Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   All mountain/powder friendly board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/50530-all-mountain-powder-friendly-board.html)

JHeagz 10-23-2012 06:04 PM

All mountain/powder friendly board

I'm looking to add a powder-friendly board to my quiver...I currently have a T-rice from two seasons ago that I love for most conditions, but find it tough to float in powder. I don't want anything too directional and I'm not a huge fan of serious reverse camber (too slippery/no pop). Right now the front runner for me is the K2-Ultra Dream, b/c I really like the BCS shaping, the camber combo and look of the board, but I've seen great reviews for the Salomon-Sick Stick and Yes-Pick your line. Anyone out there ridden any of these boards that feels strongly either way? Keep in mind I'll probably ride my T-Rice on days w/o fresh, so the edge grip isn't really too much a concern for me and will most likely be taking this in the side/backcountry.

Thanks so much!

Supra 10-23-2012 07:53 PM

you mentioned the camber combo on the ultra dream...it's allterrain rocker which is flat with rockered tips, so no camber.

I voted for it by the way. I demo'd it last year and liked it. It's a board I would consider buying.
Otherwise, I'd say look at the Burton Sherlock (no B boards in your poll so maybe you don't like them. If so, skip the next bit). I normally ride a 162-164 for the deep pow we have here in Japan, however last year I went with a 160 sherlock with a centered stance...and it floated like mad. I was fine on a 65cm day! The flying v camber is super fun in the pow. This year I stepped up to the 163 and I will be testing it to see how it does in real gnar situations. I'll also be testing the k2 panoramic, which has the same allterrain rocker as the ultra dream, so I'll be able to comment more during the season...unfortunately that doesn't help you much now.

So anyways, I say ultra dream.

JHeagz 10-23-2012 08:13 PM

Thanks for the response...I really appreciate the insight. I said camber combo more as a catch all. I'd say my mind is like 90% made up, but wanted to see if anyone had any really strong opinions for the other boards. Have fun shredding that Japanese pow. I hope I get out there at some point.

JHeagz 10-23-2012 09:21 PM

Anyone want to elaborate on why they like the Yes so much? Especially interested in anyone's thoughts that got to demo the Ultra Deam and Pick your line.

jamesdthomas2 10-23-2012 10:21 PM

JHeag,

I know you don't want to hear this but, I have a Sherlock 157 as well and it rides powder extremely well. Sorry, I don't know about the other boards. Maybe you could look for them at a demo day.

ShredLife 10-23-2012 10:43 PM

i don't really understand if you're getting a quiver board to ride pow with why you wouldn't want it to be directional...

i ride a Heritage most of the time (similar board to your rice) and this year when i was able to add a pow board i jumped on a deal for a Jones Hovercraft (very directional).

if its a foot or less i'll still be on the heritage - i can charge the fuck out of that board and knock down all the tracked out chundery bullshit and ride pow and ride switch and hit jumps and boxes and trees and children and all that good stuff.

if its 14"+ i'll ride the pow board and i only care about going switch for like 20-30ft at a time and any board can do that :dunno:

do you really ride that much switch in the POW?

Supra 10-23-2012 11:14 PM

I was in a 'directional for pow' camp until I got the Sherlock, and woah, last season my freestyle game went through the roof. Every drop & feature just got a bigger menu of tricks to choose from. Before it was : straight air or grab, now it's 180's, 3's, butter 3's plus all the grabs. Sure, it's mostly mental but for me it made a huge difference riding pow centrered on a twin

ShredLife 10-23-2012 11:25 PM

well i can already do all that stuff :laugh:

and like i said - i ride a Heritage most of the time and have no problem riding it anywhere switch

i'm just saying if its building a quiver you're into - have some variety.

my hovercraft is a splitboard too :D

Supra 10-23-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShredLife (Post 530450)
i'm just saying if its building a quiver you're into - have some variety.

no arguments from me on this point!

Lamps 10-24-2012 05:44 AM

Powder friendly or powder specific?