Howdy! Never Summer Legacy 2012?'s - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Howdy! Never Summer Legacy 2012?'s

Hi,

First post here. I am 34 years old 5'8" 205lbs with a stocky build. I wear size 10.5 DC Status boots which I just got. Used to ride a lot in tahoe about 12 years ago and was a liftie at northstar. Moved to vegas for 10 years and am now back in norcal. Planning on boarding a lot this winter. I would consider my self an intermediate to advanced rider back then but don't know about now. Any way I am looking for a all mountain board. Prefer powder and groomers and will be in the park the least amount of time maybe a couple of runs through a day. I found a great deal on a new 2012 Never Summer Legacy and it looks like what I am looking for based on my riding preference and style. It is a 156 and has a waist width of 261. My question is will this be too wide for size 10.5 boots? Will I be too heavy for a 156? I have a price limit of $350-$400. Will this board be my best bet at this price range? Previous board was a 2002 burton custom 156 and I only weighed 180lbs then. I liked it except it was too narrow.

Last edited by JENKS; 10-24-2012 at 10:59 PM.
JENKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Bro.. You are about the same stats as me weight wise. I rode a 155 NS SL and Evo. I got rid of the SL because in my opinion was too small and ended up going with a 158 Proto. Haven't ridden it yet so I can't compare the difference yet. As far as your boot size I dont think you will have a problem. I had a 10 on mine (back before I wised up and got the right size) and had no problems.
sleev-les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

This board will be too short for you and too narrow. I ride a legacy 166 and I weigh 215 lbs. I also where a size 14 boot. A wide is completely unnecessary with a 10.5 boot.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the 2012 NS Legacy. I'm 6'1'', size 12 boot and weigh 225 lbs, stocky build. My board is 163. My boots are just shy of the board edges, i never get heel or toe drag. The NS Legacy is a mid-wide board so the width will not be a problem, though you may want to go longer.

My rides
2012 NS Legacy 163.
2013 NS Brothers in Arms Cobra 163.
DirtyD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD27 View Post
I have the 2012 NS Legacy. I'm 6'1'', size 12 boot and weigh 225 lbs, stocky build. My board is 163. My boots are just shy of the board edges, i never get heel or toe drag. The NS Legacy is a mid-wide board so the width will not be a problem, though you may want to go longer.
Your board is way too wide if your boots are are "just shy of the board edges"...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
This board will be too short for you and too narrow. I ride a legacy 166 and I weigh 215 lbs. I also where a size 14 boot. A wide is completely unnecessary with a 10.5 boot.
I think you meant to say in your first sentence that the board is too wide for him/his 10.5 foot.
If so, I completely agree with that - he should go for the SL, not the Legacy. Also agree on size - at least the 158 for him.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys! I dont know why never summer calls this a midwide but seems to be on the large side for waist width on a board thats not a regular wide. They do state on their web site that its meant for a size 9.5 and up boot. As far as length i read some where that you can drop down a couple lengths if your short but heavy. Dont remember where i saw that now. Is that not correct? The problem with going with a longer board is id be looking at a jump from $356 shipped to $450 plus.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENKS View Post
Thanks for the responses guys! I dont know why never summer calls this a midwide but seems to be on the large side for waist width on a board thats not a regular wide. They do state on their web site that its meant for a size 9.5 and up boot. As far as length i read some where that you can drop down a couple lengths if your short but heavy. Dont remember where i saw that now. Is that not correct? The problem with going with a longer board is id be looking at a jump from $356 shipped to $450 plus.
Where is the statement on the Legacy being for 'size 9.5 and up boot'? The marketing materials generally seem to say the wides are for size 12 and up.

On the other points:
  • You can consider going down one size, as you might have less leverage to manipulate the board with shorter legs (and probably narrower stance width), but otherwise height should not really affect your board size. In any case the 156 is definitely too short.
  • Cash is consideration for many people, but $100 extra for a proper size board does not sound like much - especially if it means getting the proper width (i.e., SL).
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Where is the statement on the Legacy being for 'size 9.5 and up boot'? The marketing materials generally seem to say the wides are for size 12 and up.

On the other points:
  • You can consider going down one size, as you might have less leverage to manipulate the board with shorter legs (and probably narrower stance width), but otherwise height should not really affect your board size. In any case the 156 is definitely too short.
  • Cash is consideration for many people, but $100 extra for a proper size board does not sound like much - especially if it means getting the proper width (i.e., SL).
Sorry about that you are correct sir. I have looked at so many sites trying to learn more about this board I got mixed up. Here's the link I found that info at which is also the site I found the screaming deal: Never Summer Legacy Snowboard 2012 by NEVER SUMMER
So maybe a 158 is what I need? Unfortunately they only have size 156 in white or black and the next size up is 170 plus which is way bigger than I would care to ride.

Last edited by JENKS; 10-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Would a 159 raptor suit my riding preference and size? Or should I try to find a heritage or SL?

Last edited by JENKS; 10-24-2012 at 11:05 PM.