Thoughts on my purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on my purchase

Hey all,

This is my second post. My first was in the introduce yourself thread. Anyway, I wanted to get some thoughts. I used to ride and am now getting the whole damn family (two boys, one daughter and the wife involved). Anyway went to the local shop I used to buy from and got set up with some gear. Looking for thoughts as I have been out of the game for a bit, but think I did well.

Me ( looking to do some jibbing but mostly just relaxed riding nothing extreme I'm 5'9 200lbs and losing weight. I will be at about 185 in no time)
Board : Ride Agenda 156
Bindings: Burton Custom M
Boots: Burton Moto BT 10.5

Wife (Looking for some relaxed riding no park maybe some small jumps etc.)
Board : Ride Rapture 143
Bindings : Flow Gem M
Boots : Vans Encore

The wife has been out one time and I am just starting again. I went once last year and decided we needed something to do as a family in the winter months. My sons both love to skate so it was a natural choice for them. Anyway, I can't stand rentals so I went in but kept it semi budgeted.

Plan on some lessons as well. I am going to in order to get the basics down again. Let me know your thoughts....
JoeBuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone? Board to small for what I am looking for ? Etc?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Board size sounds about right for what you're looking to do. You could certainly ride a longer board but if you're looking to do some park and jibs the 56 is a good size. Custom is a pretty popular binding, middle of the road. Moto is a soft-ish boot that will do the trick as well.

Can't speak to the wife's gear, though.

Bottom line is that whatever your shop set you up on is likely 1000% better than any rental gear your going to get, so even if it's not top of the line high-tech new new stuff, you're still going to have a good time on it. Enjoy it!

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Initial thoughts.....

Craigslist can be your friend. Especially when looking to outfit the whole family in gear. Since both you and your wife are just looking for relaxed riding you can really ride 75% of gear available, in my opinion. It's only once you start riding a lot that you'll each find your true "riding styles". At that point it makes sense to find the gear that is most optimized for that.

At this point as long as you're boots are comfortable you'll have a good time. After 20 days out you'll know exactly what is working and what isn't. At this point you can sell off the gear that you didn't love and scoop up some other stuff to try.

Hope that made sense.....
djjimmyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

As long as you're not looking to charge big lines, 156 should be fine and could actually be more fun if you're primarily looking to jib around. If you get into going fast and hitting the steeps, you'll probably want something a little longer. I'm a similar weight to you (195 Lbs) and ride a 161.5 cm board (2010 TRice C2BTX w/ HP) and I'd consider that on the shorter side for what I should be on, but I'm willing to deal with a little shorter effective edge in exchange for quick turning in the trees. I also have magne traction, which I think helps you downsize without losing edge hold in less optimal conditions. Also if you think you're going to be riding deep powder, additional length is helpful. But overall, it sounds like the board should work out great for you and I think it's really awesome that you're getting the whole family out there!
JHeagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. After reading all the "will this board fit me" threads I am second guessing the 156 so I stopped up to the shop and found a Rossi Taipan in 158 midwide. Anyone have any thoughts on this? They have it listed for 279 but will price match and I found it for 125. So Rossi or stick with the ride?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBuer View Post
Thanks everyone. After reading all the "will this board fit me" threads I am second guessing the 156 so I stopped up to the shop and found a Rossi Taipan in 158 midwide. Anyone have any thoughts on this? They have it listed for 279 but will price match and I found it for 125. So Rossi or stick with the ride?
Did you spend more than $125 on your Ride 156? Can you exchange the deck and get some money back? If so then sure, why not grab the Rossi for $125? Use the extra money for some added lessons, a lift ticket from a mountain you don't usually hit or just save it. I wouldn't get too wrapped up with the decision. Ride more and then figure out what you truly want.
djjimmyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I hear ya. Sometimes these forums can be a curse. I was good with the decision but started really thinking about the 156 and see that Ride rates it as follows

156 - 125-175lbs

Do you think me being closer at this point to 200-205 is going to be a problem? Looking to lose weight but will be more likely at about 185-190 by the time riding season comes.

Anyone else over the manufacturer suggested weight? or should I look for a board for my weight based on the manufacturer's suggested weight?

Same for the wife. The calculators online are all different but we went with the medium for what they told both of us.

Am I over thinking this shit at this point?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Anyone else over the manufacturer suggested weight? or should I look for a board for my weight based on the manufacturer's suggested weight?
Pretty much nobody makes boards specifically for bigger riders they all say like "185+" or "200+" but even then they're sticking you on a 162 or bigger usually and although that's fine if you're sticking to groomers or pow, if you plan on riding in the park at all you'll find that's gonna be too long for you to jib, butter, spin, etc.

I push 210-215 lbs usually and generally I am comfortable on ANY board down to like 156 and sometimes 155 depending on the board. I rode a noodly 156 most of last season, and my other boards i'll be riding this year are 156 and a 157 midwide. Pretty sure I exceed the recommended weight on all of them.

Only thing really to consider is that the heavier and/or stronger you are, the board will flex a little differently for you, it will probably ride a shade softer than it's rated.

Quote:
Am I over thinking this shit at this point?
Probably.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks man. I have a tendency to think about shit to much. Knowing your a little heavier then me and on the same size board makes me feel better.

I know some manufacturers make boards that are in the 156-158 range that hold more weight, but don't want to spend the money on an GNU or Lib Tech till next season. Plus the wife is new to the sport so I want her to enjoy it as much as possible.

Thanks again :Cheers: