Help narrowing the choices (I think) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help narrowing the choices (I think)

OK... I think I've gotten down to two boards that I like for my first board purchase. (well, many more than that, but I think I'm going to stick with these two)

Never Summer System vs Option Franchise

Opinions?

Key info:
6'2", 200lbs, size 11 Hail boots, beginner boarder hoping to expand skills, ultimately expect to be all mountain groom rider, mainly. Very little park or backcountry.

Both boards work out to same price, though MSRP on the NS is much lower (not sure if that says something about the two boards).
fostpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostpaint View Post
Never Summer System
Since I am selling one of those...I'd say go with that one!

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Since I am selling one of those...I'd say go with that one!
LOL.

Too bad it's too short for me. Why are you selling, might I ask? (seems odd you'd recommend a board you only used for 1/2 a season before getting rid of)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Now I'm second guessing myself. The more I read about both of these the more I worry they may be a little too stiff... (NS is a freestyle board, but sounds like ALL their boards run on the stiff side)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostpaint View Post
Now I'm second guessing myself. The more I read about both of these the more I worry they may be a little too stiff... (NS is a freestyle board, but sounds like ALL their boards run on the stiff side)
Their boards do run stiff, b/c they are made for any weight range to ride any size. Someone who is 200 could ride a 149cm, according to their reps I've spoken with. Thus, a 155cm deck for you would bar LESS stiff than it would for me (b/c I weight a lot less). So when your looking at NS decks, there really isn't a per se "recomended" length you should be riding. Also, as a new rider, a shorter more menuravble board will help you learn faster. The System is a great board. I would recommend it to anyone.

So, why am I selling it then? I wanted a really short and really soft freestyle board, so I got one (Rome Graft). 90% of the riding I do is at a small-ish local mountain. About 1/2 of that time is spent in the park. We never get powder (eat coast), and they groom the trails A LOT. Hence, for the very limited amount of terrain I get to ride, the Graft suits all of my needs a little better than the System. If I lived closer to a larger mountain, or had enough time/money to go up North (or out West), then there is no question I would want a full quiver of decks to deal with everything. In that case, the System would by my first choice for an all-mountain freestyle deck. But, since I am not afforded that luxury, I can't justify having two boards. There is no question that Graft is a better park board (for me), and no question the System is a better all-mountain board. But since a good chunk of my time is spent in the park, I'm keeping the Graft because it is more park-oritented.

Someone on here once said "Boards are like chicks. You need to ride a bunch to figure out what you like." I've ridden a bunch, and this point in my life, the Graft just suits my park-heavy riding a bit more than the System does.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feel your pow-less pain. I'm in Connecticut.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a System 161 I found a deal on (waist width is a consideration for me too). However, my bro-in-law has been riding with me this season and is thinking of dropping his 2 boards down to one (convert the skiers!!). He's a little smaller than me, so I may ping you about that 155.....