First Time Poster-trying not to start a riot... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was also considering the TRS, I have a GNU and can attest to the magnatraction

If you are down with a NS, sounds like you would be better off with a SL or possibly even a Proto

I still ride flows and would say they have the edge over the GNU
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

The Heritage is an amazing board and perfect for what you're looking for. It goes really fast, is damp but still capable of a bit of freestyle. The TRS and the SL that have been recommended here are also great but a bit more freestyle oriented. You would have to sacrifice stability and speed with those other options and that only makes sense if you plan on jumping lots (which the Heritage can do just fine). At your weight I would size up a bit though and go with the 160. And don't worry about having to concentrate all the time on a Heritage. I used to own one and it cruised just fine.

Also, forget GNU bindings. They are terrible compared to Flows. If you really want rear entry, go with Flow.

Have fun shredding!

Last edited by Basti; 10-28-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Okay guys, I picked up a 159 TRS with the black/orange gnu mutant bindings. I got $100 off of the board and $20 off the bindings so all in with board/bindings/boots I paid $950. I may switch bindings to flow but most reviews for this years flows have been less than stellar. Any thoughts on the new flow nx2 gt?

Should I try and find a pair from last year, nxt-at? Found a pair for $200.

Last edited by CovetFile; 10-28-2012 at 05:52 PM.
CovetFile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Don't worry about those Gnu binders, they work great. We used to be a Flow dealer, picked up Gnu binders a few years ago and put them in the demo program. The positive response we get from people who try the Mutants is very real. As a result of letting people ride both before they buy we stopped being able to sell Flows, we dropped Flow. We sell more Gnus every year than we ever sold Flows and are usually sold out by Feb. We never drank the Cinch punch, they haven't gotten any love from our product testing team.

This is just the response we get in our shop, other shops have different experiences.
P3 Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sintered over tnt base.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3 Mammoth View Post
Don't worry about those Gnu binders, they work great. We used to be a Flow dealer, picked up Gnu binders a few years ago and put them in the demo program. The positive response we get from people who try the Mutants is very real. As a result of letting people ride both before they buy we stopped being able to sell Flows, we dropped Flow. We sell more Gnus every year than we ever sold Flows and are usually sold out by Feb. We never drank the Cinch punch, they haven't gotten any love from our product testing team.

This is just the response we get in our shop, other shops have different experiences.
We sell Flow, Gnu and Roxy rear entry bindings. They all have, and are, stoking riders with great products. These brands have taken big steps forward (again) this year. It is hard not to think that this area of bindings is undergoing more development and refinement then conventional bindings.

The NX2's this year have added cant, full sized ratchets (fully releasable for conventional front entry), ratchet locks, NASTY, One disc that fits 4 hole, Burton 3, and Burton Channel, ToeCap Strap (some models). While the production models have not yet been ridden or reviewed by anyone that I am aware of, the in store reviews on fit are off the charts.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 10-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

FWIW, I love Lib Tech boards. I think magne traction is one of the best new technologies that has been released, especially if you're riding on the east coast where the snow conditions are less than ideal. I haven't ridden the TRS since the 2009 model which was BTX and thought it was a fun/surfy ride and a little softer than my current board. Sounds like it is too late, but I was going to recommend you check out the Lib Tech-Lando Phoenix since you said you're looking for more all mountain board, though it may be a little better in powder than groomers.
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Below is a pic of the setup, might do a bit more research on the gnu bindings but I think I am going to stick with them and if I just hate them then sell them back to my local store and stick the cartels on the board. Thanks!

Snowboard.jpg
CovetFile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

I was going to recommend the Gnu Mutants over the Flows. I tried both the Flows and the Gnu's last year. The Flow's didn't fit my boot as well and I wasn't happy with the toe cap. The Gnu's fit me like a glove. Putting the bindings on a board and flexing my head I could really tell the difference between the Flow's and Gnu's. Comfort and perceived control led me to the Gnu's. I haven't had a reason to regret the decision.

Like you, I'm a beginner/intermediate all mountain rider who rides with an expert skier. Getting in my board quickly was a priority when I made the switch from skiing to snowboarding last year.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle4Fun View Post
I tried both the Flows and the Gnu's last year. The Flow's didn't fit my boot as well and I wasn't happy with the toe cap.
Which Flow bindings were you able to try last year with the toe cap?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote