Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   what size board do i get? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/5062-what-size-board-do-i-get.html)

latemp 04-07-2008 11:37 AM

what size board do i get?
 
i'm bout to invest in my 1st snowboard. i've been looking into wide freestyle boards because i want a twin tip so i can learn to use both feet and i wear a size 12. i am about 5'11 and weigh about 185. i've been looking at a lot of charts that put me right around a 160 or somewhere around that size, but i've also seen that on some introduction sites they say freestyle boards generally size down a little bit. so around what size do yall think i need? i've been seeing a lot of discount sites because its off season so been looking at k2, nitro, rome and forum boards. so far people have told me to stay away from the burton wide freestlye ones. what do yal think?

NickNorth11 04-07-2008 12:24 PM

It's hard to specify a size w/o knowing the exact board you're looking at. Yes, for freestyle you would typically get a slightly shorter board, but you want to make sure you're w/i the perameters of the board you're looking at.

sedition 04-07-2008 01:30 PM

Burton makes great boards. There is no real reason to stay away from them. People just say that because it's "cool" to bash the Nike of the snowboard world.

As for size, it depends on the manufacture. Look at their suggested weight ranges for a given deck, and that will give you guidelines. They vary from company to company. Thus while Brand X may say your in the 150-155 range, Brand Y may say 155-160.

NickNorth11 04-07-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 46817)
Burton makes great boards. There is no real reason to stay away from them. People just say that because it's "cool" to bash the Nike of the snowboard world.

I disagree! Check the prices of a burton board and a comparable board of a different brand and you'll see why people bash burton. I've also seen posts about burton having a higher rate of factory fuck-ups and posts about noobs being burtoned out from head to toe cuz that's what's cool. (We all know that's true, too). Personally, I'd buy burton gear just as quickly as I'd buy anything else if the price was right, but, unfortunately, it never is.

Who the hell bashes Nike anyway?

sedition 04-07-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickNorth11 (Post 46821)
I disagree! Check the prices of a burton board and a comparable board of a different brand and you'll see why people bash burton.

Not quite. If you ACTUALLY do the research, you'll see that people making this claim have no basis for it, and normally are just repeating the same misinformation they have heard from other people. Since you apprentlly have not done the rsearch, I have done it for you. Please read post #4 of this thread and then come back and talk to me about the matter.

Quote:

I've also seen posts about burton having a higher rate of factory fuck-ups
I have seen posts that claim Bush is a great president, too. If you can provided substantial and verifiable evidnece of your claim, then I will believe you. Until then, I'll believe what I have seen with my own eyes. And that has been very few people having issues with their boards. Also, since Burton has such % of the market, it would make perfect sense that you would hear more about their boards having issues than someone like Never Summer, for the simple reason that a VAST number of more poeople actully own Burton decks than Never Summer (or Stepchild, Santa Cruz, Sims, Rome, etc)

Quote:

and posts about noobs being burtoned out from head to toe cuz that's what's cool.
Right. And we all know that just because a mere "noob" is decked out in Burton gear, then that is the only reason the "cool" kids should not consider Burton products.

Quote:

Who the hell bashes Nike anyway?
Almost everyone that has a problem with large corporations doing bad things. Try using The Google. You'll find lots.

NickNorth11 04-07-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 46824)
Not quite. If you ACTUALLY do the research, you'll see that people making this claim have no basis for it, and normally are just repeating the same misinformation they have heard from other people. Since you apprentlly have not done the rsearch, I have done it for you. Please read post #4 of this thread and then come back and talk to me about the matter.

First, don't be a dick. Their gear is expensive as hell. Go to burton's website and look at the first outerwear setup on the page. Pants + jacket = $1100, the second setup is $850, the third is $670, etc.


Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 46824)
Also, since Burton has such % of the market, it would make perfect sense that you would hear more about their boards having issues than someone like Never Summer, for the simple reason that a VAST number of more poeople actully own Burton decks than Never Summer (or Stepchild, Santa Cruz, Sims, Rome, etc)

I posted what I saw here in other posts, so I can't substantiate it. However, I didn't mean to imply they had a higher percentage of manufacturer defects of the total market, but rather per capita.


Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 46824)
Right. And we all know that just because a mere "noob" is decked out in Burton gear, then that is the only reason the "cool" kids should not consider Burton products.

Fair, but we all have our preferences. I already said I would buy burton if the price was right, but it never is.


Quote:

Originally Posted by sedition (Post 46824)
Almost everyone that has a problem with large corporations doing bad things. Try using The Google. You'll find lots.

Well, like I said, we all have our preferences, but I've yet to hear of anyone voicing anything negative about Nike.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2