Younger brother's setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Younger brother's setup

So I've got a brother who's now 14 and wanting to get more serious. I've brought him up a couple times over the last few years but now he's finally going to buy a setup instead of rent.

Any suggestions for a smaller kid (5'6" probably 105-115 lbs?

Also, I know my dad is pushing for him to upsize so it lasts for more than a season. Is that a mistake? Would it be better to buy a cheaper board that fits him?

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate any input.
klbeardsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

If he's likely to grow significantly in the next couple years, then I'd be tempted to buy a used board and bindings, and new boots.

For what it's worth the board I got when I was 14 was too long for me, I rode it and rode it and finally got a new one 15 years later. Though I'm the obvious exception to the rule!

No idea if he'll get any taller, but he's likely to get significantly heavier in the next few years meaning he'll need a longer board.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbeardsley View Post
Also, I know my dad is pushing for him to upsize so it lasts for more than a season. Is that a mistake? Would it be better to buy a cheaper board that fits him?
In terms of boots, absolute horror show. In terms of board, you can maybe get away with a couple of cm, but too long a board is harder to control and increases frustration. Go cheaper board instead (or used). He won't notice the difference until he's good enough to notice the difference, then you get him a better and bigger board.

Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead,
the rest bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm
a private eye.
-- Calvin
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
If he's likely to grow significantly in the next couple years, then I'd be tempted to buy a used board and bindings, and new boots.

For what it's worth the board I got when I was 14 was too long for me, I rode it and rode it and finally got a new one 15 years later. Though I'm the obvious exception to the rule!

No idea if he'll get any taller, but he's likely to get significantly heavier in the next few years meaning he'll need a longer board.
and look at that - he's still riding boards that are too long...

but seriously, both my kids are riding boards that are too 5+ cm too long for them and they are doing just fine, both of them went from never ever snowboarded at Xmas last year to being comfortable on blue runs by end of the season and they'll grow into their boards over time

boots however should be bought the right size, not oversized

Last edited by Lamps; 10-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
In terms of boots, absolute horror show. In terms of board, you can maybe get away with a couple of cm.

Ok that'll be a good argument/compromise to bring to the table.

I remember buying shoes with my dad at a young age and if he's still the same (which I know he is) he'll be pushing for clown sized boots for him too.

I know it won't matter significantly as far as type of board. But is there a standard beginning type of board? Like say 'a flexier board is easier to start on' for example.. anything along those lines?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
and look at that - he's still riding boards that are too long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbeardsley View Post
I remember buying shoes with my dad at a young age and if he's still the same (which I know he is) he'll be pushing for clown sized boots for him too.

I know it won't matter significantly as far as type of board. But is there a standard beginning type of board? Like say 'a flexier board is easier to start on' for example.. anything along those lines?
Do everything in your power to change his opinion on number 1.

Answers to number 2 are useless if he doesn't follow number 1.

Yeah, boots have to fit. If he has to buy new boots every year while growing, so be it, they're a game changer. I learned on hiking boots so I can honestly say it isn't the right way! Nothing wrong with buying cheaper boots as long as they fit right... A pair of $99 every year is MUCH better than $200 poor fitting boots every two years.

Lots will voice their thoughts on your second question. Generally I suggest a mid-flex board, that's twin tip, preferably directional flex to help them with learning to carve. A lot of people will say a flat, rocker, or relaxed camber board is better for learning, more forgiving, etc. I'm of the other camp, I believe in learning the fundamentals on a camber board. Sure it's tougher until you learn good edge control, but edge control is so paramount to good snowboarding that I'm not crazy about the idea of taking it easy. Sort of makes me think of training wheels...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm strongly in favour of cambered boards for beginners too, both my kids at 7 and 10 years old got cambered boards to start. Better that they catch edges at slow speed on shallow hills and learn precision there. The older kid really took off last season so at the end of the year I got her a hybrid shape.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
I'm strongly in favour of cambered boards for beginners too, both my kids at 7 and 10 years old got cambered boards to start. Better that they catch edges at slow speed on shallow hills and learn precision there. The older kid really took off last season so at the end of the year I got her a hybrid shape.
Yeah, my GF is a bit clumsy at times, less than athletic, and gets discouraged easy. Perfect candidate for an easy board right?

Nope we got her a K2 Luna cambered board, she cursed for the first couple days, got angry, asked me why she couldn't figure it out, etc. Then she figured it out and now she flies. Demo'd some alternative boards (flying v and full rocker) and she said she couldn't be happier getting back onto her camber.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm strongly in favour of cambered boards for beginners too.
Interesting I like that thought process. I'll probably push for a cambered board for him..

I'm actually buying my first cambered board this year too!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

well im 15 if this help my first board only costed me about 150 dollars it was a 5150 and i got really good Burton mission 2012 bindings and i bought my boots an extra size up and now im all set my boots fit perfect same bindings ( that i will try to get at least 2 more years out of..) but i bought a Rome Reverb cuz im pretty sure im ready for an intermediate board so i highly recommend u do what i did for your younger bro.

Last edited by ankkassa; 10-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.
ankkassa is offline   Reply With Quote