Goggles - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
BadMojo

Question Goggles

I've got a functional pair of Smith goggles. I've got no complaints at all about them, they give great visibility and comfort, and they cost $40. I'm in a board shop the other day, waiting to talk to a salesguy, and the dude in front of me is looking at a pair of $95 Shaun White Signature goggles! I'm trying to listen w/o being creepy, and the salesman is really buttering the guy up, but he doesn't really say anything about these shaun whites that my $40 pair doesn't do or have. And the dude buys the flashy $95 pair! Other than looks, is there anything that justified this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe ventilation...I don't know how different the Shaun Whites are.

The only ones I can think of that would actually be worth that much are spherical goggles, which apparently give you a better perception...I spent $40 on the Spy Zeds, and they're a little small but will work until the Spy Apollos next year =]

That, and its the saleperson's job to do that.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
BC-Rider

I have the Spy Zeds and they fit me perfectly. I love them soo much lol because I haven't had a decent pair of goggles in ages.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lucky...I have a big head and they're just a little small...the joys of being asian, my friend has them as well and said that they're too big...said theres a gap over her nose

Last ones I had were Uvex Superstars for $15...worked great for the 6 years that I had em, even though I treated them pretty poorly.,..don't even know where the baggy that came wtih it is.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gustov

the shaun white's are just oakley a-frames with a different color scheme, i don't think they cost much more than normal a-frames. they are nice goggles tho, i see more people wearing a-frames than any other goggle. as for the difference between those and cheaper goggles, that all depends. spherical lenses are nice to have but aren't entirely necessary. cheap goggles tend to fog up more often which sucks a lot. comfort is one of the more important things, and which type of lense is in the frame will make a big difference. i have some oakley crowbars and love em. got em for $50, its easy to find deals on goggles late in the year.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
livelyjay

Gustov is right, they are just a glorified Oakley A-Frame which only cost a little more than the regular A-Frames. I say let people get ripped off by sales people. I bought my Smith Concept Pro goggles for $28 and they work fine. The fog up only ever so often when I have my face mask on and I'm out of breath. Bought a clear lens (for night) for $16 and I just bought Smith Fuse with the Sensor Mirror lens (for overcast) for $32. So I have two frames and three lenses for less than that guy spent on one goggle.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
Lucky...I have a big head and they're just a little small...the joys of being asian, my friend has them as well and said that they're too big...said theres a gap over her nose

Last ones I had were Uvex Superstars for $15...worked great for the 6 years that I had em, even though I treated them pretty poorly.,..don't even know where the baggy that came wtih it is.
i'm asian and for the life of me i CAN NOT FIND A PAIR OF SPHERICAL GOGGLES THAT FIT. always pressure on the outer edges and a gap at the nose.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gustov

i have a pretty big head and my crowbars fit really well
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seedy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishydonut View Post
i'm asian and for the life of me i CAN NOT FIND A PAIR OF SPHERICAL GOGGLES THAT FIT. always pressure on the outer edges and a gap at the nose.
Not sure if they're available in the US, but have you tried any Dice goggles? They're a Japanese company, and make spherical goggles. I'm pretty sure they're designed for Asians. Might be just what you're looking for - I like mine, but they push down on my nose and there's very little pressure (for me) around the outer edges.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy J View Post
Not sure if they're available in the US, but have you tried any Dice goggles? They're a Japanese company, and make spherical goggles. I'm pretty sure they're designed for Asians. Might be just what you're looking for - I like mine, but they push down on my nose and there's very little pressure (for me) around the outer edges.
i will definitely look into this.
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote