about boards... even the Rad Air Tanker 172cm I used to ride).

If you go to the Jone website... you will see that even the 152 is rated up to 220 lbs, so I think you'll be fine on the 156.
Right on guys/gals! Cheers to you!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post

The board has some taper (10-15 mm IIRC), that is going to help it feel faster edge to edge, plus you'll be riding poder on it. I don't care for wide boards on groomers (I have a size 9 boot), but they are great in poder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.

16 Gnu Swallow Tail Carver . 16 NS West . 15 NS Snowtrooper BIA
16 Burton Genesis X . 15 Now Drive
16 Flow Talon . 14 Flow Hylite
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Now that Jones is on their...what, 3rd year? I'm still bummed to see they haven't come out with something in between like a 158.
The difference between a 56 and 60 is pretty minimal really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode