All mountain/powder friendly board - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which board do you think I should get?
K2-Ultra Dream 21 32.31%
Salomon-Sick Stick 10 15.38%
Yes-Pick Your Line 34 52.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHeagz View Post
Now that I've made the tough decision of which board I'm going w/ Yes has made it a little more complicated by having a 161, 161W and 164W. I feel like I should be going with a 164 regular width, but they don't make it. As a reminder, I'm 6'2, 195 lbs, size 10 boot. I'm leaning towards the 161W, but after looking at their website and seeing that the running length is only 116 CMs vs my Trice's 124.5 CM, I'm thinking that i should be considering the 164 eventhough it is a touch wide for my feet. Also reading that the PYL is more medium flex, which would rule out the 161 regular. Would love to hear your thoughts on pros/cons or anything I should be considering.
No thoughts? Would be much appreciated...
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Now that I've made the tough decision of which board I'm going w/ Yes has made it a little more complicated by having a 161, 161W and 164W. I feel like I should be going with a 164 regular width, but they don't make it. As a reminder, I'm 6'2, 195 lbs, size 10 boot. I'm leaning towards the 161W, but after looking at their website and seeing that the running length is only 116 CMs vs my Trice's 124.5 CM, I'm thinking that i should be considering the 164 eventhough it is a touch wide for my feet. Also reading that the PYL is more medium flex, which would rule out the 161 regular. Would love to hear your thoughts on pros/cons or anything I should be considering.
Why do you feel like you need a Wide for a size 10?
BFBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBF View Post
Why do you feel like you need a Wide for a size 10?
I don't, that's the problem, but they aren't making a 164 regular. Only 161, 161W and 164W. I'm concerned that the 161 may be a little too short/soft for me, but that the 164W would be unnecessarily wide. Since I'm looking to do mostly back/sidecountry riding on pow days, I'm probably just over thinking this and should go with the 164W. Just wanted to hear other informed opinions. I currently ride the TRice 161.5, which is on the wider side and this isn't too much wider.

Last edited by JHeagz; 11-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

BTW, boots may be 10.5, but are currently being adjusted, so I'm not exactly sure.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't, that's the problem, but they aren't making a 164 regular. Only 161, 161W and 164W. I'm concerned that the 161 may be a little too short/soft for me, but that the 164W would be unnecessarily wide. Since I'm looking to do mostly back/sidecountry riding on pow days, I'm probably just over thinking this and should go with the 164W. Just wanted to hear other informed opinions. I currently ride the TRice 161.5, which is on the wider side and this isn't too much wider.
Have you considered the Rossi Experience 163

Nothing soft about that deck (I own)..

Or what about the K2 peacekeeper I think it comes in a 165

Last edited by BFBF; 11-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I personally ruled it out b/c for purely aethetic reasons...I don't really love the look of the hempbrain topsheet they use. While look/feel may be the 6th/7th consideration on the list, I want to be stoked about whatever decision I make. I actually think the Ultra Dream is a sick looking board, but after doing more research I think the PYL is the more appropriate board for me. After reading some comments about sketchy edgehold on the UD, I just didn't feel like it was the board for me, b/c I find myself looking down over some stuff that I'd rather not slide over pretty often (think A-Z chutes in Big Sky)
LOL. To each their own, but I rarely give two shietz about how a board looks - I care more about performance and comfort with my style of riding.

Just curious but have you seen videos of Jake Blauvelt shredding up backcountry pow on his Ride Berzerker? It might make you change your mind about Ride boards in general (I'm guessing by your comments you're looking at "higher" end, premium boards....), with the Slackcountry being their top of the line powder board. Check out the vid below - so sick!

http://youtu.be/D-fNOKhGED8
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #37 (permalink)

Theres actually a peacekeeper 165 on ebay right now for 420$.
It's used but judging by the pics it looks mint.

2013 Used K2 Peacekeeper 165 Snowboard Brand New $600 Tweekend BC Shaping | eBay
Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Seems like most of the people that reviewed the PYL got their hands on it late last season when companies were promoting their up coming lines. One shop near me has a 159, but I've been waiting for the rest of the boards to come into stock. The damn hurricane delayed things by a week, but supposed to be in stock by next weekend. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those boards based on the research I've done, but I ended up steering away from the K2 b/c it seemed like it may have trouble if you're really charging or not in the most ideal snow conditions. Also, I haven't ridden anything besides a Mervin's board in a long time, so I wanted to try something new out. Otherwise, I'd probably be considering the Lando pretty seriously.
Yeah I have had a Gnu Danny Kass and a Never Summer Evo, but want a sick powder freestyle board. So the YES. was top on my list. The Ride Berzerker and Slackcountry seem pretty BA too. If the Yes. takes to long to get in stock, I may cop a Lib this season. Pretty funny when I am settling with a Lib. lol
J pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
LOL. To each their own, but I rarely give two shietz about how a board looks - I care more about performance and comfort with my style of riding.

Just curious but have you seen videos of Jake Blauvelt shredding up backcountry pow on his Ride Berzerker? It might make you change your mind about Ride boards in general (I'm guessing by your comments you're looking at "higher" end, premium boards....), with the Slackcountry being their top of the line powder board. Check out the vid below - so sick!

Jake Blauvelt Naturally Full Part - YouTube
Ha! Yeah, I didn't mean to give the impression that looks were very important, but if I have more than one option that make sense for me it will be a tie breaker. That video was redic...I don't think I've ever seen that much untracked powder before.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, I didn't mean to give the impression that looks were very important, but if I have more than one option that make sense for me it will be a tie breaker. That video was redic...I don't think I've ever seen that much untracked powder before.
Yup. Insane.

I was going to pickup a BerZerker but I already have a Highlife, which is my favorite board in the world and what Jake used to use before Ride gave him his very own board (the Berzerker). They are similar boards.
Wangta is offline   Reply With Quote