Board sizes - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board sizes

hey everyone,

so i just moved to utah from the east coast for the great snow and im getting so stoked for the winter to hit. the only thing is i feel a litte lost in the dark with sizing. back home i was pretty much just riding ice and being a park rat so i stuck with a good old fashioned camber deck, but i definitely want to get into the big mountain freestyle type of riding.

i hear that the snow at the resorts here (snowbird, park city, brighton etc) is generally a light snow. i know for pow you want to size up but i dont want to go so far up as to lose the freestyle, playful aspect of riding.
currently i have a rome reverb (camber) 149 and it rips in the park. i decided after checking out a ton of boards that im going to stick with rome and step up to the agent rocker as my all mountain freestyle/backcountry deck. im about 135 lbs and will usually stay around 130-140 lbs. im 5'6" with a size 9 boot. the binder im going with this year is going to be the burton malavita.

now this board is mainly going to be for all mountain freestyle/backcountry riding. i cant decide between the 151 and 153. i know it may not make much difference at all but like i said i want a good balance and cutting through pow, making quick turns in backcountry lines, and sending it off some natural features and to the park for some bigger kickers. between the light powder in utah and the hybrid camber shaping of the board will a 151 be enough board without relying on being so backseat all the time or do you think it would be wiser to go to the 153?

on a similar matter can anyone describe to me there biases towards the alternate cambers theyre riding and how they are in powder and general riding. im talking specifically about two hybrid cambers: 1. camber in the middle and rockered by the tip and tail (camrock) and rocker between the bindings, camber underfoot, and rocker at the ends (springloaded, mtnpop).

any help would be much appreciated.
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Definitly go 153-55. You will still be able to spin off kickers without loosing the "freestyle" feel. If you're going to be doing BC riding you're going to want the added length for float.

As far as C2/RC vs Camrock. I have had the pleasure to ride all three but really enjoy camber from insert end to insert end and then rock like in the Camrock.

If you're really going to use this for BC only then you should get something with a lot of rock like a K2 gyrator!
djjimmyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

You're a pretty small guy so I would say the 151 would be fine. The 153 might be a little nicer in the pow but I think it'll feel a little long on groomed slopes.

As far as the different cambers go, it's all personal preference. I still ride a traditional camber board, but I've tried the lib tech style with camber under the bindings and rocker between the feet and that felt nice. You'll just have to try different styles and see what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehaus View Post
Snowolf and I have came to an agreement that it was for sure Poutanen's fault. I vote for one year of probation and being forced to ride skis til death.
mrjimyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
tdn
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post
hey everyone,

so i just moved to utah from the east coast for the great snow and im getting so stoked for the winter to hit. the only thing is i feel a litte lost in the dark with sizing. back home i was pretty much just riding ice and being a park rat so i stuck with a good old fashioned camber deck, but i definitely want to get into the big mountain freestyle type of riding.

i hear that the snow at the resorts here (snowbird, park city, brighton etc) is generally a light snow. i know for pow you want to size up but i dont want to go so far up as to lose the freestyle, playful aspect of riding.
currently i have a rome reverb (camber) 149 and it rips in the park. i decided after checking out a ton of boards that im going to stick with rome and step up to the agent rocker as my all mountain freestyle/backcountry deck. im about 135 lbs and will usually stay around 130-140 lbs. im 5'6" with a size 9 boot. the binder im going with this year is going to be the burton malavita.

now this board is mainly going to be for all mountain freestyle/backcountry riding. i cant decide between the 151 and 153. i know it may not make much difference at all but like i said i want a good balance and cutting through pow, making quick turns in backcountry lines, and sending it off some natural features and to the park for some bigger kickers. between the light powder in utah and the hybrid camber shaping of the board will a 151 be enough board without relying on being so backseat all the time or do you think it would be wiser to go to the 153?

on a similar matter can anyone describe to me there biases towards the alternate cambers theyre riding and how they are in powder and general riding. im talking specifically about two hybrid cambers: 1. camber in the middle and rockered by the tip and tail (camrock) and rocker between the bindings, camber underfoot, and rocker at the ends (springloaded, mtnpop).

any help would be much appreciated.
If you're looking at the Rome Agent Rocker I'd go with the 153cm with your stats. Also, if you haven't bought bindings yet I'd personally look at other bindings as I think the Malavitas would be better suited with a softer deck. I'd go with 2012 Cartels (I hear on here that the 13' Cartels have softened up, I haven't check them out yet) or 2013 Rome 390/390 Boss would work really well with what you expect to ride.

Last edited by tdn; 10-28-2012 at 09:12 PM.
tdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm 5'4" 135 and ride a 154 with a rockered nose in deep coastal pow (heavier stuff than what you'll be in). I wouldn't go shorter than that here, but then I'm not riding anything groomed ever. Since you already have a short board that you like for park, I'd go with something that's going to be faster and more fun in the deep stuff. That's what you moved to Utah for, isn't it?
tigre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all mountian freestyle, conditions, rome agent, sizing