Urgent Assistance - New Board Problems - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Urgent Assistance - New Board Problems

Hey guys, Ive been scouring the web trying to find that perfect match for me. Im 6'4" 230lbs size 13 feet and I currently ride a Battaleon The Jam 161. I love this board for its reverse camber catch free edges and the ability to butter up the mountain. I usually ride Groomers, no real mountain where I live. I usually take a snowboarding trip once if not twice a year and realized last year while shredding up Blackcomb that my current board was very average once I encountered some real pow.

Why I want a new board

Im currently using my Battaleon as a park/jib/freestyle board. I would like to choose a new board that will allow me to attack the mountain hard both in pow and groomers. I would also like this board to be a true twin because I love riding switch.

Current Boards on my shopping list

1. Jones Mountain Twin
2. Burton Camber Custom
3. Burton Custom X
4. Endeavor Live RC ? - thegoodride has no review on this board
5. Capita Totally FK'N Awsome

I do realize that both Burton boards are "Twinish" while the Jones is a True Tip to Tail Twin.

Any other board suggestions?

Last edited by BWayne89; 10-30-2012 at 06:28 PM.
BWayne89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayne89 View Post
Why I want a new board

Im currently using my Battaleon as a park/jib/freestyle board. I would like to choose a new board that will allow me to attack the mountain hard both in pow and groomers. I would also like this board to be a true twin because I love riding switch.
If you really want to charge groomers then custom X is probably the right choice. That said I think that it's a fundamental conflict to look for top performance in powder and on groomed snow.

If you want to make the most of west coast conditions and be well set up for softer snow days on the east side consider burton sherlock in wide format, i have one that I ride 90% of the time when I'm out west and whenever the snow is soft I ride it in Ontario too.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I hear you... Blue Mountain riding isnt the greatest of conditions. I know you cant really get yourself a great board for both groomers and pow but a nice average Groomer/Pow board is perfect.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Sherlock is for a sub 200lbs person. Im 230lbs ... oops
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Why are you looking at Custom and Custom X? Both of those boards are traditional camber and won't perform any better in pow than the Jam. In fact, the TBT on the Jam means its probably better in pow than those boards. You need to be looking at hybrid camber decks, IMO. I'd go with the Mountain Twin from your list here.

Also, I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Jam as I just picked one up this summer.
super-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just a heads up, the Jones isnt a true twin. Directional rocker and the inserts are setback 1cm.

Beefy all mountain twins: Flow Rush, Ride Machete GT, Nitro Factory Team, K2 Happy Hour, or maybe the Burton Antler.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-rad View Post
Why are you looking at Custom and Custom X? Both of those boards are traditional camber and won't perform any better in pow than the Jam. In fact, the TBT on the Jam means its probably better in pow than those boards. You need to be looking at hybrid camber decks, IMO. I'd go with the Mountain Twin from your list here.

Also, I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Jam as I just picked one up this summer.
I love the Jam, no complaints with it other then POW performance. I found i really had to dig my back leg in and pop that nose up just to get some lift. Other then that The Jam will help turn the mountain into your playground.

I only suggest the Custom and Custom X because both Nicolas Muller and John Jackson rock these boards in pow conditions.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayne89 View Post
The Sherlock is for a sub 200lbs person. Im 230lbs ... oops
Custom x and custom only rates for up to 215, I would say try before you rule them out.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Custom x and custom only rates for up to 215, I would say try before you rule them out.
I swear my height and weight are a curse in regards to this sport. In order for me to get the most out of a board I'm always forced to go with a bigger sized board 164+.... Not the greatest tool to be armed with when carving between the trees
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Were you riding centered? Or did you try moving your bindings back on the Jam for powder days? Makes the biggest difference, especially on camber decks.

Anyways, I have a buddy who is roughly 250 lbs and he rides a Custom X 164 just fine. It holds his weight and he had no trouble in 2 feet of fresh at Mt. Snow last season.
super-rad is offline   Reply With Quote