First Time Poster-trying not to start a riot... - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Which Flow bindings were you able to try last year with the toe cap?
I don't remember much since it was a year ago, but what I do remember is that they didn't so much have a "cap" as it had the lower part of the strap going nearly over your toe region. Looking at Flow's current line-up I want to say they were the Flight 2s. Though even the NX2-AT and NX2-RS have the same basic design.

I found that the toe strap on the Gnu's gave me the perceived feeling of better torsional control than the over the toe thingy on the Flow's that were available in the shop. I've never been able to actually demo the Flow's so that in store torsional test feeling is all I had to base a decision on.

It was also easier to get in and out of the Gnu Mutants than the Flows with my boots. That was a secondary, though important part of my decision. As little wait time at the top of the hill is important to my fiance and thus very important to me.

Key things were:
1. Picking my boot
2. Choosing a style of binding (Fast entry so that I can ride w/ no complaints)
3. Trying the available things out in the store
4. Spending the money on quality boots and bindings to last me while buying an entry level board that I sold when I upgraded to a N.S. SL (after demoing many boards) after the season was over.

I'm a big fan of trying things out when it comes to comfort and performance. I'm also a big fan of supporting your local store and the shop owner who knows a hell of a lot more about snowboarding and snowboarding equipment than you.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Cycle4Fun,

A few things to consider.

1. The Gnu Mutant is a terrific binding. It is even better this year with larger more fully releasable ratchets.

2. It is a tricky comparison between a Flow Flight 2 at $149.00 and a Gnu Mutant at $289.00. $140.00 in a binding buys you a lot of extra performance! A nylon baseplate and basic surf strap will not offer nearly the lateral control of aluminum and one of the higher end straps.

3. This is Flow's first year doing a toe cap.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Cycle4Fun,

A few things to consider.

1. The Gnu Mutant is a terrific binding. It is even better this year with larger more fully releasable ratchets.

2. It is a tricky comparison between a Flow Flight 2 at $149.00 and a Gnu Mutant at $289.00. $140.00 in a binding buys you a lot of extra performance! A nylon baseplate and basic surf strap will not offer nearly the lateral control of aluminum and one of the higher end straps.

3. This is Flow's first year doing a toe cap.
I'm not even sure they were Flight 2s. I just remember I didn't like their non-toe cap design and found them harder on entry than the Gnu Mutants. $400 Flow bindings with the same over-all design would still have had the same problems.

I love my Gnu Mutants and have been very happy with my choice. The fiance is very happy that she isn't waiting for me at the top of the hill. She still waits at the bottom, but she did that anyway when I skied too. She's even faster now that she bought a men's high performance all mountain expert ski (Rossi Strato 70 TLDs). She loves me even more after I convinced her to demo them and then buy them. Demo ski price ridden one other time by another expert. Right length for her. Good deal on those babies.

I could straight line it and she'd almost beat me down the mountain. Damn is she fast.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hey...just wanted to say thanks to all the responses. I have yet to make it out on the mountain, but I am about to head up to Snowmass for 16 days so I am sure I will get all the riding in that one can handle over the holidays.

One thing that I keep thinking about with the board is my ability to charge the mountain with the TRS. I have been riding for around 16 years and I like to go FAST...but I also want to hit the back bowls with my family of skiers. Do you think the GNU Billy Goat or GNU Riders Choice might be better for an old guy like me (32 years young).

What is the difference between the TRS and Riders Choice?

As always, any and all advice is appreciated...especially from Snowolf and Wiredsport.
CovetFile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

You sound pretty similar to me in my search. Ride the same as you (maybe a LITTLE bit more bowl/pow hunting) and my wife is an expert skier.

I narrowed to the Lib Lando Phoenix/Jamie Lynn Phoenix, NS Heritage, NS Cobra, Jones Mtn Twin. I ended up going NS Cobra. The TRS (and Riders Choice) was described to me as a little more freestyle oriented. I also DON'T ride swtich (except in sticky situations), so realized a direcitonal board is more for me.

I slapped some Burton Genesis bindings on it (still contemplating Cartels or Flux SF45s).

Yet to hit the mountain, but a buddy of mine (same riding pattern) also got the Cobra and is IN LOVE with it.

So if you are thinking of revisiting it, maybe look at the Phoenix series from Lib.
jchaison is offline   Reply With Quote